The Davenport Role

canecrazy23

CIS GIF Champion 2021
Just a question but do you guys think we could put Guss in at FB and use him the way we used Davenport. I'm not sure how good Guss's hands are but he has speed and the moves to be pretty explosive.

Advertisement
Possibly but I think like Herndon in that role right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are people soo enamored with the freaking fb position?! I dont get it... Its an honest question

Like with the way football has evolved people we still get excited about the fb in the flats for a few yard gain and they throw a bone with the wheel route... Get that guy off the field, put kaaya in shotgun and spread out his weapons and let him do work. Guy has lit up fsu before and this fsu defense is terrible. You see what the spread carolina ran did to them, if they had a fb on field fsu would of shut that crap down.

Playing with a fb is gonna be letting that defense off the hook, spread them out and let kaaya do work

Advertisement
Why are people soo enamored with the freaking fb position?! I dont get it... Its an honest question

Like with the way football has evolved people we still get excited about the fb in the flats for a few yard gain and they throw a bone with the wheel route... Get that guy off the field, put kaaya in shotgun and spread out his weapons and let him do work. Guy has lit up fsu before and this fsu defense is terrible. You see what the spread carolina ran did to them, if they had a fb on field fsu would of shut that crap down.

Playing with a fb is gonna be letting that defense off the hook, spread them out and let kaaya do work

The fb can give you a mismatch versus a linebacker if you have an athletic guy. Quad hill was the last guy I remember being a weapon like that out of the backfield. Herndon had been that guy this year when they line him up in the back field.

I just look at it as an extra option and Davenport made me fall in love with position all over again. Kind of like when K. Byars played with Marino.

Do you watch NFL football games?

Not sure if this was directed at me as you didnt quote but I will answer as I have a couple thoughts on this, simple answer, yes I do, but...

What does NFL have anything to do with this? We are talking about college ball, winning college games, scoring and an exciting brand of football. College football has evolved and the way we get enamored with the fb will have us looking like GT fans in a bit. The game will pass us by. Even the whole nfl u thing that crept into program earlier last decade had a negative effect on program some. Its a great brand to recruit but its a very thin line as some guys do just enough to become late round picks, when the guys who built that brand worked hard to win games and became top picks.

Second, even if you look at NFL a quick google search will show FB is a dying position in league also. A third of teams dont even carry on their roster, No nfl team had a fullback on field higher than 50% of plays last year. NO NFL TEAM, NONE. Nfl has nothing to do with arguement, I dont even know what that is supposed to mean in this context of how it helps UM on the field.

The fb can give you a mismatch versus a linebacker if you have an athletic guy. Quad hill was the last guy I remember being a weapon like that out of the backfield. Herndon had been that guy this year when they line him up in the back field.

The problem is most of those guys if they are athletic will just play LB if they are thumper or be a rb. Ideal fb is what 6- 6'3, 230- 250lb? Those guys know the position is dying and they get moved to other positions. I think Quad hill is a little romanticized around these parts, his biggest help as 3rd down back was maybe as a blitz pickup guy. He really didnt make big plays out of the backfield which is my point. Get the fb off the dam field and give me a wr or even te who can make some plays. Herndonis definitely a weapon as a te, h-back type. He will be a good utility player who you can move around and give many different looks.

When you put a true fullback on field, DC and defense breath sigh of relief, they laugh when you send them to flats for a couple yard gains and gang tackle the **** of them. they love it.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Agree. Herndon is basically a power back once he catches the ball. Stood out to me more than ever yesterday. He's a more reliable mismatch than Njoku at this point, and a true H-Back.

Agree. Herndon is basically a power back once he catches the ball. Stood out to me more than ever yesterday. He's a more reliable mismatch than Njoku at this point, and a true H-Back.

And Herndon hasn't had any 30 yard penalties called on him yet this season.

Advertisement
Back