The Lost Class of 2004

Advertisement
I'm too lazy to analyze myself . . . how did this class compare to prior classes in terms of local vs. OOS?

When we've previously discussed the Coker era, many pointed to the fact that we seemingly turned our attention somewhat away from the local kids to the highly-ranked national kids (because we had a lot more interest from OOS due to the run from '99-'02). Were there local kids we spurned that year in lieu of some hot shot national talent that bit us in the ***?

Advertisement
I'm too lazy to analyze myself . . . how did this class compare to prior classes in terms of local vs. OOS?

When we've previously discussed the Coker era, many pointed to the fact that we seemingly turned our attention somewhat away from the local kids to the highly-ranked national kids (because we had a lot more interest from OOS due to the run from '99-'02). Were there local kids we spurned that year in lieu of some hot shot national talent that bit us in the ***?

I think geno atkins may have came out that year but I am not sure

Nevermind. Was wrong about that

Talent was very thin in the state of Florida in 2004.

Leggett, Charlie Jones, Bobby Washington and Willie Williams were all considered among the best if not the best prospects in the state at their positions that recruiting cycle.

There were only a handful of FL guys that cycle that did anything at all at the college level.

The one player from FL in that 2004 class that I think really could have been among the best to play here was Anthony Reddick. He was outstanding as a true freshman, and then only played in 7 games the remainder of his career due to injuries.

You know we've been talking about attrition or guys who bust that's walked through these hallowed doors for a while. We've been talking about culture problems, and it's origin here. I think we can pin point 2004 as the beginning of the end of the era of "The U."

Per 247, Butch Davis' last 3 classes (1999, 2000, and 2001) ranked #1, #7, and #8 respectively (although I believe the 2001 class may be off).
These classes also produced uber players:
-Ken Dorsey / Bryant McKinnie / Jarrett Payton / Clinton Portis / Andre Johnson / Vernon Carey / Kevin Beard / Jason Geathers / Mo Sikes / Phillip Buchanon / DJ Williams / Willis McGahee / Carlos Joseph / Vince Wilfork / Chris Meyers / Jon Vilma / Derrick Crudup / Darrell McGlover / Joel Rodriguez / ST26 / Frank Gore / Orien Harris / Antrel Rolle

I mean we're talking about the who's who of CFB, and NFL. Butch completely knocked it out the park obviously.

2002 - 2003 were really good classes under Clappy as well. Those classes ranked #5 and #4 respectively, which featured:
Baraka Atkins / Glenn Sharpe / Kareem Brown / Jon Peattie / Greg Threat / Darnell Jenkins / Brandon Meriweather / Baby Moss / Ryan Moore / Akieem Jolla / Eric Winston / Devin Hester / Jon Beason / Kevin Everett / B Pata (RIP) / Tavares Gooden / Ty Moss / Greg Olsen / Kyle Wright

Not bad for a two year hall to supplement the 2001 class.

But then inexplicably, 2004 happened; and quite frankly, I don't recall any of these blue chip guys:

This class was ranked #3, but I'm not sure who really played a meaningful down or had an impact besides Calais Campbell, Leggett (kind of) and Charlie Jones:
Tyler McMeans / LoVon Ponder / Derron Thomas / Tyrone Byrd / Willie Williams / Joe Joseph / Rashaun Jones / Anthony Reddick (Mr. Helmet swinger) / Antonio Dixon / Chris Zellner / Carlos Armour / Khalil Jones / George Timmons / Josh Kerr / Andrew Johnson / Rhyan Anderson / Dwayne Hendricks / Bobby Washington / Kirby Freeman

We're talking about **** near the entire class either not making it in or being straight bust. How does this happen?

Then 2005 happened (ranked 9th) where we saw the same thing that happened w/ the 2004 class sans Kenny Phillips and Darryl Sharpton
Then 2006 happened (ranked 12th)

2004 was that pivotal class where it looked good on paper, but was bull chit. And that trend has overtaken us ever since. We haven't had a complete class where majority of it's players either dominated or contributed since 2003.
You're on to something here. Need to really do a deep dive.

Advertisement
Good write up.

1994 to me was what killed the great Schnelly-JJ-Erickson run and started the downfall, and was our worst class ever. Calais Campbell was worth 10x more than the entire 1994 class alone:). People forget that Erickson really screwed up recruiting AND evaluations. List guy. Him and Larry Coker must play cards together somewhere out there these days.

1994's class, while HIGHLY REGARDED as a top 5 or top 10 class (also small because we whiffed on a few key guys) had few even decent players, and a litany of busts, and zero NFL talent. Some huge recruits like Binion, Brooks, Rolle, Taylor, Neely, Clement that were national names. The nations #1 DL class alone, a massive need at the time, and with so many 'ships allocated to it, was a program killer:

QB Ryan Clement (Denver, Co.)
QB Scott Covington (Laguna Niguel, Calif.)

Tight End:
Bryan Bippen (Midland, Texas).

