The most important coach after the Head Coach?

MainLineCane

No More Excuses / Time to win

Do you agree? ....How do we compare now?

Back when we dominated our players took great pride in going above and beyond what all other teams were doing for self improvement.

Back then I cannot remember the Canes ever being overpowered or out conditioned in a game.

The 4th quarter really BELONGED to us ...we knew it....and so did everyone else.

Maybe I have a selective memory but that's what I recall.

We need that mindset again.

Advertisement
I recall us owning the 4th, with ease. We definitely could use that to our advantage this season. As to Feeley I think the verdict isn’t completely out on him yet, although his start to the offseason went very well. Let’s see how he works with the players over the course of the Summer and what his thoughts are for Fall camp, then the season as a whole. We’ll see then how effective his S&C program is doing. But I like the results thus far.

YES the summer will tell all

I'll also be glad when we can get back to practicing outdoors in the heat.

Ive never been a fan of practicing in AC comfort unless you really have to...or lightning is a real threat.

We need to be fully prepared, ....and in the best possible shape to win on August 24.

My guess is that it's going to be a real intense physical WAR....with no break being given to either team from the weather....so we better come ready

Last edited:
It's hilarious that everyone is talking so much about the S&C coach (Feeley or otherwise) when anyone, ANYONE that has seriously trained knows nutrition is at least 80% of the game, at minimum. Training is not complicated. Lift heavy, eat right and sleep. Getting adequate explosiveness and conditioning is a bit more challenging, but anyone who is creative can come up with most of that on their own. The added benefit from a strength trainer produces rapidly diminishing marginal returns over a basic S&C program. The above-referenced article indicates the S&C coach is so important because he gets to spend so much time with the players. That's not necessarily wrong, but from an impact standpoint, I don't get it. Sure, 18 year old guys don't really know how to work out. But once the foundation is set, it's not hard.

The answer to the question is simple. If the HC is a defensive guy, the OC is the second most important coach. If the HC is an offensive guy, the DC is the second most important coach. The coordinators will dictate the world in which all the position coaches operate. If we're talking about training, a nutritionist provides a **** of a lot more value, on the margin, than an S&C coach.

It's hilarious that everyone is talking so much about the S&C coach (Feeley or otherwise) when anyone, ANYONE that has seriously trained knows nutrition is at least 80% of the game, at minimum. Training is not complicated. Lift heavy, eat right and sleep. Getting adequate explosiveness and conditioning is a bit more challenging, but anyone who is creative can come up with most of that on their own. The added benefit from a strength trainer produces rapidly diminishing marginal returns over a basic S&C program. The above-referenced article indicates the S&C coach is so important because he gets to spend so much time with the players. That's not necessarily wrong, but from an impact standpoint, I don't get it. Sure, 18 year old guys don't really know how to work out. But once the foundation is set, it's not hard.

The answer to the question is simple. If the HC is a defensive guy, the OC is the second most important coach. If the HC is an offensive guy, the DC is the second most important coach. The coordinators will dictate the world in which all the position coaches operate. If we're talking about training, a nutritionist provides a **** of a lot more value, on the margin, than an S&C coach.

It wasn't as simple as just because they spend so much time with the team and get them in shape. It was explained more in that because of extra time, they essentially build the mentality and culture of the team. I buy it and it's clear the top coaches do as well with how much they value their strength coach.

Advertisement

then why are we getting pushed around by pitt? wisconsin? boston college?

it's not easy, stop

Advertisement

Back when we dominated our players took great pride in going above and beyond what all other teams were doing for self improvement.

Back then I cannot remember the Canes ever being overpowered or out conditioned in a game.

The 4th quarter really BELONGED to us ...we knew it....and so did everyone else.

Those teams were also just better than everyone else.

It wasn't as simple as just because they spend so much time with the team and get them in shape. It was explained more in that because of extra time, they essentially build the mentality and culture of the team. I buy it and it's clear the top coaches do as well with how much they value their strength coach.

I agree with this. Because of the way the NCAA rules are set up, the strength coach spends more time with the players than the other coaches. A good strength coach doesn't just preach workout and nutrition. He needs to echo the HC's message to instill work ethic and culture. He keeps everyone rowing in the right direction.

Well spoken my friend

I agree with this. Because of the way the NCAA rules are set up, the strength coach spends more time with the players than the other coaches. A good strength coach doesn't just preach workout and nutrition. He needs to echo the HC's message to instill work ethic and culture. He keeps everyone rowing in the right direction.
I agree...and Manny said as much when first hired.

The only question/concern right now, especially if the # of injuries is above norm as others have posted, is whether we are working too hard?

Some guys were complaining about practices in shorts, etc and one of players that post here said to chill because can't go full speed all the time.
Structured "tapering" is as important to game-day performance as anything else imo. How many times have we seen "tired legs" and blame on "not training enough" where it is more often than not, overwork and/or bad nutrition and sleep cycles.

Your post reminded me that you can't turn a rowboat into a speedboat overnight without having some man overboard situations. Just have to make sure we minimize.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Feeley and his staff are with the kids constantly during the season and throughout the offseason. Most important group of staffers by far.

We'll know his value after the first weekend of December. You'll have seen it during the summer, through a season's worth of 4th qtrs, and it WILL show during that ACCCG against Clemson. We will have our answer then.

Don't sell Kyle Bellamy and his staff short as well.

Feeley and his staff are with the kids constantly during the season and throughout the offseason. Most important group of staffers by far.

We'll know his value after the first weekend of December. You'll have seen it during the summer, through a season's worth of 4th qtrs, and it WILL show during that ACCCG against Clemson. We will have our answer then.

Don't sell Kyle Bellamy and his staff short as well.

I agree somewhat

Because I feel we'll have a very strong indication much sooner than that... i.e. August 24...

At the very least Aug 24 will show if we're headed in the right direction

As you put so well, the full season worth of well conditioned no quit performance in the 4th Qtr, especially later in the season should provide confirmation of his value.

We may lose a game because we were out coached ( It is Diaz's 1st year)..... or run into a team that simply has more higher quality talent ( like a Clemson/Bama)....BUT we should NEVER be out conditioned

Advertisement
The last time I remember the Canes being so well conditioned that the 4th quarter was owned was in the ‘04 opener vs FSU. When Sinorice Moss housed that bubble screen the FSU defense was totally gassed. And then Gore practically walked into the end zone from 25 yards out in the overtime because the FSU defenders had nothing left at that point.

The program’s decline coincided with losing that edge in conditioning.

I'll also be glad when we can get back to practicing outdoors in the heat.

Ive never been a fan of practicing in AC comfort unless you really have to...or lightning is a real threat.
Yeah, but Manny is aware of that at least. Which is why they randomly turn off the a/c and "open the doors" for practice.

Moffit was Da Gawd!!!

Advertisement
Back