"The Importance Of Recruiting" (Mario Cristobal)

grover

Senior
Premium
In his post-game presser, when talking about Mark Fletcher, Mario commented that his performance proves "The Importance Of Recruiting".

I have a follow-up question: do you think you are meeting/exceeding your expectations with recruiting with the current class? Because while we're the #11 ranked class, I do not feel we're addressing our needs. QB, CB, DT, TE, LB are all underwhelming. OL is acceptable only when paired with last class.

We just saw these past three weeks how a thin QB depth chart can put the entire season at risk. Yet we're still betting on Judd Anderson? And outside of QB, if we're to blame any one position group for our losses and near losses, it would be CB, where we have a huge number of rotational players but not one guy you can trust to be on an island. It's not Davis' fault he has been targeted and often abused. It's our coaches' fault for not recruiting better options. How do we feel about CB recruiting if/when Ellis doesn't flip?

Fill the holes, coach, and then maybe your words will be prophetic.

Advertisement
QB- Either TVD returns or they take a Portal kid with a year to play. 2025- Emory is in year 3, Brown in year 4, 2025 kid from GA, and Judd in year 2.
CB- Porter, Brown, Brown unless Ellis flips
DT- We only need one of JHH/LT to return and we should be ok.
TE- We need to use them if we expect elite TEs to commit.

LB- I'm not concerned about our LB room at all.

In his post-game presser, when talking about Mark Fletcher, Mario commented that his performance proves "The Importance Of Recruiting".

I have a follow-up question: do you think you are meeting/exceeding your expectations with recruiting with the current class? Because while we're the #11 ranked class, I do not feel we're addressing our needs. QB, CB, DT, TE, LB are all underwhelming. OL is acceptable only when paired with last class.

We just saw these past three weeks how a thin QB depth chart can put the entire season at risk. Yet we're still betting on Judd Anderson? And outside of QB, if we're to blame any one position group for our losses and near losses, it would be CB, where we have a huge number of rotational players but not one guy you can trust to be on an island. It's not Davis' fault he has been targeted and often abused. It's our coaches' fault for not recruiting better options. How do we feel about CB recruiting if/when Ellis doesn't flip?

Can’t answer till summer if 2024 when all high school and transfer kids have made their decisions.

Advertisement
I'm thinking Mario's plan is to bring back Mesidor at SDE and put another 10 lbs on Bain and move him inside to replace Taylor.
Agreed and I think that’s the smartest thing to do anyways especially with how well we’re currently recruiting edges.

Move Bain inside where he probably is best suited long term anyways and get as many of our best on the field at the same time

I’m assuming someone is transferring in the off season to play qb here. That’s the only logical thing I can think of. He’s right though it’s always been about recruiting, always has been always will be.

QB- Either TVD returns or they take a Portal kid with a year to play. 2025- Emory is in year 3, Brown in year 4, 2025 kid from GA, and Judd in year 2.
CB- Porter, Brown, Brown unless Ellis flips
DT- We only need one of JHH/LT to return and we should be ok.
TE- We need to use them if we expect elite TEs to commit.

LB- I'm not concerned about our LB room at all.

I love you 90s. But your expectations are too low IMHO. We need to upgrade our talent in a major way, not hoping TVD, the Brown brothers and JHH come back and make dramatic improvements. We need more Bains across the roster. More 1st Rounders. Not mid-rounders and UFAs.

Advertisement
Personally, with this class being a lot of developmental guys and last class being a lot of studs, it almost feels by design. Like obviously the big name misses werent intentional but the roster seems to be lined up well for a lot of the ‘23 kids to dominate starting spots and a lot of the ‘24 kids being developmental depth takes and low risk transfer out guys.

Agreed and I think that’s the smartest thing to do anyways especially with how well we’re currently recruiting edges.

Move Bain inside where he probably is best suited long term anyways and get as many of our best on the field at the same time
Bain is perfect where he is although he doesn’t set the edge at times. Let him continue to develop and become that game wrecker on the edge

Advertisement
I love you 90s. But your expectations are too low IMHO. We need to upgrade our talent in a major way, not hoping TVD, the Brown brothers and JHH come back and make dramatic improvements. We need more Bains across the roster. More 1st Rounders. Not mid-rounders and UFAs.

Remember even the absolute best team of all time didn't have 85 NFL kids. We shouldn't kick the future mid-rounders and UFDAs to the curb.

I'm good pushing cancers out. I'm good pushing out the kids that aren't good enough (4-5 OL). I'm good pushing the kids that haven't developed like we were expecting (Moss).

Now the goal is to replace those kids with better talent.

Not sure how Mario can recruit a decent QB with the way he wants to be run heavy….any portal kid isn’t coming here to hand the ball off 30-35 times a game.They’re coming ( at least the better ones) to up their draft status and right now I don’t see us with much to offer.

Mario will have to do one **** of a sell job to get a top notch QB in here…jmo

Advertisement
Bain is perfect where he is although he doesn’t set the edge at times. Let him continue to develop and become that game wrecker on the edge
It's about getting your 4 best DL on the field,we're much better at DE than DT with Messidor,Kelley and Wayne.

It's about getting your 4 best DL on the field,we're much better at DE than DT with Messidor,Kelley and Wayne.
Bain is producing better than any of those dudes in his current role why mess that up? He’s been phenomenal and he’s the one we move? Nah sounds like them other dudes adjust they role or grab some bench

Would respecfully disagree on LB..I like what we have committed especially paired with last years class.

Advertisement
Back