The nobody gives a crap update

Mario is cool and all but we need to have plan b, c, d and whatnot. We cannot continue this path
TBH, he MIGHT(probably) should not be Plan A.

Our Canes need the right AD/HC pairing.

FFS, they make it too **** hard...

that osnt to say Super Mario isn't a good choice, but this knee jerk FOMO thinking put our Canes in this position we are today.

When you hit rock bottom, stop digging.

Advertisement
Not many of the posters here bring up Mark stoops. He’s been around successful programs and now he’s proving himself at UK. I’d be happy with him as HC
He’s good but does he take the program to the next level? Not saying he hasn’t been impressive at UK, but he is winning with Tennessee, USCe and Missouri all being pretty sub par in the SEC East.

maybe we are all putting the cart before the horse talking about coaches. No AD worth their salt would want to come here not being able to bring in their own head coach. We should probably be looking for suitable ADs before suitable coaches. And if UM decides to split the football dept into it's own program and have someone who solely is in charge of running the operations like a Highsmith, any prospective AD would be wanting some control to do something if that arrangement went south. Highsmith knows football and is qualified to change the culture of that program but I just don't see him in a larger AD type role. He's not qualified for that and I don't think he would even care for that.

Advertisement
Let WHAT man fight WHAT own battles? Did you not say this: "Me personally, I want someone with NFL and college head coaching experience"?

Nobody is GIVING THE JOB AWAY. Mario is the coach of the #3 team in the country. Sure, at any given moment, a team can lose and drop, BUT HE IS CURRENTLY THE COACH OF THE #3 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY. That is NOT "giving the job away", particularly when YOUR names are:

Bill O'Brien - not currently a head coach
Lane Kiffin - currently the head coach of the #13 team
Greg Schiano - currently the head coach of an unranked, not-even-receiving-votes team
Matt Rhule - currently the head coach of a 2-0 NFL team
Matt Campbell - currently the head coach of the #18 team
Luke Fickell - currently the head coach of the #8 team

So you are proposing SIX candidates who are not even performing at Mario's current level, while simultaneously claiming we would be "giving away" the job if we hired Mario.

Ridiculous.

"Due diligence" is not a guarantee of making the right hire. Lack of due diligence AND a bad hire is a problem.

I don't give a ****e "who is interested". Nearly every college coach in the country would be "interested". Whether they would be good fits...completely different issue.
Mario or bust for you. Even if I sit here and we talk about experience or win loss records it doesn't matter, you want Mario and no one else. And he is a good coach. I just think there are better coaches who may be available. And when I said let that man fight his own battles, it was because that message was directed at someone. Be careful about saying they aren't performing at his current level. The season is still very young.

TBH, he MIGHT(probably) should not be Plan A.

Our Canes need the right AD/HC pairing.

FFS, they make it too **** hard...

that osnt to say Super Mario isn't a good choice, but this knee jerk FOMO thinking put our Canes in this position we are today.

When you hit rock bottom, stop digging.
Couldn't agree more.

maybe we are all putting the cart before the horse talking about coaches. No AD worth their salt would want to come here not being able to bring in their own head coach. We should probably be looking for suitable ADs before suitable coaches. And if UM decides to split the football dept into it's own program and have someone who solely is in charge of running the operations like a Highsmith, any prospective AD would be wanting some control to do something if that arrangement went south. Highsmith knows football and is qualified to change the culture of that program but I just don't see him in a larger AD type role. He's not qualified for that and I don't think he would even care for that.
piggy backing off this, what would you guys think if Blake managed to stay as a neutered AD and they brought Highsmith just for football? Blake would be beta enough to accept that. Maybe that is the ultimate solution that would appease BOTs that love them some Blake and those that want to keep Blake the **** away from anything to do with the football dept.

Personally, I cannot get excited about any coach or debate the merits of candidates until there is an opening. Until then it is just wishful thinking that provides some emotional relief.

Advertisement
Mario or bust for you. Even if I sit here and we talk about experience or win loss records it doesn't matter, you want Mario and no one else. And he is a good coach. I just think there are better coaches who may be available. And when I said let that man fight his own battles, it was because that message was directed at someone. Be careful about saying they aren't performing at his current level. The season is still very young.

No, you have misstated my position.

If the move is made now, and we want to offer the job to Mario, we need to do so in a clear and definitive fashion.

If the move is made later, we likely lose Mario to either Oregon or USC, and there have been NO NAMES circulated that definitively demand "waiting".

So we are comparing a very good candidate with UM connections and recent success...TO A WHOLE LOT OF WILD-EYED SPECULATION.

Therefore, if you ask me to "wait around" and almost certainly lose out on a very qualified good-fit candidate, I am not as willing as you are to play head coach poker.

Advertisement
That's BS. If Miami wanted Bienemy, why would you wait and give someone else an opportunity to hire him? Makes no sense.
Gotta love Facebook insiders.

P.S. just in case some fake insider comes around with some bull**** about Bienemy or other bull****. Just know they tried on FB first and I cannot comment cause I am in Facebook jail. For the 7th time this year.

piggy backing off this, what would you guys think if Blake managed to stay as a neutered AD and they brought Highsmith just for football? Blake would be beta enough to accept that. Maybe that is the ultimate solution that would appease BOTs that love them some Blake and those that want to keep Blake the **** away from anything to do with the football dept.
Terrible idea, all 3 major sports are down under his "leadership". Why would you want a failure to stick around? Clean house already.

Advertisement
Everything you wrote is logical and makes sense. Having said that, I feel strangely hopeful. Like, maybe, just maybe we'll pull off something good here. Probably not, but hope springs eternal.

I mean, we've suffered for 16 years, with one (2017), maybe two (2016, Richt's first year) seasons where they were enjoyable. I think we've paid our dues as fans.

Once someone throws up in your car, you can try putting all the air fresheners you want in the car but until you rip out the upholstery completely and sanitize the steel frame underneath, your car will always smell faintly of vomit. Right now Miami needs to rip out everything in the athletic department and sanitize it to permanently get the stench of Blake James out of the building.

Advertisement
Back