THE DOWNLO w/MIDLO. Canes & college football stuff. 11/12/23

Advertisement

cb1e7988dd6d20b36269bca634367c75--old-photographs-old-photos.jpg

I nominate @canesthing3 to answer that one. Lol. He’ll keep it positive.

Man, I don’t know. I don’t think he wants to admit failure and transfer again but he’s not going to log any snaps at QB without something catastrophic taking place and it seems that moving to WR has been taken off the table.

Without a position change or transfer, I guess he’s going to just ride out his career on the bench and be content living in Miami with Kiki lol.

Advertisement
Man, I don’t know. I don’t think he wants to admit failure and transfer again but he’s not going to log any snaps at QB without something catastrophic taking place and it seems that moving to WR has been taken off the table.

Without a position change or transfer, I guess he’s going to just ride out his career on the bench and be content living in Miami with Kiki lol.
Maybe Tate will become an Agent and go work with @apfenny3 ???

Maybe Tate will become an Agent and go work with @apfenny3 ???
May as well. I’m sure he has plenty of connections and pursuing a career playing professionally isn’t realistic so why not? To be honest, I’d kind of forgotten about him during fall camp.

Seems like he’s content to try and stay under the radar and just, like I said, ride it out living in Miami with his girl and get his degree. Im sure it’s not what he envisioned and it’s pretty embarrassing (considering the expectations) but could be worse.

Last edited:
May as well. I’m sure he has plenty of connections and pursuing a career playing professionally isn’t realistic so why not? To be honest, I’d kind of forgotten about him during fall camp.

Seems like he’s content to try and stay under the radar and just, like I said, ride it out living in Miami with his girl and get his degree. Im sure it’s not what he envisioned and it’s pretty embarrassing but could be worse.
He got a free ride to a great school in a great place, living the life with that girl of his. It may not be what he envisioned but life is still good.

Advertisement
Now this guy left me jonesing last year. I'm ready...
We have a lot to look forward to this year just in that quote. Even with the linebackers - we could see more mistakes but also see more spectacular play. 3 day!

Advertisement
He got a free ride to a great school in a great place, living the life with that girl of his. It may not be what he envisioned but life is still good.

Kids got money,a fine piece of tail and free room and board in one of the finest places to be in the country...Not sure he cares if he gets snaps or not.If he does they will be with the scout team.
Save his stamina to take care of that fine young lady cause since he’s not a BMOC anymore he might have to put in extra time to make sure she stays around.

▪ All of the genuinely great Miami Hurricanes teams had dominant defensive tackle play, and that remains the biggest question mark with this 2020 team, aside from offensive line.

Defensive coordinator Blake Baker on Monday admitted what’s obvious to all Hurricanes fans who have been paying attention: The starting defensive tackles - Jon Ford and Nesta “Jade” Silvera - simply must be more consistent.

“Based off film last year, they showed flashes,” Baker said. “There were times they were really good and times they could have been a lot better. The expectation is a lot more consistency from those two.

“Both bring something different. Jon Ford is a mammoth man who can get his hands [on offensive linemen]. Jade is quick twitch, sudden, plays with a serious edge. I’m excited about those two guys. If they’re both consistent, they both can be dominant.”

Jordan Miller and Jared Harrison-Hunte are listed as the top backups at defensive tackle, with Harrison-Hunte getting the nod over Jalar Holley and Jason Blissett.

“I talked to Jared last night and since he’s been here, really the last week has been the most consistent he’s been,” Baker said. “He’s super athletic and starting to figure it out as far as his technique and effort on a consistent basis. He will play a ton of reps on Thursday. He will challenge for a starting job every single week.”

▪ Baker said the battle for the starting linebacker spot opposite Zach McCloud was very competitive, with Bradley Jennings Jr. getting the nod over Sam Brooks. All three will play a lot.

The battle is “ongoing,” Baker said. “The following week it could be Sam Brooks. He has so much speed, very instinctual. And [Brooks is] playing both our MIKE and WILL this year. We’ll continue to get him reps at both those positions. It’s been an ongoing battle. You’ll see both of them play on Thursday. I feel good about playing both of them.”

UM coach Manny Diaz said of Jennings: “Since he’s been here, it’s been neck and neck with Shaq Quarterman for who the biggest hitters are on our football team; BJ wasn’t far behind. I’m talking about in the box, lay the thump on some guys. BJ is a very explosive football player.”

Besides Brooks, Waynmon Steed is listed as the other backup linebacker.

“He is a really smart football player, has a lot of reps in the defense, very knowledgeable about what we do,” Baker said of Steed. “Inside of the box he can really thump you. I’m excited for Waynmon. He’s been through a couple of ACL surgeries and for him to battle back and earn that backup role, I couldn’t be more proud of him.”

Baker said the striker battle also has been highly competitive, with Gilbert Frierson and Keontra Smith listed as an either/or on the depth chart and Ryan Ragone third-string.

Diaz said both Frierson and Smith “have earned the right” to call themselves starters.

“I’ve been really, really happy with both those guys,” Baker said. “Both those guys could start for us. It could be one week Gil is starting, the next Keontra based on what they do in practice. Going into Thursday it’ll be similar from a reps standpoint.

“Keontra was dominant early in camp. Gilbert, he felt an underclassmen really push him and upped his game the last two weeks. Proud of him; he could have folded the tent and packed up. Both those guys had really good camps for us.”

▪ Asked the freshmen who have most impressed on defense, Baker said: “Starting at linebacker I think Corey Flagg has really done a good job. He’s very instinctual, a student of the game, has picked it up very quickly.

“Some of those D linemen are going to continue to develop. Elijah Roberts is really showing flashes and [cornerback] Isaiah Dunson has done some good things and [safety] Brian Balom has been phenomenal the entire camp. A lot of those guys just have to continue to develop and get better.”

▪ At running back, the second team spot was left unresolved, as an either/or between freshmen Jaylon Knighton and Don Chaney Jr., who both figure to play a lot behind starter Cam’Ron Harris.

“We do have two true freshmen that are really talented - they’ve done well in scrimmages,” offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said.

“We have a veteran in Cam Harris that will lead the way. And getting Robert Burns [from knee surgery] back helps…. You have to run the ball to win. You have to throw the ball to score but run the ball to win.”

How the game is going - and performance obviously - will determine how reps are split between the two freshmen running backs. “They have to get their feet wet a little bit,” Diaz said.

▪ As expected, Al Blades Jr. and DJ Ivey have held onto their starting cornerback jobs, but Te’Cory Couch and Christian Williams have made a case for defensive snaps.

“Te’Cory and Christian have done great jobs pushing those two guys that have a little more experience,” Baker said. “I expect to see all four play and all four play well. The competition has made the older guys better. They’ve definitely pushed DJ and Al. I feel good about any of those of those guys playing.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back