The Number 26

CashMoneyCane

Mahoney 7
Lots of recent talk about the Turnover Chain and tradition, and there's a different one I would love to see implemented.

The number 26 holds a special place in all our hearts. And since we lost ST, time and time again we've seen guys commit and want number 26, get it, and make a mockery of it. Ray Armstrong was a joke and put the program in jeopardy. There have been a few since, and I just hate it when a guy gets it without earning it.

I've been saying for a while, I'd love the see 26 reserved only for an upper classman who proves to be worthy of wearing it. Jaquan Johnson should totally wear 26 this season (if he wants to). It would be a super cool tradition to have that and maybe a FEW other absolutely legendary numbers be reserved for guys that demonstrate the traits of those who wore it before.

For instance, 5, 20, 26, 47, 52, 76 and 98. NFL Hall of Fame type players.

Posting this in part just hoping the idea somehow makes way to the staff and it's considered, but would love to hear what you guys think.

Advertisement
ST26 was unbelievable!! My only problem is if we start reserving numbers there wont be any left. If you talk to guys who grew up in the 80s, numbers like 5, 47, 20 are special! Talk to someone like myself, who grew up watching the 01 canes, and numbers like 51, 17, 26, 20, 11, 5, 28, 2 (and I could go on and on) are special!

I like the tradition of not retiring or reserving numbers. We are the only school who doesn't and we are the only school which cant! We wouldn't have much left ..

Advertisement
ST26 was unbelievable!! My only problem is if we start reserving numbers there wont be any left. If you talk to guys who grew up in the 80s, numbers like 5, 47, 20 are special! Talk to someone like myself, who grew up watching the 01 canes, and numbers like 51, 17, 26, 20, 11, 5, 28, 2 (and I could go on and on) are special!

I like the tradition of not retiring or reserving numbers. We are the only school who doesn't and we are the only school which cant! We wouldn't have much left ..

Agree and would add 44 to that list, Dan Morgan won every award possible his senior year and was one of the best LB's to play at Miami.

Gurvan will remind a lot of us of ST, To me he's a Earl Thomas clone.

Then wouldn't he remind us of Earl Thomas?

I don't expect to ever see another ST26. Love that Hall has the confidence to ask for the number and hope he lives up to the hype.

If we retired numbers we’d have to use triple figures and the alphabet on the uniforms

Advertisement
I love the idea to have that # be earned, but I also like that Gurvan got it. Sean Taylor is my favorite Cane of All-time, he's right up there with Ray Lewis & Ed Reed for me, but Sean imo is Sacred.

He's one of God's greatest creations on that Football field, if you could dream up the perfect football player Sean is the exact design. He was the size of a LB, the speed of a RB, the ball skills of a WR & the savage mentality of a DE.

An extreme unrelenting competitor & had the poise of a veteran QB, he never looked shook or overwhelmed on any play. He was just the most dominant athlete every time he stepped foot on the field.

I fully believe had his life not been cut short, he would've been a multiple Super Bowl champion & won a Defensive MVP. So much potential it was scary how good he was becoming, he was actually having his best season the year he was killed smh **** shame man, I'm still not over it.

Pretty sure #10 is off limits for Mira no? and a couple others..

I love the idea to have that # be earned, but I also like that Gurvan got it. Sean Taylor is my favorite Cane of All-time, he's right up there with Ray Lewis & Ed Reed for me, but Sean imo is Sacred.

He's one of God's greatest creations on that Football field, if you could dream up the perfect football player Sean is the exact design. He was the size of a LB, the speed of a RB, the ball skills of a WR & the savage mentality of a DE.

An extreme unrelenting competitor & had the poise of a veteran QB, he never looked shook or overwhelmed on any play. He was just the most dominant athlete every time he stepped foot on the field.

I fully believe had his life not been cut short, he would've been a multiple Super Bowl champion & won a Defensive MVP. So much potential it was scary how good he was becoming, he was actually having his best season the year he was killed smh **** shame man, I'm still not over it.
Reason why Sean was home (from Washington)...he was getting a 2nd opinion on a slight injury....

Sean Taylor and Bo Jackson were the closest people I've ever seen to a real life superhero. The things they were able to accomplish from a physical standpoint should have been impossible.

Advertisement
Sean Taylor and Bo Jackson were the closest people I've ever seen to a real life superhero. The things they were able to accomplish from a physical standpoint should have been impossible.
He was the Most Naturally gifted FB player I've seen at UM (With Eddie Brown a close 2nd)....That being said.....He was fun to hang with....Kinda low keyed......Not boisterous...or Loud mouthed (like Portis)
Used to eat lunch with Sean at Seans favorite Rest back in 2003-04...He had a Silver Range Rover back then....a matter of fact....one time I went to eat Lunch with him...and on the way he spilt a Gatorade all over the inside of the Rover....had to pull over in Kendall to clean it up...LoL

Advertisement
Can't retire every # but #26 is a special number considering the circumstances surrounding that #.if any # should be retired it would have to be that #.as a cane fan seeing that # on a canes jersey should make your heart hurt.I just know mine does.

I would give this a million upvotes if I could. And this says it all:

"He was just the most dominant athlete every time he stepped foot on the field."

I can't think of many others I've seen that I could say that about. Barry Sanders comes to mind. The kind of guy who, no matter who he played against, no matter how good they were, nobody could stop him.

The other thing is, Taylor literally could have played six or seven positions and been good to great. Absolutely natural football player.

Advertisement
Back