The NCAA, Wiseman and Memphis

Consigliere

All-American
Is anyone following this situation closely that can shed some insight?

1. Does anyone deny that Hardaway gave, before being the Memphis HC, $11K for moving expenses?

2. What is the stance of the school? It seems that the school fully supports Wiseman, by allowing him to play after the stay.

3. Did the court issue a stay within the 45 minutes (before game-time) after the NCAA ruling? How did Wiseman have his attorneys ready to go?

I am not asking for opinions on whether the NCAA should be allowed to do this, I am simply asking for clarification.

Advertisement
Think you have it mostly right. Bilas said last night that the NCAA has a bylaw that basically says if you go to court to get a TRO (temporary restraining order) in order to get a player to play in a game even though you think he's ineligible, and the NCAA later finds that the player was in fact ineligible, the NCAA can f**k your sh*t, up to and including a postseason ban.

As straight talk said, I don't really see how this or the Chase Young situation is any different than Dewan last year (other than the fact that the NCAA could care less about Miami basketball, while OSU is #1 in football).

1. Does anyone deny that Hardaway gave, before being the Memphis HC, $11K for moving expenses?

2. What is the stance of the school? It seems that the school fully supports Wiseman, by allowing him to play after the stay.

3. Did the court issue a stay within the 45 minutes (before game-time) after the NCAA ruling? How did Wiseman have his attorneys ready to go?

I am not asking for opinions on whether the NCAA should be allowed to do this, I am simply asking for clarification.

As for the third question, I think the NCAA was openly sniffing around on this during the summer, so Memphis knew it might be coming.

Think you have it mostly right. Bilas said last night that the NCAA has a bylaw that basically says if you go to court to get a TRO (temporary restraining order) in order to get a player to play in a game even though you think he's ineligible, and the NCAA later finds that the player was in fact ineligible, the NCAA can f**k your sh*t, up to and including a postseason ban.

As straight talk said, I don't really see how this or the Chase Young situation is any different than Dewan last year (other than the fact that the NCAA could care less about Miami basketball, while OSU is #1 in football).
Did you see Herbstreit today. Said money amount should be 4 game suspension. Ohio st will appeal and probably get it to two games. I am calling big time BS!! Would they reduce it for a Miami player? I do not remember if they did when Miami had like 6 guys suspended against Maryland for the Nevin fiasco. Chase should get 4 games.

Advertisement

But the NCAA made a decision. I think that bylaw only applies after the NCAA made a decision.

You know the system is f'd when the #1 football prospect and #1 basketball prospect are suspended at the same time. In response to OP, Memphis knew this was coming and had their strategy in place.

1. No. I think the real issue was Penny never thought he would become the head coach at Memphis 2 years ago.

2. The school does not care as the arena is still sold out along with season tickets.

3. The court is only delaying the inevitable. Only by NCAA rules was a rule broken. Everyone gets paid except the athletes.

Advertisement
Back