The Myth Of Golden Being A Good Recruiter

Stop. He recruited that class with the full heat of the ncaa investigation over the program. Other coaches were actually believably claiming we were gonna get the death penalty. There are plenty of areas to criticize golden but this isn't really one of them

Advertisement
"Said this b4 to the slurp derps that Golden was extremely overrated as a recruiter. Each year after his 1st real class in 2012, it got worst. The attrition rate under Golden was unbelievable, worst under any coach in the P5.

Couple that w/ the shear lack of player development, in particular, on the defensive side of the ball, and you have the worst coach in Canes football history, imo."

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. His classes got worse not because he couldn't recruit, but because he couldn't win games. Jesus would have a tough time pulling a top 10 class with a 6-7 record, I'm pretty sure al was doing a decent job on the recruiting trail. It's just all the other parts of coaching that he sucked at. And regarding the attrition rate, nobody outside the program really knows about that do they? I know it's in fashion to assume that if al kicked a kid out or didn't land a kid he must be the best player ever, but come on. When Butch gets here and a kid leaves will anyone be saying "OMGHEWASTHEBESTYOUSUCKHOWCOULDYOULETHIMGOOOOOSSSS!!!!!1!" I'm guessing no. All of a sudden that kid's a bum who we didn't need anyway.

Point is, only MOST of the stuff al did sucked, not all.

Al Golden was an awful recruiter at Miami. This really isn't even up for debate. He was slaughtered on his own turf the last few seasons for elite prospects. It was an absolute bloodbath.

We've been bad for so long that people look at some of our starting talent on defense and think "oh man he was a great recruiter." This is still Miami. It's not hard to bring in talent. Overall, though, if you look at how badly he missed on the top kids in his own backyard, he was atrocious. We're also terribly thin at some positions due to him stacking bad classes against each other at certain spots.

He also failed to leave the state and win any meaningful battles against other top programs. All I can really think of is him and Coley landing Kaaya - who like most QBs, committed early and stuck - and AQM, who couldn't make it into ND. Golden never showed an ability to go national and pull himself a blue chipper from OOS in a true battle.

But all that takes a backseat to him standing by and watching other programs ransack SoFla for the top end talent.

Oh and his camp offers were brutal.

Advertisement
HAVE YOU SEEN HOW BAD THIS TEAM HAS BEEN FOR YEARS? It's frickin' amazing anybody still wanted to come to Miami. Sure, there were misses aplenty, but other than fsu and Clemson, who do we play with more talent? Each year we play 2 teams that have more talent than us and we lose 4-7 games. It's on field coaching, not recruiting. And if he was atrocious good lord, what does that say about randy?

Like I mentioned in the other thread, recruiting is multi-faceted.

Golden was a good salesman, but he was not a good evaluator.

LMAO! @ He developed players and He was a crooter'. MFer lost His last game 58 $h!t!...you hear me, 58 $h!t!
Rudolph scored 3 long TDs last Saturday, and He tried this man for a CB!...on that note, LMFAO! at His evaluation skills.

Advertisement
I've got to give F. A. G credit! He is a master con artist and to get as far as he did without having any feel whatsoever for football strategy and having zero clue on how to evaluate talent and use it is a minor miracle in it's self!

I have always been dumbstruck on how a guy with the football background that he has could be so completely lost in terms of the actually game. If you take a really close look it's astonishing just how little he seems to understand football. The guy literally has no feel for the game at all. It was almost as if he never really figured the it out. Now put that together with his talent evaluations, camp offers, roster management and player utilization and almost seems that he had no clue what he was doing or why.

It was like he took Groh's entire playbook and practice structure and regurgitated them without ever comprehending the concepts behind them. I frequently had the feeling that he was just faking it while distracting everyone with his silver tongue. It almost seems as if he wanted to see how far he could get in the profession on pure BS and manipulation. It's crazy to think but I have always has the visceral impression that He and Dorito hatched this plan after college. Al of course being the charismatic con artist front man while Dno backed him up as his sidekick. I'm just glad that he is gone!

Last edited:
Golden was another guy described as a "recruiter." Of course his "recruiting" ability fell off a cliff when people saw the product he produced and his ability to evaluate talent was obviously horrific.

Advertisement
Any decent coach would take that class in a heart beat. Golden was horrible at developement. And possibly even worst at getting guys to focus and buy in long enough to not get kicked off the team. Ever school takes on kids with questionable character.

Golden was another guy described as a "recruiter." Of course his "recruiting" ability fell off a cliff when people saw the product he produced and his ability to evaluate talent was obviously horrific.

This is true but what also is true is when u become miamis coach your recruiting against saban mikes Fisher...... Different animal. Just because u can recruit at temple,houston,memphis,doesnt mean you can do it here. Miami needs a elite recruiter if not they will stand where they r right now and ybats mediocre. I truly believe this,whwn we won big we had better players period.

I think he was a "good" recruiter. He failed at understanding what to do with them when they got to campus. I think you can separate the 2.

Advertisement
There's a difference between being a recruiter and developing that talent. We keep seeing these kids going to the NFL and playing well. The talent was there, he just didn't know how to use it. Furthermore, he couldn't keep them in school. About a third of his first three recruiting classes either didn't make it in, transferred out or were kicked out.

I think he was a "good" recruiter. He failed at understanding what to do with them when they got to campus. I think you can separate the 2.

This. He was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Based on rankings alone, he was a "good" recruiter. But his scheme sucked big time. His downfall is not being able to see that its not working and make the necessary changes.

Terrible at evaluating talent.

Nailed it

If Coley didn't find Kaaya, who on earth would be our QB right now ?

Gray crow, lol.

This is the perfect example. Al had Paxton Lynch - the monster qb now at Memphis - in camp at least once. Kid is from Deltona. Al probably saw him quite a few times.

Instead, we offer Crow. Don't want to bash Crow or anything, but Lynch definitely stood out in the footage I saw.

He wasn't great at anything, but he did amass some talent for the next coach. Last year alone we had 7 players drafted so he was doing something right. As I said, he wasn't a great recruiter, but he did accumulate a good amount of talent except for OL and DT.

The guys that were drafted were Shannon recruits.
Ereck flowers? At the end of the day those guys were developed. perryman, Clive walford, Duke Johnson, Phillip Dorsett, flowers, armbrister, Gunter. They all got better every year. Coming from highschool I would have never though Dorsett would have been a 1st round pick

ereck was a stud as a freshman. idk if duke johnson got "better" or just got more touches as he became starter. gunter wasn't even a regular starter his senior year so idk if he progressed every year. clive definitely got better and dorsett kinda did although it was was hard to tell considering dorsett was underutilized most of his time here.

Advertisement
Back