THE DOWNLO w/MIDLO. Canes & college football stuff. 11/12/23

Advertisement
Advertisement
For anyone interested in the Highland Springs vs. Miramar game, here’s some background on a team that I grew up watching.

The Springers have had the premier program in the Richmond area for decades, with more regional titles & state titles than any other school.

They schedule top teams from around Virginia & out of state. I’m thinking this may be their 1st time to play a South Florida team.

They open the 2023 season in the top 75 in both MaxPreps and HSFA rankings. Last year they went 15-0, averaged 43.9 ppg, and gave up 6.1 ppg. Miramar was 10-2, 36.2/11.1. Looks like a good game to start the year!

Below are a few highlights from the 2022 VHSL class 5 state title game against Maury H.S. of Norfolk, which they won 35-21.

For anyone interested in the Highland Springs vs. Miramar game, here’s some background on a team that I grew up watching.

The Springers have had the premier program in the Richmond area for decades, with more regional titles & state titles than any other school.

They schedule top teams from around Virginia & out of state. I’m thinking this may be their 1st time to play a South Florida team.

They open the 2023 season in the top 75 in both MaxPreps and HSFA rankings. Last year they went 15-0, averaged 43.9 ppg, and gave up 6.1 ppg. Miramar was 10-2, 36.2/11.1. Looks like a good game to start the year!

Below are a few highlights from the 2022 VHSL class 5 state title game against Maury H.S. of Norfolk, which they won 35-21.

They have had consistent success with talented good Coaches through many years......
Living in Monacan Hills...adjacent to Midlothian Va...Highland Springs is in the area......and yes they do play and schedule teams across Va.
This is a school that has been on the local HS map , playing a high level of local football for years....good players, but the talent pool from Florida will take them to another level in competition with Miramar...should be an interesting game.

They have had consistent success with talented good Coaches through many years......
Living in Monacan Hills...adjacent to Midlothian Va...Highland Springs is in the area......and yes they do play and schedule teams across Va.
This is a school that has been on the local HS map , playing a high level of local football for years....good players, but the talent pool from Florida will take them to another level in competition with Miramar...should be an interesting game.
I went to Henrico High, our zone bordered them & we played them every year since 1966. I went to some great games in the 70's.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Came for the Springers talk. Are they hosting or going down to FL for the game?

Best team in the Richmond VA reigon. Couple D1 one guys on the squad including the QB who is Maryland bound.

Advertisement

From Richmond Times-Dispatch:

No. 1 Highland Springs at Miramar (Florida), Friday, 7:30 p.m.: Springers coach Loren Johnson travels to face his alma mater in a poignant season-opener for the reigning state champs and top program in Virginia (MaxPreps). The Patriots are already 1-0 after a season-opening 21-0 win at Edison (Miami) in their season opener, so a program coming off a 10-2 season in which it won two playoff games has advantages of home field and pace of preparation — this is a tall task for Highland Springs. But surely, reigning All-Metro player of the year Khristian Martin and Co. wouldn’t have it any other way after passing early-season road tests in North Carolina and West Virginia last year. These Springers aren’t afraid of a little plane ride and a hostile environment. Look for speedsters Jakyre Henley and Eli Williams to provide big-play pop for the road team. Defensively, linebacker Brennan Johnson is the heart and soul of a unit directed by cerebral play-caller Devon Simmons.

Zach Joachim’s pick: Highland Springs 42-14
Melanie Martinez-Lopez’s pick: Highland Springs 28-27

This is the Springers first season as a 6A school. their HC Loren Johnson is a Miramar grad i believe and he was a defensive back for the VT Hokies in the late 90's. Coach Johnson is spectacular and has 4 maybe 5 state titles at Highland Springs. He has taken the Springers national over the years, playing a top WV school and the last 2 years playing the 6A champs in North Carolina. this was always his vision.

This is the Springers first season as a 6A school. their HC Loren Johnson is a Miramar grad i believe and he was a defensive back for the VT Hokies in the late 90's. Coach Johnson is spectacular and has 4 maybe 5 state titles at Highland Springs. He has taken the Springers national over the years, playing a top WV school and the last 2 years playing the 6A champs in North Carolina. this was always his vision.

Yeap......Johnson was a Miramar grad who played at VT from 1995 through 1998.

Advertisement
Back