The More You Know...About B.C.

View as article

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
128.jpg

As the season opener against Boston College draws near, I decided to take the time to give a light-hearted preview to help you better know our enemy this week:

1. Where they are in the standings/rankings:

Atlantic Coast ConferenceConference RecordOverall Record

Undefeated (and unranked)...just like us. A venerable clash of the titans. Historically speaking we own these jokes. However, we actually have a losing record against them since joining the ACC. Feel free to step away from your computer screen and kick your dog after reading that previous sentence. Another thing to remember is going all the way back to the '90's, Miami struggles at Chestnut Hill. So don't expect a blow-out.

2. What happened the last time Miami played B.C.?

61.gif

From the AP:

Tim Reynolds said:
...Miami’s day was tinged with emotion, with a few players tearing up on the pregame “Hurricane Walk’’ through the crowd. JoJo Nicholas, whose son died shortly after being prematurely born earlier this season, walked particularly slowly to soak the scene in...

Man...for far too long good kids on this team, who bust their *** and give it their all, have been leaving UM on a sour note. That **** needs to stop like 8 years ago.

Last year we jumped out to an early lead with a few explosive plays. Eventually B.C.'s defense settled in and forced Jacory into some really bad decisions (including 4 interceptions) in an extremely under-whelming finale. The worst of which might have been the "big reveal" in the 4th quarter that Golden had signed a 700 year extention. They probably planned this announcement to come out with Al wearing a conductor's hat on the train we were expecting to run on B.C....whoops.

The announcement came out and was obviously intended to be some sort of move to get fans excited that Al would be here a long time...but when you're getting pushed around by B.C., knowing that the head coach has long-term job security isn't really a priority. When it was announced on TV the cameras quickly panned to Shalala's suite, no clue as to why. The image of Shalala's troll-like arms flapping together with a big smile on her face as we were losing is still burned into my mind. It was insanely awkward to say the least.

3. Who to be scared of:

1.jpg

fox sports

Chase Rettig:

This is where I was going to put Montel Harris, but he's no longer on the team. Therefore, Rettig gets the nod by default. Not because he's any good, but that's the point. Making mediocre-to-bad QB's look like Joe Namath is what Miami defenses do best. Being a starter since his fresman year, he will have complete command of the offense and confidence in himself. Last year he was 13/17 (76.5%) for 196 yards and 2 tds...76 % completion percentage???? Get the **** out of here man.

4. Player that will score against us:

2.jpg

AP Photo: Michael Dwyer

Andre Williams:

At first this is where I was going to put Mackey Watch List Tight End Chris Pantale, but he broke his **** foot. Then I was going to go with their leading rusher and the guy that ran for 96 yards against us last year in Rolandan Finch, but he hurt his foot too. Then I was going to put leading receiver Bobby Swigert, but he ****ed up his knee. So I decided to go with Andre Williams. He was expected to be the featured back last year when Montel Harris wasn't available, but nagging injuries hampered him, which allowed Finch and Tahj Kimble to steal carries from him. Now with Kimble and Finch nicked up, Williams will be the man in the backfield. At 6-0 feet 220 lbs. he's got a good amount of size to bring with him through the trenches and was able to muster 52 yards on 13 carries against us last year.

5. Person that will **** you off:

129.jpg

Doug Flutie

First off, Doug Flutie ******* sucks. Second, no one has ever made an entire career out of one play like Doug Flutie. David Tyree comes close, except his moment actually took place in the NFL. Be prepared for the Hailmary to be run on a loop on your TV screen, whether we're winning or losing. Oh...and Larry Marzetti > Doug Flutie. Infinitely better human being too (class of '65).

6. Official Internet meme for this game:

Schrute Facts
8.png

I'm going to be doing one of these for each opponent on the Monday before each game. I'll also be doing a Gameday Preview along with a full recap the day after. They will be pretty similar to my Link City posts, which I will still try to do throughout the season...however, they will mostly focus on college football news around the country (polls, big games, and other craziness). I'll keep doing these until I get tired of it, or if they're so bad that DMoney and LuCane shame me into stopping.

[video=youtube;pele5vptVgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc[/video]

Advertisement
I hate playing against "undermanned" or "dinged up" teams. It always reminds me of UNC 2004 and that ******* Halloween nightmare. Watching their 8th string FB run all over our team was scary.

Advertisement
That was hilarious! Keep em up these might be needed to help us get throught the year. & i love the categories & creativity. Something different than the usual blabber at the other sites & newspapers.

Advertisement
I'd love to read number 1 but there's a freakin beauty rest ad covering it that won't go away. Wtf is this?!?!

I hate playing against "undermanned" or "dinged up" teams. It always reminds me of UNC 2004 and that ******* Halloween nightmare. Watching their 8th string FB run all over our team was scary.

9th string RB. 9th.

I think he was some intramural star who won a walk-on contest for that game, and then never played again.

Advertisement
Another thing to remember is going all the way back to the '90's, Miami struggles at Chestnut Hill. So don't expect a blow-out.

As long as we see Morris acting like a leader instead of a deer in headlights against Maryland for the opener last year, I do not expect a blowout, but I would like to see the team not having to worry about any magical comebacks. This team seems very disciplined compared to the last few years and UTough is proving why it is in place- Injuries have been minimal in spring/summer camps.

Now, if the NCAA and/or Robinson do not try to **** up the season by coming out with more news stories this week, this team will be completely focused to begin the season 1 - 0....

Historically, we've not played very well at BC because of the walk from the locker room (it's AT LEAST 15 yards), the small crowds, and the aluminum bleacher bench seating in the stadium.

Advertisement
So basically BC sucked healthy and really sucks banged up. I know it's cliche to say it, but this is a must win game for us.

Undefeated (and unranked)...just like us. A venerable clash of the titans. Historically speaking we own these jokes. However, we actually have a losing record against them since joining the ACC. Feel free to step away from your computer screen and kick your dog after reading that previous sentence. Another thing to remember is going all the way back to the '90's, Miami struggles at Chestnut Hill. So don't expect a blow-out.

63.gif

anyone else feel this BC game is a 'must win'? Seriously, if they can't come up victorious against this club, well, it's going to be a looooooooong season

I think its imperative to get off to a good start and have some momentum going into the Lil Apple

Advertisement
Back