the morning after, the little things were big...

k9cane

Senior
Yeah, the sun still came out - barely. But the dark clouds of that implosion last night remain. Now, Ive/we've talked about the non-victory formation/fumble, but a few other things just stick in my mind that were costly in terms of the big picture in tight games..

- first drive of the game, the offense gash them early and create momentum. But Jacolby George gets an after-the-play personal foul. Now, instead of having a 1st down in good field position, it becomes 1st and 21 backed up 15 yards. Drive stalls

- Corey Flagg gets a taunting penalty near the goal line after a tackle. 15 yards, which helps Gatech flip the field a bit. Which is key in a low scoring, close game. Flagg and the rest of our players have to have better situational awareness. The ACC officials have a certain bias, this isn't 1989, you simply can't do what Bernard Clark did. You are allowed to celebrate with your teammates, you absolutely can not get in a guys face. That's a lack of discipline and just plain dumb

- That last play, Kam Kinchens as a safety has to always been the deepest guy in that situation. But instead he gambles and tries to jump a route, in a 3 point game. Worst case scenario, Leary catches the ball, and they get a chance to tie the game -- and you might go to OT. Fine, not the best case scenario but it beats losing in regulation. That was an inexcuable mental error

Now, can we bounce back for UNC?

I have no idea, this reminds me a ton(and you veterans of this stuff will remember this) of the gut wrenching 1999 loss to Penn St at the Orange Bowl. After Chafie Fields broke our hearts, I remember that very talented 1999 squad go into about a month long funk. I can't lie, Im not that optimistic going into next Saturday

Advertisement
Yeah, the sun still came out - barely. But the dark clouds of that implosion last night remain. Now, Ive/we've talked about the non-victory formation/fumble, but a few other things just stick in my mind that were costly in terms of the big picture in tight games..

- first drive of the game, the offense gash them early and create momentum. But Jacolby George gets an after-the-play personal foul. Now, instead of having a 1st down in good field position, it becomes 1st and 21 backed up 15 yards. Drive stalls

- Corey Flagg gets a taunting penalty near the goal line after a tackle. 15 yards, which helps Gatech flip the field a bit. Which is key in a low scoring, close game. Flagg and the rest of our players have to have better situational awareness. The ACC officials have a certain bias, this isn't 1989, you simply can't do what Bernard Clark did. You are allowed to celebrate with your teammates, you absolutely can not get in a guys face. That's a lack of discipline and just plain dumb

- That last play, Kam Kinchens as a safety has to always been the deepest guy in that situation. But instead he gambles and tries to jump a route, in a 3 point game. Worst case scenario, Leary catches the ball, and they get a chance to tie the game -- and you might go to OT. Fine, not the best case scenario but it beats losing in regulation. That was an inexcuable mental error

I have no idea, this reminds me a ton(and you veterans of this stuff will remember this) of the gut wrenching 1999 loss to Penn St at the Orange Bowl. After Chafie Fields broke our hearts, I remember that very talented 1999 squad go into about a month long funk. I can't lie, Im not that optimistic going into next Saturday
They have no timeouts if he stops him in bounds the game could be over.

Absolute B.S. call. That's just as bad as when they called a holding against Francis when he pancaked that dude. He did celebratory yell as he was getting up, he was already in his face. Not like he did a throat chop or something.

Advertisement
Flagg should not have been penalized for taunting.

Francisco shouldn't have been penalized for roughing the passer.

Cooper shouldn't have been penalized for a hold on that TD.

The hold call on a shank punt was ridiculous.

Good post. Kitchens was trying to do his best impression of Sean taylor and Ed Reed but lacked situational awareness and discipline. We still could have won the game on D at end despite everything else. We definitely choked big time.

This loss was way worse than the 1999 loss to psu. I remember kenny kelly and the offense in the rain getting off to a bad start against PSU in 1st half which didn't help things. James Jackson just missed the first down on 4th and 1, psu's QB made a perfect throw right over Rumph and Ed Reed didn't anticipate the play well and took a bad angle. We should have won that game but to lose to an inferior Gatech team the way we did, is worse than inexcusable. If we can beat UNC and fsu it will go a long ways to helping forget about last night.

Last edited:
Advertisement
All of this and the holding call that brought back a TD was a killer. All game king I had a feeling we were going to lose and I was worried even when we had the ball just prior to the Chaney fumble. Just had that feeling

They have no timeouts if he stops him in bounds the game could be over.
Left side DE stays outside qb doesn’t roll out to that side. he does it would have been at a retreating angle making the throw downfield harder. He rolls left it’s a shorter field making the best option for a throw to be back across his body.

Excellent post!

Mario has erased his margin. The North Carolina game is now enormous. You can make arguments about how mathematically that's not the case, but if Mario wants to recover this thing, he better have everyone, including himself, dialed in for UNC.

if we're going to self-scout, truly self-scout then mario has to see that his game mgmt needs to be shored up

put a greybeard in the box upstairs to advise on when to challenge (and not), clock mgmt, time outs...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back