The Defensive Line Rotation Could Get Big

Right you gotta take away one or the other. I'd like to see Bryce Young beat us through the air.

Exactly we can’t get destroyed in the power run game and their spread passing attack and we don’t have another elite pass rusher that warrants fielding a dline that’s light in the ***. McCloud is going to get pushed back to the locker room against them boys. We need size more than anything.. **** I would try Nesta at SDE, LT at WDE with Ford and Miller in the middle in certain situations.

Advertisement
To piggy back off of this great post, I'd like to see 3 dt's playing to take away the run game. We need to take one or the other away from them. I would prefer to take away the run if possible.
Harrison Hunt and LT have the size and quickness to put at DE opposite of Johnson. Just a thought. Have one of them along with Ford , Nesta , and Johnson would make for a strong front four. We still have enough depth to rotate guys the entire game.

I don’t think we have the backers to compete. Game comes down to that IMO.

I would start Flagg at MLB and Brooks at WLB… the only two LBers with enough physicality to give us a chance against the power run game. Still at a big disadvantage in that department.

A rotation is nice, but who do we trust to be in that rotation against the best team in the nation???

DE: Harvey, DeAndre Johnson, McCloud, Chantz, Elijah, LT
DT: Nesta, Miller, Ford, JHH, LT

That's a 9 man rotation right there and there's ALOT of inexperience in that rotation. To me, you only beat a team like BAMAs OL by rotating DL but they have to be Dawgs. It will be interesting to see who we rotate and just how we do against BAMA up front.

I don’t think we have the backers to compete. Game comes down to that IMO.
I’ve heard some things about the backers from last year that really gives me hope for this year. Both schematically and physically.

Advertisement
I like the talk of putting Robert’s or Taylor on one side then speed like Harvey or Chantz on the other side. Preferably playing the bigger guys against Neal and let the speed guys go at the smaller RT. It’s going to be incumbent on Ford/Miller/Nesta/JHH to wreak havoc and beat their G’s up the middle. If we can do that without having to call a lot of run blitzes then I think we can also harass Young all game long for I g up some INT’s. I think we have the better secondary which will blanket their guys allowing our rush to sack or flush Bryce out of the pocket.

Who will go up against Evan Neal at Left tackle?
I don't know but that kid is good; he's a local kid that is going to play in the pros. Which ****es me off; Jimmy Jones was the best local prospect to play in the NFL, and he was a Cane.

Now Okeechobee's best prospect played for Alabama. God **** ************. :/

Alabama has averaged 49, 45 and 45 points per game the last 3 seasons. These dudes are going to score points regardless of who is on our dline.

with that said, Everyone who’s ever played football knows the most disruptive thing to any offense is A gap pressure. DE’s get the glory but if you can create consistent A gap pressure you don’t need unbelievable DE’s, you need motor guys with relentless pursuit. DT is supposed to be one of deepest positions. It’s also supposed to be Simpson’s bread and butter. I like where you’re head is at and I’d love to see the opposite of what we’ve done in the past with GR15 and JP15. I love the idea of JHH at Strong Side paired with Nesta, LT, and Johnson. That unit would versatile enough to defend the run and proved pressure in passing situations. Regardless what the DE’s look like the success of our defense starts first and foremost with the DT’s.

Advertisement
i don't know what the Miami DL will do, but Shoop and Manny and Simpson are good enough to figure it out, at least schematically.

however, even if they do and they march out the right players and scheme, i think they still might end up failing because they just aren't good enough.

confidence goes a long long way. a few early stops can be very helpful.

Great posts in this thread. Enjoyed reading them and y’all getting me pumped 😂

Between Manny, Shoop, Simpson, Ed Reed, TRob and some advice from JimmyJ, we should see a great game plan, now can the players execute it is another thing. But for me, I’d like to see a progressive scheme and game-plan w/adjustments rolled out for this game. That’s most important for me. It’s time for our coaching to improve as well (not just a expectation of player improvement) especially in big games. Shoop needs to earn his keep in this game.

