The Future

MrWineAndDine

Freshman
I am feeling really hopeful (as I have all year) for the future of this basketball team. Anybody that follows me on twitter knows that I am not a DJ Vasiljevic fan. AT ALL. With that being said, I will always give respect to OGs that stick around. With all of the injuries that have happened this year I get that it's hard to have a consistent game plan, however there was a span of games that I believe his shot taking decisions and being a liability on defense costed us dearly. These young boys (Bev, Wong and Walker) have shown flashes of greatness and I love it. Especially paired with the potential additions of Timberlake and Cross next year.

With the way the season went early on, I think our chances at the tournament are gone unless we find some magical way to win the ACC. So my question all season was why not get the young bulls in and let them lead the offense. Our issue was Coach L was putting them in the game and having them run the 1 on 1 offense that Lykes, Kam and DJ succeed in. These Freshman like to spread the floor and move the ball. Now that we are running an offense like that, there are being better shots taken earlier on in the shot clock and we are getting much more consistent play out of Miller. I like the way we are looking going into the end of the year and I just hope Coach L keeps this style of coaching up.

Advertisement
227A7322-16C5-4777-A386-355721EDAE58.gif

I am feeling really hopeful (as I have all year) for the future of this basketball team. Anybody that follows me on twitter knows that I am not a DJ Vasiljevic fan. AT ALL. With that being said, I will always give respect to OGs that stick around. With all of the injuries that have happened this year I get that it's hard to have a consistent game plan, however there was a span of games that I believe his shot taking decisions and being a liability on defense costed us dearly. These young boys (Bev, Wong and Walker) have shown flashes of greatness and I love it. Especially paired with the potential additions of Timberlake and Cross next year.

With the way the season went early on, I think our chances at the tournament are gone unless we find some magical way to win the ACC. So my question all season was why not get the young bulls in and let them lead the offense. Our issue was Coach L was putting them in the game and having them run the 1 on 1 offense that Lykes, Kam and DJ succeed in. These Freshman like to spread the floor and move the ball. Now that we are running an offense like that, there are being better shots taken earlier on in the shot clock and we are getting much more consistent play out of Miller. I like the way we are looking going into the end of the year and I just hope Coach L keeps this style of coaching up.

All you need to know as to why this team looks so much different. It's been a breath of fresh air to see good fundamental basketball starting to be played when these young guns are on floor together. That Bull**** Hero ball Lykes and Mcgusty are so accustomed to makes me want to throw my tv.

All you need to know as to why this team looks so much different. It's been a breath of fresh air to see good fundamental basketball starting to be played when these young guns are on floor together. That Bull**** Hero ball Lykes and Mcgusty are so accustomed to makes me want to throw my tv.

EXAAAACTLY!!! I love to see other people that understand it too. Honestly, I would not mind that coming off the bench because it can provide a spark. I would not mind moving DJ to the 6th man role and let him come in and knock a few down. But this whole game plan that is allowing him to take 17 shots per game while shooting 30% from the field aint cutting it.

EXAAAACTLY!!! I love to see other people that understand it too. Honestly, I would not mind that coming off the bench because it can provide a spark. I would not mind moving DJ to the 6th man role and let him come in and knock a few down. But this whole game plan that is allowing him to take 17 shots per game while shooting 30% from the field aint cutting it.
I feel for him because he wasn't supposed to go out like this as a senior. He really has had an awful senior year. I'm willing to bet that if these freshamn would have logged minutes like this earlier in year his percentage would be way up cause of our spacing with the young guns and their want to play high low. Our spacing is non existent with lykes and mcgusty on floor together. We run an AAU offense with those 2 on the floor.

Last edited:
Advertisement

[/QU

Top definition
"Furture"
When your dumbass co-worker can't spell future.

I'm excited about the way Wong has come on as the season has progressed. Early on it was Beverly who was more aggressive to the basket and getting his shots, but he has dropped off a bit. And at the same time Wong has come on. Walker has some significant athleticism. All in all, it gets me excited that they are getting minutes together and starting to develop. With those 3, Lykes, Miller, Timberlake, Kam and a little more help, we have a chance to be a much better team next year.

I feel for him because he wasn't supposed to go out like this as a senior. He really has had an awful senior year. I'm willing to bet that if these freshamn would have logged minutes like this earlier in year his percentage would be way up cause of our spacing with the young guns and their want to play high low. Our spacing is non existent with lykes and mcgusty on floor together. We run an AAU offense with those 2 on the floor.

Fans gonna fan.

Bev is shooting 26% from 3, yet putting him on the floor would help our spacing more than Lykes (39%) and McGusty (34%). Bev and Wong have the two highest turnover rates on the team (Bev's is absurd, at 27%), yet they're the key to having a functioning offense.

College sports fan rule #1: always assume the freshmen are better than the known commodities.

