The fumble that wasn't...

I was ****ed at the time this happened because I thought Joe Jackson ripped the ball out of Cam Akers' hands well before his forward progress was stopped and the whistle was blown. I was even more ****ed that it didn't warrant a review. I could have sworn at the time that the whistle was not blown until after the ball was ripped out and now, after watching this, I'm sure.

As a couple people mentioned in the comments: if Akers, at the point the ball was stripped, would have broken out of the pile and ran for a TD instead, it probably would have stood. Just one in many questionable calls/no calls during the game on Saturday.

[TWEET]916802948436582400[/TWEET]

Last edited:
Advertisement
There is another post on this, but didn't have time to comment in it. This was clear as day. Guy in Charlotte was sleeping at the wheel on this one and the targeting play by their lb.

I was yelling at the TV that it was a fumble. I would say there were bad calls on both sides but overall Miami got the advantage of the calls in my opinion.

That hit on Malik by Thomas was BS. That dude used his forearm right into his head and with enough force to knock his helmet off. Dude did that **** earlier in the game too! He should have been tossed for targeting. Bet dollars to doughnuts he gets tossed this year for sure.

Advertisement
Not sure if I can find it right now, but there's a twitter post out there somewhere with a clip of this play including sound. I watched it at least 10 times and every time it looks like a clear strip and turnover well before the whistle. Still baffled as to why it was not reviewed.

I was yelling at the TV that it was a fumble. I would say there were bad calls on both sides but overall Miami got the advantage of the calls in my opinion.

You do know that Miami was the team in white uniforms, right? No way that Miami had the advantage in calls. Watch AR82 getting mugged every snap or the non calls on the FSU OL which was holding all game. Not ticky tack holds but fistfuls of jerseys right in front of the refs. I was shocked that the game winning TD stood, if they had originally called him down, then I'd wager heavily they would not have overturned it in Miami's favor even though the replay clearly showed the ball across the goal line before the knee was down.

Until this game I’d never seen a worse officiated game than 2012 Miami / GT game. I stopped counting no calls on OL holds by FSU at 24 (yes 24). Multiple no calls on PI against FSU but then they called offensive PI against Berrios which was questionable at best. No call on targeting by that Faquet, Matthew Thomas! We beat FSU & the refs!

Advertisement

Your football acumen is in question after this comment. How in the **** did you see that?

You do know that Miami was the team in white uniforms, right? No way that Miami had the advantage in calls. Watch AR82 getting mugged every snap or the non calls on the FSU OL which was holding all game. Not ticky tack holds but fistfuls of jerseys right in front of the refs. I was shocked that the game winning TD stood, if they had originally called him down, then I'd wager heavily they would not have overturned it in Miami's favor even though the replay clearly showed the ball across the goal line before the knee was down.

Lost in the merriment was an important fact the Richt pointed out in his press conference. Had they called him down, the FG would have been from the 15 because of the penalty.

Still baffled as to why it was not reviewed.

You can't review a play that is ruled dead due to forward progress being stopped.

Thank you. It was the wrong call but if the refs on the field say forward progress was stopped, its not reviewable by the booth. The whistle is not the determining factor except in the case of an inadvertent whistle, it is the judgement of the officials on the field. Still a terrible call.

Advertisement
You kidding? Richards was being mugged on at least half his routes. The targeting no call on Rosier was egregious. And their OL proved that Trickett excels at teaching how to hold for a no call, and nothing else. GTHOH with that talk.

The 3 worst officiated games I've seen in recent memory: Miami vs Duke 2015, Miami vs FSU 2016, and Miami vs FSU 2017. Holy **** this was a fumble and a clear path to the endzone for a TD at that. The announcers reading off the definition of targeting as we watched the replay of the Matthew Thomas hit and it was identical to the definition.. yet couldn't warrant a review. The next play they had to stop the game to review a clear as day Berrios TD.

Still baffled as to why it was not reviewed.

You can't review a play that is ruled dead due to forward progress being stopped.

Thank you. It was the wrong call but if the refs on the field say forward progress was stopped, its not reviewable by the booth. The whistle is not the determining factor except in the case of an inadvertent whistle, it is the judgement of the officials on the field. Still a terrible call.

The problem I have is why did it take so long to blow the whistle if the refs felt like Akers' forward progress was stopped?

The ball was actually ripped out by Joe Jackson while Akers was still fighting for yardage. Akers then falls backward (after the ball is already out) and the loose ball is then passed from Jackson to McIntosh. I believe that the refs assumed that the ball was ripped out after Akers fell back (he's actually trying to fight to regain possession at this point) when it he was actually stripped a little earlier. I think they we're wrong on the timing of his forward progress being stopped because they didn't actually see when the strip occured.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back