If we perform good in this game Patke deserves some credit as well. I’m surprised many Canes fans don’t notice the pattern of us justifiably having a view of our weakest position group during the off-season and then that very group exceeds our expectations during the season. I’m expecting the LBs to show up this season. Our teams are very externally motivated, when they get counted out they show up. Overall we have to get back to believing in ourselves and doing the work regardless of what the outside sentiment is.
Good post. I get what you are saying regarding everybody being down on the LBs and them feeding off of that. However its going to take a bit more than that to improve the play of that group. I could see guys like Brooks and Huff making a huge leap as well as kids like Keontra Smith, and maybe Cave. I like Flagg but I see him as a utility, depth type. What I don't see happening is a LB corps led by any combination of Jennings, Steed or Flagg as starters having some amazing transformation. Its high time that the younger faster more athletic kids start developing. They've been on training wheels for long enough.

Exactly we can’t get destroyed in the power run game and their spread passing attack and we don’t have another elite pass rusher that warrants fielding a dline that’s light in the ***. McCloud is going to get pushed back to the locker room against them boys. We need size more than anything.. **** I would try Nesta at SDE, LT at WDE with Ford and Miller in the middle in certain situations.
I am fine with trying that big DL you described but instead of Nesta at SDE, I would try either JHH or Elijah Roberts. Many have asked the question of who we have that could possibly matchup with Alabama's Left Tackle Evan Neal. He may be a true freshman but Leonard Taylor IMO is perfect for that assignment. Taylor lacks experience but his prodigious physical gifts are exactly what we need to neutralize Evan Neal.

We are not going to win this game by thinking inside the box. We are going to have to prepare and scheme by using anything and everything we have in any way necessary.

Its a fascinating and important topic. The thing is I have no clue what we are going to do in terms of personnel. We will most likely have the 4 projected starters open the game and adjust accordingly from there. If the staff feels that Bama will try to pound us out of the gate then I would expect a bigger DL to match up with Elijah Roberts and Maybe Leonard Taylor in the mix. Barring injury what I believe will happen is that from game 1 Leonard Taylor will immediately prove that he is much too valuable to be on the bench. He may be a true freshman that is far from being a finished product in terms of technique and knowledge of the scheme but his physical and athletic skills are rare and invaluable.

I would expect for us to rotate liberally in order to keep fresh as we cannot allow Baga to wear us down. The entire 2 deep and more will play vs Baga. I would expect to open with Harvey/Silvera/Harrison Hunte/Johnson with Chantz W/Ford/Miller/McCloud right behind and Ill expect to see Roberts/Taylor integrated somehow. We just need a great game plan and we need to be ourselves on defense and do what we do best. If we can get to Bryce Young and make him uncomfortable then we can stay in this game.

To me however the key to this game will be stopping the run. Saban isn't going to try to reinvent the wheel. He knows he has a true freshman quarterback making his 1st career start against a good team who went 8-3 last year and returns 87% of their defensive production while facing a seasoned veteran QB in 5th year senior King who leads an offense bring back 93% of last year's production. All that to say that Saban/O'Brien are going to keep it simple to see if we can stop the run and if we can't then they will mercilessly pound us all day. For us to have any chance at all in this game we have to be able to stop the run or at least prevent Baga from running wild. I don't expect to completely shut them down but we need to prove that we can get stops and get them off the field somewhat consistently.