Advertisement
Fans gonna fan.

Bev is shooting 26% from 3, yet putting him on the floor would help our spacing more than Lykes (39%) and McGusty (34%). Bev and Wong have the two highest turnover rates on the team (Bev's is absurd, at 27%), yet they're the key to having a functioning offense.

College sports fan rule #1: always assume the freshmen are better than the known commodities.
This has nothing to do with shooting 3's. This has to do with the freshman understanding that spacing and ball movement is extremely important to running a high level functioning offense. All of them have good vision and LOOK FOR THEIR TEAMMATES.

Since they have been logging more minutes we have seen MUCH MORE:

1. Drive and Kick
2. High Low (This IMO is the reason why we have looked so much better offensively)

Those 2 things have lead to better shot selection since the freshman have been in. I also will add Wong knocking a ton of shots down has also helped. If you watched the game last night you saw that every time we went to rodney they doubled him. This was taking candy from a baby because even though rodney isn't the most talented guy I think he has solid vision for a goofy big. The high low has helped us immensely.

This has nothing to do with shooting 3's. This has to do with the freshman understanding that spacing and ball movement is extremely important to running a high level functioning offense. All of them have good vision and LOOK FOR THEIR TEAMMATES.

Since they have been logging more minutes we have seen MUCH MORE:

1. Drive and Kick
2. High Low (This IMO is the reason why we have looked so much better offensively)

Those 2 things have lead to better shot selection since the freshman have been in. I also will add Wong knocking a ton of shots down has also helped. If you watched the game last night you saw that every time we went to rodney they doubled him. This was taking candy from a baby because even though rodney isn't the most talented guy I think he has solid vision for a goofy big. The high low has helped us immensely.

This is a bit of an incoherent argument, and is not supported by any evidence. Bev has barely played the last couple of games. Same with Walker. Neither have any special understanding of spacing or ball movement. Rodney is not a freshman, and he's had one of our highest offensive ratings all season long. He's playing more now, but that has little to do with the freshmen. His rebounding rates have improved throughout the course of the season so he's earned more minutes.

Yes Wong hitting shots helps us, lol. He played iso ball down the stretch but he's become a great 1-on-1 scorer so it worked. He ended up with 1 assist and 5 turnovers. His assist rate is lower and turnover rate higher than both Lykes and Kam.

Wong has gone from a non factor on offense to an excellent scorer (and his defense has improved dramatically). That's why we're playing better, among other reasons.

This is a bit of an incoherent argument, and is not supported by any evidence. Bev has barely played the last couple of games. Same with Walker. Neither have any special understanding of spacing or ball movement. Rodney is not a freshman, and he's had one of our highest offensive ratings all season long. He's playing more now, but that has little to do with the freshmen. His rebounding rates have improved throughout the course of the season so he's earned more minutes.

Yes Wong hitting shots helps us, lol. He played iso ball down the stretch but he's become a great 1-on-1 scorer so it worked. He ended up with 1 assist and 5 turnovers. His assist rate is lower and turnover rate higher than both Lykes and Kam.

Wong has gone from a non factor on offense to an excellent scorer (and his defense has improved dramatically). That's why we're playing better, among other reasons.
When Lykes and Mcgusty were out This team moved the ball more and took better shots. period. That is my argument. There is no evidence needed to see that was the case. Wong playing iso 1 on 1 ball is much different than lykes because he doesn't settle for contested pull ups. We scored 100+ points last night and only had 10 assists. That is absolutely pathetic.

disagree with this. Hero ball is exactly what Wong played for all 3 OT’s it just worked out.

Advertisement
When Lykes and Mcgusty were out This team moved the ball more and took better shots. period. That is my argument. There is no evidence needed to see that was the case. Wong playing iso 1 on 1 ball is much different than lykes because he doesn't settle for contested pull ups. We scored 100+ points last night and only had 10 assists. That is absolutely pathetic.

He doesn't settle for contested pull ups??? He took 3 contested pull ups in the final minutes of the first and second OTs, with the game on the line! He just happened to make all of them.

You're completely playing the result here. Wong does exactly what you criticize Lykes and Kam for doing, but it works out sometimes because he's become a good scorer, so you're saying it's somehow different. Iso ball often works out for Lykes and Kam too, since they are both very good scorers, but because they've played more games, they've had it not work out sometimes, as well. If Wong takes the same shots he took last night in future games, there will be times he misses those tough shots, at which point you'll say he is being selfish yada yada.

Basketball is very much a make-or-miss sport. You're force-fitting a narrative on the makes.

And evidence is always needed. Don't confuse having no evidence (because what you're saying doesn't align with reality) with evidence not being needed.

He doesn't settle for contested pull ups??? He took 3 contested pull ups in the final minutes of the first and second OTs, with the game on the line! He just happened to make all of them.

