The Myth Of Golden Being A Good Recruiter

Advertisement
He worked David the beast Njoku at LB for a few days of practice.. this is all you need to know.

he was a decent recruiter but a horrible Coach... Had he won more games, a lot of the kids that originally committed to The U more then likely would be here today...
He was a good recruiter not elite. Let's face it though we will always get talent based on our history and location. Next coach has to get the studs to stay home. No more losing the Dalvin Cook's and Calvin Ridley's amongst others.

look at any programs recruiting classes. The amount of kids that become something will be very similar. Golden's issue was the mass exodus of players that showed potential early and were gone the next season. Attrition really hurt. A lot of characters were asked to leave.

He wasn't great at anything, but he did amass some talent for the next coach. Last year alone we had 7 players drafted so he was doing something right. As I said, he wasn't a great recruiter, but he did accumulate a good amount of talent except for OL and DT.

The guys that were drafted were Shannon recruits.
Ereck flowers? At the end of the day those guys were developed. perryman, Clive walford, Duke Johnson, Phillip Dorsett, flowers, armbrister, Gunter. They all got better every year. Coming from highschool I would have never though Dorsett would have been a 1st round pick

Pretty sure Ereck Flowers was a Shannon recruit, he just stayed on when Golden got the job. Correct?

Regardless, you don't get props for offering/signing Ereck Flowers. He was a stud and the best lineman prospect in our area.

Advertisement
look at any programs recruiting classes. The amount of kids that become something will be very similar. Golden's issue was the mass exodus of players that showed potential early and were gone the next season. Attrition really hurt. A lot of characters were asked to leave.

That's called POOR RECRUITING.

Offering kids that have no business playing at Miami.

For the billionth time...

EVALUATING TALENT is part of recruiting. Deciding who deserves an offer and who can/can't play ball at this level.

THAT, my friends, is what Golden is dogsh!t terrible at.

Signing Danny Dilliard, Larry Hope and Nate Dortch instead of Fabian Moreau.
Signing Braxton Berrios instead of Isaiah McKenzie. (or even the white WR at UNC that's better than Berrios)
Almost not signing Denzel Perryman.
Not recruiting James Burgess or Quincy Wilson.
Offering Dennis Turner, Ryan Mayes and Nigel Bethel instead of Juwan Dowels or Ronnie Hoggins. (following class)
Not offering Skai Moore. (until it was too late)
Not recruiting Luther Maddy.
Recruiting Travis Rudolph as a Cornerback.

And we won't even begin to talk about the guys he struck out on. The list is long.

LOL @ anybody who looks at this current roster...as well as the turnover from previous rosters... and still considers him a good recruiter.

Golden2.jpg

Advertisement

So we didn't lose any kids that could play? None? Again, every recruiting class at every program has plenty of wash outs. I am certainly not advocating for Golden as a super recruiter but this roster today is pretty darn good. The kids that were asked to leave because of character issues doesn't qualify him as a poor recruiter.

So we didn't lose any kids that could play? None? Again, every recruiting class at every program has plenty of wash outs. I am certainly not advocating for Golden as a super recruiter but this roster today is pretty darn good. The kids that were asked to leave because of character issues doesn't qualify him as a poor recruiter.

So signing Nate Dortch, Larry Hope and Danny Dillard wasn't poor recruiting?
Signing Dequan Ivery and Jacoby Briscoe wasn't poor recruiting?
Signing Dwayne Hoillet wasn't poor recruiting?

Majority of the guys that couldn't cut it here and transferred SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN OFFERED TO BEGIN WITH.

And some of those kids got offers from Golden when there were better players available in our backyard.

He wore a tie doe

He has great hair doe

Miami has the 2nd most players in the NFL.

Miami has higher rated classes than everyone it plays except FSU for a decade.

The problem is and was COACHING.

Al Golden was considered one of the best recruiters in the biz. But when you can't win, you can't recruit. We have gone over this hundreds of times for the love of god.

He had the cloud doe...

He had a process....doe....

EVALUATING TALENT is part of recruiting. Deciding who deserves an offer and who can/can't play ball at this level.

Signing Braxton Berrios instead of Isaiah McKenzie. (or even the white WR at UNC that's better than Berrios)
Offering Dennis Turner, Ryan Mayes and Nigel Bethel instead of Juwan Dowels or Ronnie Hoggins. (following class)

And we won't even begin to talk about the guys he struck out on. The list is long.

LOL @ anybody who looks at this current roster...as well as the turnover from previous rosters... and still considers him a good recruiter.

I would add Rashad Felton to that list of players Golden ignored.

Advertisement

Ethered! Very nicely put Coach!

I want Coach Beardy "Macho" Ryan to be the next Ice Harris.

Win big in So. Fla. and come to The U!

I think a better picture would show what players he missed out on in positions of need.

And what players loved Miami and didnt come to Miami.

What players decommited from Miami.

So many kids dont want to leave their mommas... Those are basically the SFL kids that Golden got.

Advertisement
garbage in the trenches as usual except for flowers who would've come to Miami if my dog was coaching them

The OP is dead wrong, Golden was a very good recruiter, tireless, relentless, he left this roster a heck of a lot better then he found it. I really wonder how hard Butch would put into recruiting? He was good at one time but now he is looking for a fat paycheck to go into retirement. That's why they put CEOs out to pasture in the business world. Give me a young, aggressive coach any day, Butch is a washed up old man.

The OP is dead wrong, Golden was a very good recruiter, tireless, relentless, he left this roster a heck of a lot better then he found it. I really wonder how hard Butch would put into recruiting? He was good at one time but now he is looking for a fat paycheck to go into retirement. That's why they put CEOs out to pasture in the business world. Give me a young, aggressive coach any day, Butch is a washed up old man.

the-trolling-is-strong-in-this-one.jpg

LOL....

Since when does how hard you work matter more than what you accomplish?

Dumb people have to work 10 xs harder than smart ones to accomplish the same things, but using your logic its the dumb ones you want.

I guess i cant blame you for rooting for the home team.

Golden has worked harder then any other recruiter and has accomplished less than most in the most resource rich area of the country. Bottom line is he didn't relate to SFL kids and convinced no one to stay. He simply got the kids that were coming no matter what. His SFL recruiting results wold have been almost the exact same if the only thing is did was mail out offers and hosts visits.

Advertisement
Back