Needs to wrap up better and continue developing his awareness in Zone.
But physically he looks like a dawg and plays tough. Question is next yr do we want him at Nickel or Safety?
Fitz taking that role imoDepends. Is Poyser still here?
Fitz taking that role imo
It’s my opinion that Fitz should be the Nickel on passing downs regardless of who’s healthy. Rotate Dunnigan in as a Safety instead of as a Nickel.Taking what role? Fitz is the other starting safety, he’s only playing corner because we’re decimated at Corner.
If Poyser is back, him and Fitz are the starting safeties. Dunnigan rotates in there and at Nickel.
If Poyser leaves, Dunnigan and Fitz are your safeties.
It’s my opinion that Fitz should be the Nickel on passing downs regardless of who’s healthy. Rotate Dunnigan in as a Safety instead of as a Nickel.
I kinda get it if the idea is having Fitz in coverage closer to QB and “more involved” given I think technically Scott had most targets against him last yr (Maybe Toure most) and we saw how important pass coverage and athleticism from Scott was…but with how much Heatherman blitzes Nickel I’m not sure I want Fitz there the whole time. It’s not like he really significantly only blitzes on run downs, he heavily blitzes on pass downs. And that’s not cause I don’t want Fitz blitzing it’s just cause I want him in coverage more… And like for instance Thornton will likely return too and I think he’s far more value blitzing.It’s my opinion that Fitz should be the Nickel on passing downs regardless of who’s healthy. Rotate Dunnigan in as a Safety instead of as a Nickel.
A lot of the blitzing Nickel has occurred on early downs. I want Fitz at Safety on earlier downs.I kinda get it if the idea is having Fitz in coverage closer to QB and “more involved” given I think technically Scott had most targets against him last yr (Maybe Toure most) and we saw how important pass coverage and athleticism from Scott was…but with how much Heatherman blitzes Nickel I’m not sure I want Fitz there the whole time. It’s not like he really significantly only blitzes on run downs, he heavily blitzes on pass downs. And that’s not cause I don’t want Fitz blitzing it’s just cause I want him in coverage more… And like for instance Thornton will likely return too and I think he’s far more value blitzing.
So for me I think:
- Sears same role as Fitz as a Frosh (safety pass downs). Basically comes in when Thornton comes off.
- Fitz same Role Poyser has been playing (FS). Full starter obviously
- Dunnigan Safety and Nickel in pass downs. Full time starter.
- Thornton Nickel Run Downs. Starter and rotates off with Sears.
He’s not supposed to be setting the edge on 3rd and passing. Bryce IS the best ball hawk on the team, but he is also the best Nickel we currently have on the team.I disagree. Bryce is a ball-hawk first. Let him do what he’s best at. I also don’t think he’s a great edge setter nor blitzer, and that’s what we ask our nickel to do in this defense. I’m not saying he can’t play there or he’d be bad, but i want him in center field. I think Keionte was the most prototypical nickel Heatherman can have, and I don’t see that player in Bryce.
This is a good problem to have though, obviously. If Poyser comes back, OJ is obviously back (I’m going to church to pray for 2027 health), EOC, Lucas probably back, Dunnigan, Bryce, this is a crazy talented group to play chess with.
I just hope the conductor is back, but that’s another discussion.