The Dolphins got a grasshopper!

1000000885.png

Advertisement
I can remember the Dolphins drafting Eddie “Earthquake” Blake in the second round with the intention of using him as a defensive tackle.

He played offensive line in college (although to be fair he occasionally was used on defense).

Who could forget Jackie Shipp. I could bash the 80s Dolphins all day. How about that fearsome secondary featuring Jarvis Williams and JB. Brown? Getting destroyed by Wesley Walker every year. You want 90s? Daryl Gardener? Cecil Collins? That Ride the Buffalo dance? Super cringe!

I'm just busting your chops Dolphin fans. You guys have had some great players and teams. The 70s Dolphins were tough as nails. You had some great offenses with Marino. That passing game was borderline unstoppable! If you only had a defense back then. Of course the great Jason Taylor, Zack Thomas, Sam Madison, Troy Vincent, Bryan Cox, Cameron Wake etc..

I just felt a little twinge of pain when you mentioned Jackie Shipp. My next thought was John Bosa and then the mother of all the Dolphins bad draft picks over the years came blasting to mind.

JAMAR FLETCHER

What makes the Fletcher pick so bad for me was the Phins drafted him instead of Drew Brees and the team desperately needed a QB at the time.

Then the organization doubled down and signed Dante Cullpepper to a huge contract instead of bringing in Drew Brees some years later back when the team was big game hunting for a QB in free agency.

Last edited:
Most Dolphin fans don't realize that it was Joe Thomas Miami's Director of Player Personnel who put together most of the top players from the 1972 Super Bowl team. Including obscene trades for Paul Warfield, Nick Buoniconti and Larry Little and then covincing Jake Scott to switch from the BC Lions to Miami.

Of course, Shula was the master of getting all the pieces to work together.

Advertisement
I like their last 2 picks a lot better than the first 2. That Co State DE was wrecking sh*t vs Colorado.

I can remember the Dolphins drafting Eddie “Earthquake” Blake in the second round with the intention of using him as a defensive tackle.

He played offensive line in college (although to be fair he occasionally was used on defense).
I remember the Dolphins taking Ronnie Brown at #2 in 2005. Aaron Rodgers went #24.

I remember the Dolphins taking John Avery at #29 in 1998.

I remember the Dolphins passing on Drew Brees.

I REMEMBER THE DOLPHINS TAKING JAKE ******* LONG #1 WHEN MATT RYAN WAS AVAILABLE!!!!!!

Jesus Wept.

I remember Stephen Ross conning the fans into thinking he's the GOAT owner because of F1.

I remember the Dolphins taking Ronnie Brown at #2 in 2005. Aaron Rodgers went #24.

I remember the Dolphins taking John Avery at #29 in 1998.

I remember the Dolphins passing on Drew Brees.

I REMEMBER THE DOLPHINS TAKING JAKE ******* LONG #1 WHEN MATT RYAN WAS AVAILABLE!!!!!!
I remember Local media was championing the Long pick. They loved it.

Advertisement
This isn't to say Long sucked. He was a very good player.

But you don't take him over MATT RYAN.
They kind of referenced that philosophy on Thursday. The philosophy where you pass up a quarterback to build up your line first. Which is what they did in 2008.

That said, no NFL team spent more high value resources on quarterbacks between 2004 and 2012.

2004 - 2nd rounder traded for A.J. Feeley
2006 - 2nd rounder traded for Dante Culpepper
2007 - 2nd round selection - John Beck
2008 - 2nd round selection - Chad Henne
2009 - 2nd round selection - Pat White
2012 - 1st round selection - Ryan Tannehill

Couple that with running back between 2001 and 2007:

2001 - 3rd round selection - Travis Minor
2002 - 1st rounder traded for Ricky Williams
2003 - 1st rounder traded for Ricky Williams
2005 - 1st round selection - Ronnie Brown
2005 - 3rd rounder traded for Lamar Gordon
2007 - 3rd round selection - Lorenzo Booker

This completed hollowed out the franchise.

Advertisement
Back