The last 2 recruiting classes

Gables Canes

Freshman
…have been a huge failure.

The 2022 class consisted of:

Watson - has flashed some potential but for some reason doesn’t see the floor anymore
Casey - highly rated guy that appears to lack physicality and any sort of offensive game
Aire - not sure what the staff saw here. He stunk
Danilo - see above with Aire

Overall, 2 guys who were total evaluation misses (Aire and Danilo) and 2 guys that haven’t developed. An epic bust of a class

The 2023 class:

George - still developing but he’s going to be a good player. I think we can temper the one and done talk though
Nwoko - there was a lot of excitement about him, but so far he’s been nearly unplayable. It’s clear L doesn’t trust him with spot minutes even during desperate times
Djobet - an unknown, could be following the same trajectory as Robinson (bench warmer)

To bring in 7 guys over the last 2 seasons and only hit on ONE is unacceptable. L has always been known for player development, so I’m not sure what’s happening here.

When you only bring in one portal player (Cleveland), it means you need to hit on your high school recruits. The last 2 classes have been busts to date, leaving us with zero depth. It’s disappointing to say the least, and one of the main reasons why this team is struggling so much.

Advertisement

Watson - has flashed some potential but for some reason doesn’t see the floor anymore
Casey - highly rated guy that appears to lack physicality and any sort of offensive game

Overall, 2 guys who were total evaluation misses (Aire and Danilo) and 2 guys that haven’t developed. An epic bust of a class

The 2023 class:

George - still developing but he’s going to be a good player. I think we can temper the one and done talk though
Nwoko - there was a lot of excitement about him, but so far he’s been nearly unplayable. It’s clear L doesn’t trust him with spot minutes even during desperate times
Djobet - an unknown, could be following the same trajectory as Robinson (bench warmer)

To bring in 7 guys over the last 2 seasons and only hit on ONE is unacceptable. L has always been known for player development, so I’m not sure what’s happening here.

When you only bring in one portal player (Cleveland), it means you need to hit on your high school recruits. The last 2 classes have been busts to date, leaving us with zero depth. It’s disappointing to say the least, and one of the main reasons why this team is struggling so much.
This is a huge aspect of it that is being overlooked. Everyone wants to say we should’ve done more in the portal and they’re right. We should have. But our recruiting classes coming off the success of the last couple years was brutal until this class. That will create a lag in performance likely until next year. However you spin it, whether from the portal or high school, the roster construction heading into this season was not there and had some big misses.

L needs to take a page from Mario’s recruiting book because out of all the sports, basketball seems like it’d be an easy sell nationally to get kids to come down to Miami. We can go after the elite kids and have a seat at the table. We don’t have to take a backseat to the blue bloods anymore. We just need to start acting like it. Hopefully this current class is an indication of what classes will be like moving forward.

The 2023 class:

Great post and spot on!

This is a huge aspect of it that is being overlooked. Everyone wants to say we should’ve done more in the portal and they’re right. We should have. But our recruiting classes coming off the success of the last couple years was brutal until this class. That will create a lag in performance likely until next year. However you spin it, whether from the portal or high school, the roster construction heading into this season was not there and had some big misses.

L needs to take a page from Mario’s recruiting book because out of all the sports, basketball seems like it’d be an easy sell nationally to get kids to come down to Miami. We can go after the elite kids and have a seat at the table. We don’t have to take a backseat to the blue bloods anymore. We just need to start acting like it. Hopefully this current class is an indication of what classes will be like moving forward.
As good as this current class looks on paper, there are still no bigs. Miami will need at least 3 portal bigs next season, especially if Omier declares.

Advertisement

The 2023 class:

@TheOriginalCane thoughts?

Advertisement
We not coo no more? You had a lot of feels when I said recruiting was ***. No updates?

Nobody is "coo" with you, including myself.

And if you are still butthurt about something I said to you directly at some unknown previous time, then respond to that.

But I'm not going to be hauled into some third-party fight with @Gables Canes just because you @'ed me out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Nobody is "coo" with you, including myself.

And if you are still butthurt about something I said to you directly at some unknown previous time, then respond to that.

But I'm not going to be hauled into some third-party fight with @Gables Cane just because you @'ed me out of nowhere.
Huh? What did I do?

Gotta be Gables Canes, not Gables Cane. Two different posters.

Will Ferrell Love Everybody GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement

The 2023 class:

Re-visiting this post about a month later.

The 2022 class was a bonafide disaster. We went 0/4. Casey and Watson are essentially unplayable, which is really disappointing and somewhat of a surprise given L’s player development prowess. I’m particularly disappointed in how bad Watson has been. He’s the type of player who usually thrives in L’s system. Bottom line is this garbage class is the main cause of our lack of depth.

On the other hand, the 2023 class is showing some positive signs. Nwoko is still frustrating to watch at times, but you can start to see his potential. I personally think L has mismanaged him. He should’ve seen more PT against some of the early season cupcakes.

Djobet has proven to be a high energy defender and rebounder. Not sure how much offensive game he has yet. This is another one where I don’t really understand L’s management of his PT. He’ll play 15-20 mins one game and do fairly well, and then not play at all the next. He’s another guy who could’ve benefitted from more early season PT.

The 2022 class was a bonafide disaster. We went 0/4. Casey and Watson are essentially unplayable, which is really disappointing and somewhat of a surprise given L’s player development prowess. I’m particularly disappointed in how bad Watson has been. He’s the type of player who usually thrives in L’s system. Bottom line is this garbage class is the main cause of our lack of depth.

On the other hand, the 2023 class is showing some positive signs. Nwoko is still frustrating to watch at times, but you can start to see his potential. I personally think L has mismanaged him. He should’ve seen more PT against some of the early season cupcakes.

Djobet has proven to be a high energy defender and rebounder. Not sure how much offensive game he has yet. This is another one where I don’t really understand L’s management of his PT. He’ll play 15-20 mins one game and do fairly well, and then not play at all the next. He’s another guy who could’ve benefitted from more early season PT.
We seem to have a much better class for 2024 so we better hope at least one of these kids Bethea ends up being a superstar. I have hope for Nwoko but he is developing at a slower pace than I expected. watson hasn't developed. It seems our H.S. recruiting has been hit or miss and mostly miss the last couple years. We definitely need to hit the portal hard in the offseason this year. But i never could have expected our team to not make the tourney this year so recruiting will be more difficult as will attracting kids in the portal.

I know coach L has had a good career, but for whatever reason he hasn't been able to do much with the current team so maybe it was overrated or coach L is not able to get more out of them. I don't know what to think with Coach L. The last 2 years were great but this year was lackluster. We need more size and dribble penetration/drivers split the D kind of players moving forward. we just have jump shooters now which is killing us. It will help open up the offense more.

Good stuff. Some really bad player evals by the staff, to be sure.

Watson and Casey were consensus top 150 players from very good high school programs and leagues. Watson's final 4 included Marquette and Xavier, who both do a very good job with their player evals. Casey had big time offers as well. I would say it's been less about evaluations and more about player development with them.

Advertisement
Back