The Fab Five

CanefaninBuckeyeland

The Shogun of CIS
I know the Fab Five belongs to a different UM, but I just spent some time talking to each member of the Fab Five and TO A MAN, they all said that they modeled themselves after the 'Canes. Jimmy King went as far to say they tried to borrow some of the 'Canes swag when they played. Jalen Rose was like, "You already know how I feel about them 'Canes."

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. Btw, the wind chill up here is -15°. Someone pass that info along to J. Smith for me.

Advertisement
I know the Fab Five belongs to a different UM, but I just spent some time talking to each member of the Fab Five and TO A MAN, they all said that they modeled themselves after the 'Canes. Jimmy King went as far to say they tried to borrow some of the 'Canes swag when they played. Jalen Rose was like, "You already know how I feel about them 'Canes."

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. Btw, the wind chill up here is -15°. Someone pass that info along to J. Smith for me.

Rose used to rock Miami gear all the time.

1705361583310.gif

Advertisement

In the ESPN 30 for 30 of the Fab Five, there’s a scene where there wearing Canes hats iirc.
At no point in time would do I think you would see the opposite

Advertisement
Their favorite football team was the U, and their favorite basketball team was the flying Illini. They had good taste in style for sure.

I've told this story before. Even to @TheOriginalCane in person. @Rellyrell will attest. In 1992 there was a Sub Shop in Downtown Orlando called Mama B''s Subs. It was a Hop, Skip and a Jump from the old Arena, and the Omni (now Marriott) where Teams would stay (Magic Opponents and CBB Tournaments). One afternoon (I lived 4 blks away) I went in for a Sub, and Jalen Rose, Jimmy King, and Juwan (Webber wasn't there) were exiting. I had a UM Hat and Shirt on, and Jalen immediately said Go Canes and all of us stood at the Sub Shop and talked for a good 5mins. They were in town for an Easter Tournament (I think Seton Hall was their next opponent) and all 3 of them said they loved UM Football. All 3 were Super Cool and fun to chat with. All they had to do was literally walk 4blks back to the Omni.

I've told this story before. Even to @TheOriginalCane in person. @Rellyrell will attest. In 1992 there was a Sub Shop in Downtown Orlando called Mama B''s Subs. It was a Hop, Skip and a Jump from the old Arena, and the Omni (now Marriott) where Teams would stay (Magic Opponents and CBB Tournaments). One afternoon (I lived 4 blks away) I went in for a Sub, and Jalen Rose, Jimmy King, and Juwan (Webber wasn't there) were exiting. I had a UM Hat and Shirt on, and Jalen immediately said Go Canes and all of us stood at the Sub Shop and talked for a good 5mins. They were in town for an Easter Tournament (I think Seton Hall was their next opponent) and all 3 of them said they loved UM Football. All 3 were Super Cool and fun to chat with. All they had to do was literally walk 4blks back to the Omni.

Yep. And Mama B's just recently closed down. Great place!

Yeah man, you could tell the love they have for the 'Canes is genuine. They all lit up when I told them I'm a fan. I ain't gonna lie, I went full on fan boy for about 30 minutes.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Hmmmm ...

Advertisement
Back