The Legend of Frank Gore - SIAP

kendallcanes

Junior
How he became the greatest against all odds

http://http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/12/27/7451455/the-legend-of-frank-gore-how-he-became-the-greatest-against-all-odds

If you're one to read into signs from the universe, you might believe that Frank Gore was never meant to make it as far as he did. Maybe he was never meant to make it at all.

He arrived to Coral Gables as a freshman reading no better than a fourth grade level in the classroom.

Gore was a standout at Coral Gables High School, shattering several of Miami-Dade County's single-season rushing records. But for as well as he read defenses on the football field, he arrived to Coral Gables as a freshman reading no better than a fourth grade level in the classroom. He was academically stunted by specific learning disabilities - "SLD" for short - which he eventually overcame through a combination of effective counseling and a love of football.

By the end of his high school career, he was named the nation's No. 5 running back prospect by The Miami Herald and could have played for practically any football program in the country - Ohio State and Wisconsin, among others, made offers.

But he forsook any dreams of leaving the Sunshine State when he chose the University of Miami, just a stone's throw away from home. Why? His mother, Liz, who used to catch a bus out to Coral Gables every Friday to watch her son play football, was diagnosed with kidney disease. She underwent dialysis treatment at least three times a week in between working to put food on the table for her three children. Gore chose a school just two miles away so that he could continue to support his mother and siblings while still pursuing gridiron dreams and a college education..............................

Gore is likely referring to (among others) Sports Illustrated's claim that Gore was the most overrated running back heading into the draft that year.

"And I'm still here, man," Gore said...................

This is Gore's tenth year in San Francisco, and in those ten years, he has done more than enough to earn the distinction of being one of the franchise's all-time greats. He has been named to five Pro Bowls, captured an NFC rushing title, and is currently the 49ers' all-time rushing leader for yards and touchdowns. Most recently, he became only the 29th player in league history to record 10,000 rushing yards..............................

Last edited:
Advertisement
**** yeh

joe staley posted on twitter after their game something to the effect of "frank gore is my favorite football player of all time not only because of the player he is on the field but the man he is off of it"

pre acl injury the way he moved is the scariest thing I've ever seen

that run late against washington or maybe syracuse in 2001.. even though he got ran down from behind you could see his jukes were on another stratosphere

Advertisement
If the dolphins don't draft Duke, I kinda want the 9ers to. That city frickin LOOOOOOOVES Gore- and rightfully so. It'd be cool for Gore to pass the baton to Duke.

Advertisement
Back