The most important position battle on defense

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
Is for the Will LB position. It's no secret how embarrassingly bad the LB play was last year. McCloud and Jennings played most of the snaps and their play was so atrocious it set a new standard for bad LB play.

Now McCloud has moved to DE and 2nd year freshman Corey Flagg is set to build on what was a promising 1st year and claim the starting job at Mike LB. Flagg will have rising Striker Gil Frierson on one side and the TBD starter at Will LB. The DL loses 2 DEs to the draft but is deep, talented and will now be coached by Jess Simpson which should greatly improve technique, fundamentals and attention to detail. With the hiring of Travaris Robinson to coach DBs, the abundance of talent at the Safety position should translate to the field better than it did last year. Despit the lack of UM caliber depth the CB position returns experience and frontline talent that should also benefit from TRobs coaching.

This leaves the currently open Will LB position as the biggest question mark and likely the most important given the U it's dreadful performance last year. To be frank, seeing Jennings back out there does absolutely nothing for this defense. He has had his opportunities and it's time one of the more talented younger players step up and take that starting job. There are plenty of players competing for this position in Sam Brooks, Avery Huff, and Tirek Austin Cave. True freshmen Deshawn Troutman and Tyler Johnson will likely redshirt but I've seen stranger things happen. There is also the possibility of moving Keontra Smith from Striker to Will LB and this is something that I am very much in favor of considering the chatter out of Spring has been that Brooks is still dealing with injuries and that Huff and Cave may not be ready yet. On the other hand reports on Keontra Smith this Spring have been extremely positive as it has been said that Smith is legitimately pushing Frierson for the job at Striker. Why limit Smith to backup reps at Striker when we can move him to Will and have our best players on the field at once? Whatever the outcome, whoever gets the nod at Will LB will have a tremendous opportunity to turn around the disaster at LB that was last season.

Advertisement
Drunk talk from me, but what ever happened to putting another 15 lbs on someone (from a loaded safety room) and moving them to LB? Looking at you, Gurvan & Amari. James Willams not mentioned above?

Advertisement
We need some fights breaking out at practice, always loved them especially participating in my share .

Keep us updated on brawls this is a healthy sign positions are being claimed and territories being marked MINE .

If this doesn’t happen then a weakness takes it’s place and festers and shows it’s face in critical game conditions.

GOCANES

We need some fights breaking out at practice, always loved them especially participating in my share .

Keep us updated on brawls this is a healthy sign positions are being claimed and territories being marked MINE .

If this doesn’t happen then a weakness takes it’s place and festers and shows it’s face in critical game conditions.

GOCANES
This. If they're fighting, they're competing. Well, that's what my old HS coach used to always say.

313E13C6-8DA3-4469-BA2B-3597B9AD00C2.gif

Advertisement
Not that common anymore teams living and dying by their LBs. How about get some discipline up front so the LBs aren’t dealing with linemen up their *** for one thing.

We got Dennis Hopper with an eyepatch running rogue up front and expect our LBs to run fill?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the SLB spot that we need to fill? Didn't striker take the WLB spot?

This. If they're fighting, they're competing. Well, that's what my old HS coach used to always say.
Your coach was wise.👍

My finest work motivating was Chickillo was a second late on a sack after I claimed my FOOD QB in practice as we went to huddle up , I yelled

HEY CHICK RUNNING A LITTLE LATE TODAY .

I got my hardest head slap from Chick that day.

Then after practice we were doing cannon balls of my dock on Blue Lake ( crystal clear ) 92 ave .

Bird Roaders here know the area.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the SLB spot that we need to fill? Didn't striker take the WLB spot?
Striker replaced the Sam Backer position in this Defense, we have a Mike, a Will & a STK.

That’s why McCloud has struggled so bad playing at LB for the last 5 years, because he was a natural Sam backer but got moved to Weak side & never have the lateral footwork or football IQ to play at that position.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back