The NCAA is Vile

Advertisement
Wait, so if a head coach resigns, players can transfer without penalty? I never heard that, if true I'm certainly glad our players that were on the fence didn't jump over!

Good grief....last time I checked being closer to your Mother isn't a valid reason. But not knowing all of the facts doesn't put people in a position to comments on the ruling.

He's still transferring to VT he just has to sit out a year. If anything, he'll have more time to spend with his mum since he won't be playing football, so spare me the outrage.

Advertisement
Good grief....last time I checked being closer to your Mother isn't a valid reason. But not knowing all of the facts doesn't put people in a position to comments on the ruling.

It is a valid reason if it's due to a medical condition for an immediate family member and has been granted in the past.

The Athletic has a good article up today. Here's the reasoning from the NCAA:

Hoffman said he was told by Virginia Tech’s compliance department that his hardship was denied for two major reasons. First, Blacksburg is 105 miles from his home in Statesville, 5 miles outside the 100-mile radius set by the NCAA in the 2012 modification of the waiver rules, a distance picked because it “demonstrates the ability for the student-athlete to provide regular, ongoing care.”

By transferring to Virginia Tech, Hoffman cuts his trip home in half, from four to two hours. In fact, during a half dozen trips to visit Blacksburg this fall as part of the recruiting process, he’s more easily been able to stop in at home. The shorter trip also would make it easier for his mother and his family to go see him play in games.

Hoffman said the waiver also was denied in part because his mother’s condition has improved in the two years since he enrolled at Coastal Carolina, though he noted that she will “never 100% be the same.”

Both school administrations were outraged by the decision. The family has now hired legal representation to help file the appeal. Both schools have written responses to the NCAA in support of the waiver.

Another example of a student athlete filing what was perceived to be a simple waiver request without legal representation and getting denied.

Advertisement
Back