The above brings me to the point that the LBs are going to be crucial to our overall defensive performance and any success we hope to have. This is the group I am truly concerned about. As much as I respect the kid I don't think that Flagg at MLB will be a good matchup for us. I am a big fan of Keontra Smith but I am concerned that Baga will exploit his lack of size at Will. We need size plus speed and athleticism at LB to really matchup with a team like Bama. It would be nice if Sam Brooks, Avery Huff and Tirek Austin Cave were ready to play a significant number of snaps but I doubt that is the case. They may have to anyway. I don't want to have to rely on Jennings and Steed to play the bulk of the snaps. They have the most experience but the injuries they endured were severe and Im not sure that either will ever be at the level they were before. Im pulling for them but I think that the most likely scenario will be for 5 or 6 to rotate throughout the game. A combination of Smith, Flagg, Jennings, Steed, Brooks and Huff. We desperately need a couple of LBs to emerge from Fall camp as the undisputed alphas of the group. I wouldn't hold my breath though. It would be potentially disastrous for the LB corps to not show any progress or development after an entire off-season. Especially coming off of the disgraceful and pitiful performance of last year.
Bingo!!! Spot on analysis.

For the life of me, why do so many on this Board herald the "exploits" of C. Flagg? I'm sorry, this kid maybe a student of the game but he does not possess the athletic ability of a " Miami LB." For that matter hardly any of our current LB's fit the prototype of a Miami LB. However, two current players fit the model: Brooks & Huff are both athletic freaks. Unfortunately, we don't have a LB coach that can squeeze any "juice" out of the players. This has been a failing of ours for several years.

C'mon Manny ...

Advertisement
I love the ideas around the return to a better rotation on the DL. Remember also going back to Manny days as coordinator he had a better time against the run, I think he only had one game as a coordinator giving up 200 yards with the Canes and then like 1-2 with Miss St and UT. So he traditionally is very good against the run.

I think the disconnect was between Baker and Stroud, two coaches now in different roles after UNC and 2020.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us do much better against Bamas run game now back in Manny’s D with Simpson and also a secondary coach that preaches activity in tackling like TROB.

"I think the disconnect was between Baker and Stroud, two coaches now in different roles after UNC and 2020."

This is something that I have considered as well. I believe Manny returning to DC plus the additions of Simpson and T. Rob will galvanize this defense and improve it across the board.

"I think the disconnect was between Baker and Stroud, two coaches now in different roles after UNC and 2020."

This is something that I have considered as well. I believe Manny returning to DC plus the additions of Simpson and T. Rob will galvanize this defense and improve it across the board.
Yeah I’ve heard Blake didn’t work well with the backers and his rotations sucked, and his methods on the line were different from Strouds so the kids were getting mixed messages.

That UNC performance was one of the worst coaching jobs I have ever seen. Phillips and Roche coming up field every play to be just taken out of the play and never adjusting. I think Simpson would have made those guys games a lot more complete and sound. Don’t get me wrong I love a freak end who can get to the QB but I also like one who plays fundamentally sound and has a feel for the game instead of just trying to wreak havoc every play by coming up field no matter where the play is going.

Advertisement
Saban will probably just keep it simple. The world saw what UNC did to us on the ground last year. Why put any pressure on his young QB? Off the rip, we will receive a heavy dose of ground & pound, quick short passes to RB’s, and screens. Offensively, they will test us up front and see if we can compete. Gotta pass that test first, or it could get ugly. That’s when he’ll open it up and let Bryce get loose. They would love to embarrass us on a National stage and put out any fires that we have created on the recruiting trail.
First half, we gotta get in the phone booth with these boys, lock up and bang it out. Prove we belong to be there. The longer we keep it close, the more pressure that young QB will feel. 🙌🏿
100% agree, bama will pound & pound till we stop the run. can the DE's set the edge ??. will the O line get any push upfront ??
we will be going up against the best S&C program in college football,,,, every time we play a top notch ball club we get "trucked" on both side of LOS
LSU, Clemson(2) Whisky (2) . also tough too see CMD in same zip code with N.Saban as prepping for big game.
huge test for CMD this entire year as he has it all set up..... i get a loss to Bama, however not NC at this point in time as we have
our best squad talent wise in many a year. 5-3 in Coastal will not get it done for CMD or B.James for that matter

Advertisement
Back