Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
The thing people don't like is that he takes so long that he misses out on a lot of top options, and then ends up "settling" like we did with Gattis. Many coaches don't like picking a school, starting the process of moving there, then at the last minute before Spring practice starts moving again. Like last year I get it, he wanted Dorsey, and there really wasn't a guarantee that he was getting Bills OC job, whereas this year I think Brian Johnson is CLEARLY in line for an NFL OC promotion without question. So if he was putting all his eggs in the Brian Johnson basket, and that predictably turns out to not happen, then we have to settle on a lesser OC because all the rest have already chosen a spot, that would be very annoying to happen two years in a row.
At the end of the day if the OC he chooses is a great hire, that's all that matters. But last time this happened we ended up with Gattis, and that failed. So if it Fails again, his process is clearly ****ed.

If you asked me would I prefer to wait an extra month or two and get a top OC, the answer is yes. But do I think waiting this long is necessary? Literally ONLY if you're trying to hire an NFL Coach currently in the playoffs.

But I think you have it backwards, sir. It sometimes takes so long BECAUSE he wasn't able to land the whales he's gone after. And that's not on him, he's taking his shot. Good. He most certainly could have landed "a guy" already, but he thinks he can do better, and I'm glad he does.

Really, I don't understand what the problem is. CFB is S&C from January until this coming week. Panicking and settling to get a staff in place before then would be idiotic. I have zero issue with him taking his time.

Is it possible there is like one WR we didn't get in the last portal period because we didn't have an OC? Sure. But who the **** cares? There is another portal period coming and one transfer WR that may or may not pan out that may or may not get injured vs. getting the best OC you can isn't comparable. Let the new OC/QB/WR draw a transfer. We're not talking about a whole class, its like 1-2 guys.

The baseless negativity here is absolutely astounding, but I have to say, I learn a lot about human nature here.

But I think you have it backwards, sir. It sometimes takes so long BECAUSE he wasn't able to land the whales he's gone after. And that's not on him, he's taking his shot. Good. He most certainly could have landed "a guy" already, but he thinks he can do better, and I'm glad he does.

Really, I don't understand what the problem is. CFB is S&C from January until this coming week. Panicking and settling to get a staff in place before then would be idiotic. I have zero issue with him taking his time.

Is it possible there is like one WR we didn't get in the last portal period because we didn't have an OC? Sure. But who the **** cares? There is another portal period coming and one transfer WR that may or may not pan out that may or may not get injured vs. getting the best OC you can isn't comparable. Let the new OC/QB/WR draw a transfer. We're not talking about a whole class, its like 1-2 guys.

The baseless negativity here is absolutely astounding, but I have to say, I learn a lot about human nature here.

Basing it on going through the exact same thing a year ago and landing Gattis and a 5-7 showing is not completely unfair or astounding for this fan base..

Advertisement
So Brian Johnson off the board does this mean its going to take Mario another 2 weeks to interview more people.............. or Mario trying to copy Belichick and go with no OC this year

Maybe he’s birthing an OC….

I'm half kidding above. I'm on record saying I don't give a flying F how long the hire takes....as long as he hits a home run.

The concern here is that he took his sweet a$$ time last year and hired one of the worst OC's in the history of this program.

I'm going to continue drinking heavily today.

Advertisement
TrumpyCane isn’t going to downplay Brady but it was also Burrows first year starting in college
If you take a look at his numbers towards the end of the year he finished with 13 total TD, 1 INT, 1200 yards, almost 70% completion, and a 173 QB rating in his last 4 games
Dude was older than some NFL qb’s. It’s not like it was a true Fr year versus a sophomore. There was one drastic change from the previous year. Brady. The second he left Orgeron went back to being a huge dufus and the O was meh.

He was there I think like four or five years, and had an overall losing record, and his teams were known for starting out OK, and then falling flat on their face at the end of the season. From that, to an actual NFL head coach? Not only that, Arizona had to fight off the Jets who also wanted him. I guess it’s because they thought he was Mr. super innovative.
A lot of group think in the NFL and teams have been pursuing mostly hot offensive systems for a bit now. KK benefited from that, probably because his offenses were very good in college and he coached Mahomes. His defenses were horrific and as you mentioned his teams were really streaky. But I agree it was a baffling hire and the two teams that wanted him have horrible front offices. It will be interesting to see if he can even stick in the NFL as an OC.

No one is coming from the NFL ranks to become OC under Mario, just not going to happen.

Not gonna happen now obviously with Johnson being the only canidate that fit the bill but anything can happen that’s why I never count it out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back