You're completely playing the result here. Wong does exactly what you criticize Lykes and Kam for doing, but it works out sometimes because he's become a good scorer, so you're saying it's somehow different. Iso ball often works out for Lykes and Kam too, since they are both very good scorers, but because they've played more games, they've had it not work out sometimes, as well. If Wong takes the same shots he took last night in future games, there will be times he misses those tough shots, at which point you'll say he is being selfish yada yada.

Basketball is very much a make-or-miss sport. You're force-fitting a narrative on the makes.

And evidence is always needed. Don't confuse having no evidence (because what you're saying doesn't align with reality) with evidence not being needed.
Those were not contested pull ups like Lykes takes. Lykes tends to just settle & "pull up in peoples ****"

They were tough shots but the separation was there to chalk it up as a higher percentage contested shot.

1st shot in OT. Crosses over defender. Defenders cuts him off to a spot and forces him to turn. He spins, creates separation and knocks down a contested shot.

2nd shot in OT. Crosses over defender. Defender cuts him off to a spot and forces him to turn. He spins, creates separation and knocks down a contested shot.

He doesn't settle and pull up in peoples **** like Lykes does. He actually makes a move, turns the corner on someone or spins to create separation if they cut him off to his spot. Comparing the contested jumpers Lykes takes to him is not a fair argument. Wong takes high percentage contested shots. Lykes doesn't and Mcgusty tends to get Lazy and settle and "pull up in someones ****" jump shots on occasion as well. Wong creates more seperation than anyone on the team. i would say Lykes does but his lack of size negates that completely.

Last edited:
Fans gonna fan.

Poor guy. Who hurt you mane? Let's talk about it...

Advertisement
Those were not contested pull ups like Lykes takes. Lykes tends to just settle & "pull up in peoples ****"

They were tough shots but the separation was there to chalk it up as a higher percentage contested shot.

1st shot in OT. Crosses over defender. Defenders cuts him off to a spot and forces him to turn. He spins, creates separation and knocks down a contested shot.

2nd shot in OT. Crosses over defender. Defender cuts him off to a spot and forces him to turn. He spins, creates separation and knocks down a contested shot.

He doesn't settle and pull up in peoples **** like Lykes does. He actually makes a move, turns the corner on someone or spins to create separation if they cut him off to his spot. Comparing the contested jumpers Lykes takes to him is not a fair argument. Wong takes high percentage contested shots. Lykes doesn't and Mcgusty tends to get Lazy and settle and "pull up in someones ****" jump shots on occasion as well. Wong creates more seperation than anyone on the team. i would say Lykes does but his lack of size negates that completely.

I wasn't going to respond to your comment because it was just incoherent drivel ("high percentage contested shots" lolol), but then I saw the highlight below and it was too good to pass up.

Screenshot_20200220-153302_Samsung Internet.jpg

I wasn't going to respond to your comment because it was just incoherent drivel ("high percentage contested shots" lolol), but then I saw the highlight below and it was too good to pass up.

View attachment 112183
well since you didn't take into consideration any of the factors that go into this jump shot. Let's break this down just by the photo:

1st and formost: This is a 3-4 inch height different between Isaih Wong 6'3 and Wabissa Bede
2nd you can clearly see that Wong is able to get his shot over Bede with solid fundamentals. Squared up and didn't change his form

This is a well contested shot. This is a text book close out. None of that matters due to the size difference. Wong is able to get that shot off cleanly because of his size and athleticism, along with text book fundamentals in that photo.

I bet you he misses that shot more times than not. But if this is the type of shot you get in the final seconds with a height advantage of 3 inches. You take that all day.

well since you didn't take into consideration any of the factors that go into this jump shot. Let's break this down just by the photo:

1st and formost: This is a 3-4 inch height different between Isaih Wong 6'3 and Wabissa Bede
2nd you can clearly see that Wong is able to get his shot over Bede with solid fundamentals. Squared up and didn't change his form

This is a well contested shot. This is a text book close out. None of that matters due to the size difference. Wong is able to get that shot off cleanly because of his size and athleticism, along with text book fundamentals in that photo.

I bet you he misses that shot more times than not. But if this is the type of shot you get in the final seconds with a height advantage of 3 inches. You take that all day.

Let's just agree we're all happy to have Wong.

The key to the current win streak and why fans are excited about next season is due to one word: depth.

Miami is 7-1 when all 9 players are healthy. Depth allows the team to play hard on the defensive end and it has created some easy baskets.

Also, starting Stone over Wardenburg has made the team defensively better.
Stone is a really good team defender while Sam is Sam. Coach L now needs to reduce the minutes he is giving DJ and play Harlond more to give the team more athleticism. Especially if DJ is not making jump shots.

To continue being successful, Miami needs to use all 13 scholarships so they always have depth to withstand injuries that tend to derail the season.

Advertisement
Back