The def. scheme is designed for One player to make a tackle?

uncw305

Redshirt Freshman
What kind of nonsense is that? The scheme is set up so one player can make a tackle? So if that one player is out of position or can't get off a block you give up a 17-30 yard gain? This whole thing is outrageous.

Advertisement
couldnt agree more. infuriating to hear that. he has said it before also...when we played GT either last year or the year before and they scored like 36 unanswered against us. dorito said something along the same lines where if one guy misses his assignment it leads to explosive plays, which in that game meant like 50 yard gains haha. is our defense really that fragile that one missed tackle leads to minimum 15 yard gains? guy has to get a clue...

Interesting, since offensive schemes are often designed to get the ball carrier in a 1-on-1 situation so that they can make a tackler miss and break the play open.

Seems like our D is a prefect match for just about every offensive system out there, then.

Interesting, since offensive schemes are often designed to get the ball carrier in a 1-on-1 situation so that they can make a tackler miss and break the play open.

Seems like our D is a prefect match for just about every offensive system out there, then.

Came here to say this. Having a 1-on-1 with your offensive playmaker vs a defensive player is what most OC's try to do. I'm an Eagles fan so I've watched Chip Kelly set this up situation up every game he's coached in Philly.

What kind of nonsense is that? The scheme is set up so one player can make a tackle? So if that one player is out of position or can't get off a block you give up a 17-30 yard gain? This whole thing is outrageous.

Where did you hear or read this?

Advertisement
"It comes down to execution and trust in your training," D'Onofrio said. "I can promise you that every call that we make is designed to have somebody make a tackle, behind or at the line of scrimmage. I can promise you everyone of them is designed to do that. We wouldn’t want to change that if that was the design. We've got to get the players to execute better.

"As far as philosophically, we go into a game knowing what we want to stop, and you have to have a free player to stop the guy who has the ball. That’s not going to change. So, as long as that’s sound -- we've got to continue to work through the execution.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/

So he's saying if The play is designed for Amrbister to make the tackle and he is playing Outside backer on the left side and they run a sweep to the right that Ambrister is to be the guy who is still supposed to make the tackle?

Surely that's not the case but that is what it sounds like to me.

Whatever happened to the term "gang tackle" and "get as many hats to the ball as possible"

**** this ****!!!!!!!

We used to gang tackle.

Nine guys smashing whoever had the ball.

Now, one guy at a time is supposed to be perfect each time, every time. What BS.

"It comes down to execution and trust in your training," D'Onofrio said. "I can promise you that every call that we make is designed to have somebody make a tackle, behind or at the line of scrimmage. I can promise you everyone of them is designed to do that. We wouldn’t want to change that if that was the design. We've got to get the players to execute better.

"As far as philosophically, we go into a game knowing what we want to stop, and you have to have a free player to stop the guy who has the ball. That’s not going to change. So, as long as that’s sound -- we've got to continue to work through the execution.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/
I may have open up the door for ridicule..but i understand the concept...not to create a one player make the tackle scenario. ..but the one free man idea. One on One offense wins 8 out of 10 times. But Auburn and South Carolina runs the free man concept. Shaq's High School runs it also. The idea is to spill the tackle to the freeman.. what its suppose to do is close all possible running lanes or gaps and forces the ball to the defensive strength and the one free man. When it works its usally a tackle for a lost... but when it don't work keep the water cold cause the running backs are gonna run a mile and will need something to cool them off. I don't undrrstand how it works in a 3-4 .. but who am i. I think this scheme works better in HS because of the run to pass ratio. I know the DEs dont like it because it makes them a bit sacraficial... Mike Backers, Will Backer and Safeties love it because most of the tackles are spilled to them. Its risky really risky because if one cog in the scheme is off ... Big play for the O... Clowney hated the spill concept i remember Spurrier complaining in a post game interview that he was having difficulties getting his players to buy in on the concept... Scheme is really important.. adjustment is really important..but whats most important is getting your players on board with your idea and have them executed at 100 miles per hour..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back