OL: NONE

RB: NONE

WR Omar Rolle of Miami Norland
WR Tony Gaiter of Miami Killian by way of San Bernardino (Calif.) Community College

DL:
Cameron Binion (Orchard Lake, Mich.),
Damond Neely (Roslyn, Penn.),
Jason McCullough (Potomac, Md.),
Nelson Smith (Albuquerque, N.M.)
Michael Lawson (Delray Beach Atlantic);
Derrick Ham (Merritt Island)

Linebackers:
Nate Stimson (Wellington)
Carlo Joseph (Deerfield Beach) - moved to FB
Jeffrey Taylor (Miami Northwestern)
Cliff Jackson (Lanett, Ala.)

(The) Defensive back:
Nathaniel Brooks (North Miami)

Miami Southridge linebacker Lamont Green and Miami Beach defensive back Samari Rolle signed with Florida State. Green and Rolle were considered to be the best two players in Dade County.

Look at that. We spent 6 rides on 6 bust DL, and took a total of 5 players on offense, two of which were QBs.

McCullough ended up leaving and walking on at Nebraska.
Stimson transfered to GT after one year. Think he was a late draft pick and didn't make a roster.
Gaiter ended up a 6th round pick (the class gem!)
Covington was a 7th round pick.
Clement signed with the NFL... as in the NFL Europe's Scottish Claymores! He played in the XFL too.

1994 doesn't get talked about so much because it was before recruiting was followed so intently, but those who know the program talk know what this class did to us. 1994 says hold my beer.

LOL, back on my Grassy days I did a detailed player-by-player evaluation of the Erickson classes, lol, they were baaaad.

For every Ray Lewis or Warren Sapp, there would be like a dozen washouts like Jessie Mitchell, Nate Stimson, Booker Pickett, Alan Hall and the Oline recruiting except for guys like KC Jones and Kerlin Blaise was awful, too many Freeman Browns and J Ina's.

It was hilarious, every year, Ferman and Canesport would say that these were the best classes, or fastest classes, that UM had ever brought in.

Miami literally had Butch and JJ, two great recruiters and evaluators, and then followed them up with two guys that were awful at it. Ive been told that Erickson was actually banned from one local high school in Miami for showing up drunk one time

Last edited:
I definitely agree!! MIAMI teams now look like a bunch of high school boys... It almost looks like our player's don't even participate in weight lifting, you don't see the "Buff Bagwell" "mean football looking guys".... Our OLine guys look soft, our WRs & DBs are skinny and boney, our safety's are short, MIAMI just don't have those guys that when they get off the bus ppl are saying "wow they look like a NFL team".... When our CANES get off the bus ppl are asking "Is this MIAMI the college team🤦🏾‍♂️"

And HONESTLY, I think this hurts recruiting as well because these kid's travel around and see all these different teams and when these recruits see MIAMI, they feel like they looking at their HS team...

I went to the LSU/Texas A&M game in Baton Rouge, and I swear these player's looked like football players... These guys were big, and I'm not talking bout fat big!! JUST SAYING

And it shows when we go against a ground & pound team, or a DL w/ speed & power. Like when we see photos of these young men go to elementary schools for community service w/ no pads on, I’m sorry but I don’t see Cane football players. They look like guys fresh from high school. Again, it’s not just the look, but it shows when we play against a physical team.

Look at the difference in personality types between Butch’s classes and Cokers classes. Both classes had “talent” but there’s a big difference in personality types. Butch targeted alphas, guys who would put the work in and hold others accountable. Coker targeted rankings (talent), and ended up with a bunch of guys who wanted to walk into the league. That’s where the culture took a turn.

Facts.

Advertisement
I swear, if I knew how to edit audio and video, I'd put "Dancing Queen" over the videos of our players dancing, and send it straight to Manny Diaz.

That chit ****ed me off on so many levels:

1. We were losing
2. The dancing wasn’t even masculine
3. Other teammates started to join in
4. Support staff was egging it on
5. This was done by a true freshman, and no upper classmen stopped that chit.

Post the 2008 class now lol

I broke down the 08 class in another thread, which I said it looked good on paper, but it was #1 b/c it was top heavy & was a gigantic class.

To me it was still a better class than 04; at least we were able to salvage a glimpse of JaPicky Harris, and had solid careers from Sean Spence, Travis Benjamin, Brandon Harris, LaRon Byrd, Jake Wieclaw, and had “a” really good season from Tommy Streeter.

Everyone else either didn’t qualify, were super bust, or transferred. Shannon repeated from the guy he learned from, Coker. Like the 04 class doomed Coker, the 08 class doomed Shannon. Like teacher, like pupil

That chit ****ed me off on so many levels:

1. We were losing
2. The dancing wasn’t even masculine
3. Other teammates started to join in
4. Support staff was egging it on
5. This was done by a true freshman, and no upper classmen stopped that chit.
Well, hopefully the dancing will slow down once Manny introduces the celebration heels. It's almost impossible to dance on grass in heels.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back