The nobody gives a crap update

Advertisement
I just PM'd one of the other well-known/well-connected posters on this thread, we just have to be honest and focus on the right issues.

The UM BOT is too large. Over half of the BOT are not UM alums, they are only on the Board due to them living in SoFla and wanting to put their names on buildings. ****, I'll even give credit to A-Rod, he WOULD HAVE BEEN a UM alum if he hadn't been drafted so high.

The reality is that almost nobody on our BOT got the job because of some special knowledge or affinity for sports. People should about "the BOT doesn't care", but the truth is that they care a little bit WHILE HAVING NO INFORMED OR EXPERT IDEA ON WHAT TO DO NEXT.

If you hire, sayt, a very talented hair stylist to be the CEO of a tech company...you might not get the best results. That shouldn't be surprising.

The BOT knows that a problem exists. We need to keep up the pressure on the BOT to make sure they know this is not just some temporary fan-insanity over losing one game. But that doesn't mean that any of them have any genius insight into who to hire next. That is why any action, if it happens in the next few weeks, will likely be driven by a small-but-vocal minority of the BOT.

I've been posting the same core principles for years, you can go back and find my posts. The BOT is too large. We need to create a BOT sub-committee to handle Athletics, 60% can be Trustees, but the other 40% should be former players FROM ALL SPORTS (preferably UM-SHOF members). Beta Blake has spent far too long cultivating big UM donors and premium ticket-holders and has filled the department with people loyal to him. Nearly everyone in the administration of Athletic Department needs to be fired (it can be phased in over the next 8 months). Maybe Alonzo will succeed, maybe he will fail, but he cares, he is passionate, and he is more qualified than most. Maybe Mario will succeed, maybe he will fail, but he cares, he is passionate, and he can recruit like a ****.

I try not to go overboard in any direction. I may not like every UM Athletics hiree on Day 1, but I give them all a fair shot, and I root for my alma mater to succeed each and every year. But when I am DONE with a coach or an AD, I am really, really done. It's over. Move on.

I hope the interested and KNOWLEDGEABLE members of the BOT can carry the day and summon the will to fire Beta Blake first, and then Manny once we have made enough back-channel connections to know that someone is ready to accept the challenge.

GO CANES!
I’m so far removed from the situation, I rely heavily on guys like yourself and the few others here close to the program.

Hearing how large the BOT is was totally mind boggling to me. Multi- billion dollar corporations have way less members on their boards. How do that many people get together let alone come to a consensus on any issue; let alone an issue within the athletic department.

Your idea of forming an athletic sub-committee comprised of a diverse group of former players, coaches, and BOT members Is exactly my thought as well and an excellent one at that.

Advertisement
I’m so far removed from the situation, I rely heavily on guys like yourself and the few others here close to the program.

Hearing how large the BOT is was totally mind boggling to me. Multi- billion dollar corporations have way less members on their boards. How do that many people get together let alone come to a consensus on any issue; let alone an issue within the athletic department.

Your idea of forming an athletic sub-committee comprised of a diverse group of former players, coaches, and BOT members Is exactly my thought as well and an excellent one at that.
The decision, when it is made, will be made by the whales. After the stunt Blake pulled last time behind Soffer’s back?

He’s not leaving mid season. I’m just waiting to see if it’s reported that they are working on an extension.
Mario signed a 6-year $27M extension this past December. Oregon may very will need to pony up more but if I were them I'd wait at least into November. Great win at Ohio State but work through the season. Clinch the PAC12 North (again). Win the PAC12. Maybe a CFP invite.

Don't jump at media speculation.

Advertisement
Mario signed a 6-year $27M extension this past December. Oregon may very will need to pony up more but if I were them I'd wait at least into November. Great win at Ohio State but work through the season. Clinch the PAC12 North (again). Win the PAC12. Maybe a CFP invite.

Doesn’t matter what they do. I’m on board with most people here that say, give him your best offer and make him say no. None of the low ball and negotiate up.

Advertisement

Doesn’t matter what they do. I’m on board with most people here that say, give him your best offer and make him say no. None of the low ball and negotiate up.
I was referring to your comment on what Oregon may do in response to Mario's new-found coaching celebrity.

I'm in the pro-Mario camp.

Advertisement
Dan. He’s not a Bot member but is a heavy hitter. He’ll put his money where his mouth is.
Rick James GIF

I just PM'd one of the other well-known/well-connected posters on this thread, we just have to be honest and focus on the right issues.

The UM BOT is too large. Over half of the BOT are not UM alums, they are only on the Board due to them living in SoFla and wanting to put their names on buildings. ****, I'll even give credit to A-Rod, he WOULD HAVE BEEN a UM alum if he hadn't been drafted so high.

The reality is that almost nobody on our BOT got the job because of some special knowledge or affinity for sports. People should about "the BOT doesn't care", but the truth is that they care a little bit WHILE HAVING NO INFORMED OR EXPERT IDEA ON WHAT TO DO NEXT.

If you hire, sayt, a very talented hair stylist to be the CEO of a tech company...you might not get the best results. That shouldn't be surprising.

The BOT knows that a problem exists. We need to keep up the pressure on the BOT to make sure they know this is not just some temporary fan-insanity over losing one game. But that doesn't mean that any of them have any genius insight into who to hire next. That is why any action, if it happens in the next few weeks, will likely be driven by a small-but-vocal minority of the BOT.

I've been posting the same core principles for years, you can go back and find my posts. The BOT is too large. We need to create a BOT sub-committee to handle Athletics, 60% can be Trustees, but the other 40% should be former players FROM ALL SPORTS (preferably UM-SHOF members). Beta Blake has spent far too long cultivating big UM donors and premium ticket-holders and has filled the department with people loyal to him. Nearly everyone in the administration of Athletic Department needs to be fired (it can be phased in over the next 8 months). Maybe Alonzo will succeed, maybe he will fail, but he cares, he is passionate, and he is more qualified than most. Maybe Mario will succeed, maybe he will fail, but he cares, he is passionate, and he can recruit like a ****.

I try not to go overboard in any direction. I may not like every UM Athletics hiree on Day 1, but I give them all a fair shot, and I root for my alma mater to succeed each and every year. But when I am DONE with a coach or an AD, I am really, really done. It's over. Move on.

I hope the interested and KNOWLEDGEABLE members of the BOT can carry the day and summon the will to fire Beta Blake first, and then Manny once we have made enough back-channel connections to know that someone is ready to accept the challenge.

GO CANES!

There is an athletics sub-committee….the chair, as of last year, was David Epstein. Not sure if he still is.

Advertisement
Back