Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
difference being Todd Monken stepped into a situation at Georgia where they had already stacked Top 3 classes and had a defense that would keep them in any game. also had backup offensive players that would start day one at Miami. Margin of error is a lot wider at Georgia. there is really no comparison.

Monken also wasnt exactly a falling star when UGA got him.

He had been hired to be the OC at Tampa. He didn’t get fired, the coach did, and the new guy brought in his guy.

He’s then the OC at Cleveland, but isn’t allowed to call plays because the HC does, so he goes somewhere to continue to prove himself.

Candle was handed the best job in the MAC. Campbell turned it into a program that looked like it was going to be a perennial 10 win team, with the resource investment to guarantee it.

This was also at a time when teams where buying away MAC coaches to be their HC. Candle was put into a spot where it looked like he would be, and should have been, the next Dino or Campbell.

Instead he hasn’t landed a QB since he’s been the HC. The offenses have gone to sh*t. And the program has gone stale despite the recruiting classes and investment.

And so the P5 HC phone call everybody thought would be coming when he took over, has never come.

Monken wasn’t a disappointment when UGA got him that needed to rehabilitate himself.

Advertisement
Somebody interviewed for a position coach that Miami fans are very familiar with. So there’s still names interviewing that nobody in the media has an idea about. I’ll continue to believe the names being leaked are for a reason.

cat 1000th post GIF

Advertisement
Im not a coach nor do I understand the process of hiring a staff for a university’s football team; however, as someone who has looked at over 800 resumes and has interviewed roughly 10 people in the last 2 weeks, I do not understand how Mario can go months with the hiring process for his staff like this. I don’t think he does himself a service with this strategy. ND just hired a legit OC in a matter of days. I’m not saying not to do your due diligence but don’t over think it either.

I think it's really simple. I think Mario big game hunts while waiting to see who comes available with all the coaching chaos from December through February. If he lands a whale he wants, he shuts it down. If he lands a whale we have to wait to announce, the optics are the same. If he can't land a big whale along the way, he doesn't give a **** what jobs anyone has taken anywhere else and goes after the other guys he's had on his radar, whether they are "available" or not. None of Gattis, Steele, and Guidry were "available" when we hired them away from their current jobs. He waited and waited for Dorsey because he's a big game hunter. Maybe he's waiting for a guy in the SB? Maybe not.

But since literally every coordinator and most position coach hires have been sudden and surprises, why in the world is everyone losing their mind over leaked names and ripping the staff of a university they supposedly love?

For the life of me, I can't believe how any of this upsets people. You'd think people would gradually catch up. Not sure if anyone has noticed, but there is plenty of coaching movement still going on at programs not called Miami.

Let me make another OC/WR combo lol,

Snipe Liam Coen from Kentucky with a bag
Hire Spencer Whipple for PGC/ WR

I know this ish is unrealistic, let me dream

it was crazy to me how you get fired from Texas tech and wind up as an NFL HC.

He was there I think like four or five years, and had an overall losing record, and his teams were known for starting out OK, and then falling flat on their face at the end of the season. From that, to an actual NFL head coach? Not only that, Arizona had to fight off the Jets who also wanted him. I guess it’s because they thought he was Mr. super innovative.

I think it's really simple. I think Mario big game hunts while waiting to see who comes available with all the coaching chaos from December through February. If he lands a whale he wants, he shuts it down. If he lands a whale we have to wait to announce, the optics are the same. If he can't land a big whale along the way, he doesn't give a **** what jobs anyone has taken anywhere else and goes after the other guys he's had on his radar, whether they are "available" or not. None of Gattis, Steele, and Guidry were "available" when we hired them away from their current jobs. He waited and waited for Dorsey because he's a big game hunter. Maybe he's waiting for a guy in the SB? Maybe not.

But since literally every coordinator and most position coach hires have been sudden and surprises, why in the world is everyone losing their mind over leaked names and ripping the staff of a university they supposedly love?

For the life of me, I can't believe how any of this upsets people. You'd think people would gradually catch up. Not sure if anyone has noticed, but there is plenty of coaching movement still going on at programs not called Miami.
^^

Mario ’wasn‘t available’ when Saban hired him away from Al Golden’s Canes.

Advertisement

The thing people don't like is that he takes so long that he misses out on a lot of top options, and then ends up "settling" like we did with Gattis. Many coaches don't like picking a school, starting the process of moving there, then at the last minute before Spring practice starts moving again. Like last year I get it, he wanted Dorsey, and there really wasn't a guarantee that he was getting Bills OC job, whereas this year I think Brian Johnson is CLEARLY in line for an NFL OC promotion without question. So if he was putting all his eggs in the Brian Johnson basket, and that predictably turns out to not happen, then we have to settle on a lesser OC because all the rest have already chosen a spot, that would be very annoying to happen two years in a row.
At the end of the day if the OC he chooses is a great hire, that's all that matters. But last time this happened we ended up with Gattis, and that failed. So if it Fails again, his process is clearly ****ed.

If you asked me would I prefer to wait an extra month or two and get a top OC, the answer is yes. But do I think waiting this long is necessary? Literally ONLY if you're trying to hire an NFL Coach currently in the playoffs.

Advertisement
He was there I think like four or five years, and had an overall losing record, and his teams were known for starting out OK, and then falling flat on their face at the end of the season. From that, to an actual NFL head coach? Not only that, Arizona had to fight off the Jets who also wanted him. I guess it’s because they thought he was Mr. super innovative.
And IIRC he took the USC OC job, only to take the Arizona HC j weeks later.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back