The heat needs to be turned up on Frenk to stop being so oblivious to the mess that is UM athletics.

LatinCane

Sophomore
Got an email blast from Frenk (apparently prior to UVA game) telling me that UM is pursing excellence including in athletics and that I need to calm down despite setbacks to progress due to pandemic and to keep supporting the program and to not doubt the university’s commitment to athletic excellence. …Regardless of his personal interest in athletics, Dr. Frenk must know that one of his most important roles as a president is to be the leader of all university departments.
I also got the feeling that he is a little aloof to how long this athletic mediocrity has been happening at Miami. Did anyone else read his email?

I suspect this is his response to the criticism on College Game Day prior to Michigan State loss which is only validated further after the UVA loss.

He needs to keep hearing it from alumni and boosters and fans they not everything is ok and temporary. This has been going on for 20 years, Dr. Frenk.

See his message below....

To Our University of Miami Family and Hurricanes Fans Everywhere,

The University of Miami is an institution dedicated to the pursuit of excellence. As our football team gets ready to kick off conference play this evening, I want to make clear that the Board of Trustees and I, as president, recognize the essential part of our brand and reputation derived from athletics and we are fully committed to building championship-caliber teams at the U.

Earlier this week, at the State of the University Town Hall, I reiterated that our beloved U sits at the cross section of the two sectors most disrupted by the pandemic: higher education and health care. Intercollegiate athletics, which is a key component of higher education for student-athletes and fans alike, is undergoing similar disruption.

Conversations about college sports tend to focus on the last game—or even the last play—and I can certainly empathize with the emotions of those moments. Yet, we must pay equally close attention to the drivers of disruption and the ways lines are being blurred between amateur and professional sports by factors including NIL legislation, antitrust rulings, promotion of gambling, conference realignments, and a corrosive discourse that falsely portrays college athletics as a means to exploit talented players, instead of what it really is: an avenue to expand opportunities for young people through access to higher education.

We can either be disrupted, or we can play a role in strategically shaping the course of disruption. As with our academic and health care missions, when it comes to athletics, my job as president is to ensure we are doing the latter. To that end, I have decided to increase the involvement from my senior leadership team to chart a way forward. Rudy Fernandez, in his capacity as my chief of staff, and Joe Echevarria, in his capacity as my senior advisor, will augment my own direct engagement with the athletics director by facilitating seamless alignment between the Board of Trustees, my entire administration, and the athletics department.

From my arrival here, I underscored that with respect to athletics our devotion must be first and foremost to our student-athletes, whose considerable talent we have a duty to develop both on and off the field. Of the student-athletes who compete across the NCAA, only 2 percent move on to play their sports professionally. Part of what draws student-athletes to the U is that Miami Hurricanes have, over the years, had a stronger likelihood of success on that path than many of our competitors. We are proud of their achievements and at the same time recognize our duty to prepare student-athletes for success in all spheres of life.

For a generation, the U has been recognized as one of the preeminent programs in college athletics. We have won 21 team national championships, including five in football. We are committed to honoring the legacy of those championship teams and of the student-athletes, coaches, and support personnel who have built that proud ’Canes tradition—a tradition that is woven into the very fabric of South Florida.

At the U, time and again, we have proven that excellence in academics and excellence in athletics are not mutually exclusive. I am grateful to our student-athletes, athletics director, his team, and the entire Hurricanes coaching staff for their dedication, and to our fans for their unceasing passion and loyalty. We are one U in our pursuit of winning—on the field and in life.

Go ’Canes!
President Julio Frenk signature

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Frenk can’t even properly manage the **** he actually cares about. There is no way he should be anywhere near the athletics department.

Got an email blast from Frenk (apparently prior to UVA game) telling me that UM is pursing excellence including in athletics and that I need to calm down despite setbacks to progress due to pandemic and to keep supporting the program and to not doubt the university’s commitment to athletic excellence. …Regardless of his personal interest in athletics, Dr. Frenk must know that one of his most important roles as a president is to be the leader of all university departments.
I also got the feeling that he is a little aloof to how long this athletic mediocrity has been happening at Miami. Did anyone else read his email?

I suspect this is his response to the criticism on College Game Day prior to Michigan State loss which is only validated further after the UVA loss.

He needs to keep hearing it from alumni and boosters and fans they not everything is ok and temporary. This has been going on for 20 years, Dr. Frenk.
emails GIF

Advertisement
A letter/email campaign addressing all of his failures, and making it clear that there is a boycott in the works (season tickets, donations) would work IMO based on what I know about the BOT. Gotta get Herald and other media outlets involved as well.

Advertisement

Tell that weird SOB that outside the 305 - as far as academic schools and their draw - UM isn't exactly Standford - or MIT - or Harvard - and nationwide - and always on the tips of everyone's tongue - thus -the ONLY National Exposure for MONTHS per year - is

The Football Program!

Take the money the football program makes - and apply it to - the Football Program.

If the girls tennis team needs some short skirts - or if the golf team needs some ugly golf pants - or the tether ball team needs a new rope for the tether - that's what an AD is for - to hit up the boosters for funding.

It's not like UM gets state funding for all these piddly sports that few really give a flying rat's *** about. You know, the ones that don't bring in any green - just siphon off green.

Hire a top Coaching Staff. Tell them exactly what you want - playoff teams year after year - and we want progress - the next year. No if's, and's, or but's. Just get it done. Legally, if possible.

Tell Frenk - YOU manage the "academic" area AFTER you hire a REAL AD - and he in turn has his marching orders - but the "academic" areas will handle themselves and will benefit from additional revenue - IF and WHEN we have an annual playoff team.

Good national exposure. Additional revenue.

And if Freak can't handle the job - we need to find someone who will.

Excellence in ALL things - is a positive.

Half-assed efforts in ONE THING that's highly visible - makes one question what other half-assed things are going on that aren't readily so visiible.

Advertisement
If Frenk had any guts or self awareness he would immediately go hire Alonzo Highsmith as the new athletic director and concentrate on retirement. You might even attract a better quality President who actually cares about sports if you have a proven senior executive like Zo running Hecht.

he doesn't even know how to be the president of the academic side, which is why he's probably out by the end of the academic year, maybe calendar year. he was already on the way out and then covid bought him some extra time.
Who are the favorites to replace him?

Advertisement
Back