The difference a QB makes

PennsylvaniaCane

Sophomore
The same story over the last 20 years. If you have a very very good to elite QB in CFB you typically win much more than you lose. If you have avg to slightly above avg you are going to be a 6-8 win team. Go through the top 10 every year and tell me how many teams had avg QBs.

TVD has way too many issues to be a consistent winner. He made throws in the first 4 games but did the same things that are now getting exposed. People talk the play calls or the OL getting beat. More than once last night I saw a RB go to the left to be a check down option facing a single defender only to see TVD turn his back to them and move right.

He’s forced throws to his safe space (X) all season. Look back at the “great throw” on a sideline TD route to X early in the season. Was a way more difficult throw than it would have been to Riley who was running wide open in the middle with a clear path to the end zone. Now the competition has gotten better than against the first 4 teams and those throwing windows have shrunk.

People will say but what about some of the big plays last night? Do you honestly think those same or similar options aren’t there more than they get exploited. Again, forcing the ball on 3rd down to a triple covered 5’9” receiver while Horton is past the sticks very open on an in route.

Like I said last night put any of the top 10 team QBs on this team and tell me what our record is.

it’s not even TVDs fault. He is who he is. Made a lot of the same mistakes in 2021 and his lack of read ability really showed early last season in a non one read offense.

Point being, until we land a very very good to great QB we will struggle to consistently win 10 games.

Advertisement
The same story over the last 20 years. If you have a very very good to elite QB in CFB you typically win much more than you lose. If you have avg to slightly above avg you are going to be a 6-8 win team. Go through the top 10 every year and tell me how many teams had avg QBs.

TVD has way too many issues to be a consistent winner. He made throws in the first 4 games but did the same things that are now getting exposed. People talk the play calls or the OL getting beat. More than once last night I saw a RB go to the left to be a check down option facing a single defender only to see TVD turn his back to them and move right.

He’s forced throws to his safe space (X) all season. Look back at the “great throw” on a sideline TD route to X early in the season. Was a way more difficult throw than it would have been to Riley who was running wide open in the middle with a clear path to the end zone. Now the competition has gotten better than against the first 4 teams and those throwing windows have shrunk.

People will say but what about some of the big plays last night? Do you honestly think those same or similar options aren’t there more than they get exploited. Again, forcing the ball on 3rd down to a triple covered 5’9” receiver while Horton is past the sticks very open on an in route.

Like I said last night put any of the top 10 team QBs on this team and tell me what our record is.

it’s not even TVDs fault. He is who he is. Made a lot of the same mistakes in 2021 and his lack of read ability really showed early last season in a non one read offense.

Point being, until we land a very very good to great QB we will struggle to consistently win 10 games.
Malik rosier won 10 games.
King won 8 in a shortened season.

Both were worse passers but better runners.

Please read calinative’s post, he says that TVD was a B graded player at the UNC game! He stated that TVD was great, as his numbers reflect, but TVD packed his numbers when the game was over! TVD is average as average can get and behind him are average QBs as well! I am hoping the next 2 QBs can come in and compete!

Advertisement
Malik rosier won 10 games.
King won 8 in a shortened season.

Both were worse passers but better runners.
Rosier got a lot of bounces that year. Could have very easily been a 7 win season like it was the next year.

King didn’t have some of the other issues TVD has. Also his escape ability was elite which extended plays. Consider him a poor man’s Jordan Travis. Still not elite though.

I'm completely off the TVD wagon. Supposedly he has 3-4 targets but you'd never know it with the frequency he hits X. Defenses have picked up on it and picking him off fairly regularly now. So much for that come back year Tyler.

Maybe if we all chip in, we can pay the $145 for an appearance to show up to a game.

NIL LINK

1697372085115.png

Advertisement
Rosier got a lot of bounces that year. Could have very easily been a 7 win season like it was the next year.

King didn’t have some of the other issues TVD has. Also his escape ability was elite which extended plays. Consider him a poor man’s Jordan Travis. Still not elite though.
Both of them beat FSU - something TVD will probably never accomplish

Last years Heisman Trophy winning QB and Heisman front runner this year who has an offensive genius for a HC threw 3 picks last night against ND. Just sayin’
Elite QBs don’t win every game but they’ll get you to 10+ wins consistently. Of course provided the rest of your squad isn’t a complete soup sandwich…..which ours is not.

Both of them beat FSU - something TVD will probably never accomplish
Who was the starter in those games for FSU. While our guys weren’t elite they were a **** of a lot better than what FSU was trotting out there. Even with that 2017 came down to a last second throw

Advertisement
It's so frustrating to watch at times. He locks in on 1 wr everytime. Again he had the check downs on the TE and RB open and choose to force the ball into a tiny window with X and George. Also why isn't there any motion with the wr to put people in mismatces

You don't even need a Top 10 QB - just give me a game manager that can progress through his reads and hit the open man.

That would have us beating everyone on our schedule this year not named FSU and Clemson - those would be dogfights.

TVD is a gunslinger, but he gets tunnel vision - it's a bad combination and I can't wait for him to leave.

Advertisement
I’ve been thinking waaay too deep about this and have came to the oversimplified conclusion that in order for us to be successful we need a dual threat QB that can make plays inside and outside of the pocket. The majority of successful teams have a QB that is mobile & can extend plays. While TVD has shown solid improvement from last year he’s still slow as molasses!

Looking back at when we’ve won in recent memory Aka with King & Rosier they both could run so defenses had to worry about that. As crazy as this may seem we may need a Jacurri package or something to put on film for defenses to worry about.

Obviously we have a lot of other issues but this would definitely help

Probably no different. There are other issues. Like the other thread says, "This is not a smart team".

You can't fix stupid that easily.

Advertisement
Back