The Complete 2019 Quarterback Offer Breakdown

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
After a complete run through of all the 2019 quarterback offers, InSight recaps all the prospects and poses them in a head-to-head format. Spencer Rattler, Michael Johnson Jr, Graham Mertz, Sam Howell and Zamar Wise highlight this very talented group of gunslingers. So let’s call the play and break the huddle.

During this year’s breakdown segments, all the quarterbacks were subjected to six individual categories to include 1. Footwork 2. Rhythm 3. Accuracy 4. Arm Strength 5. (Arm) Mechanics 6. Mobility. These categories will once again provide the framework for the overall quarterback class breakdown.

Footwork: Spencer Rattler and Graham Mertz were the two quarterbacks who were ahead of the game in terms of proper footwork. You can instantly tell that these young men have a firm grip of the fundamentals and receive higher level coaching.

Rhythm: Spencer Rattler is uniquely in tune to the invisible rhythm cadence of the game. Rattler would repeatedly hit his back step and deliver balls while receivers were still in their breaks. Honorable Mention: Graham Mertz

Arm Strength: Zamar Wise and Spencer Rattler both charted beyond the 60-yard range on game film in terms of long distance. Rattler would get the nod ultimately in the intermediate game with straighter track projectory. Honorable Mention: Sam Howell

Accuracy: Spencer Rattler stole the dimes from my son’s piggy bank. Young man throws surgical darts. Honorable Mention: Graham Mertz and Michael Johnson Jr

Mechanics: Graham Mertz is a silky smooth deliverer of the football and does not have any hitches in his arm mechanics. Honorable Mention: Spencer Rattler has a release that will make a cheetah blush.

Mobility: Michael Johnson Jr is the definition of a dual threat. Johnson Jr not only can extend plays and evade rushers with ease, but he is a house call waiting to happen. He is an electrifying runner. Honorable Mention: Spencer Rattler

Roman Rank: Ultimately, I will make no secrets in touting “The Best Overall” quarterback of all the Miami offers this cycle is Rattler. Rattler has the most plug and play day one potential and has just a superb command of his ability. The only five star ranking of this cycle.

Mertz would get my “Pure Passer Award” and has the Aaron Rodgers like ability to extend outside the pocket and hit a big play down field. Mertz delivers an exquisitely pretty ball, which emanates from that pretty delivery system of his.

The “Most Dynamic Run Threat” is easily Johnson Jr. He presses pause, goes behind real life’s curtains and straps an invisible rocket on his back. A 4.4 forty-range runner with multiple long-range scores. You simply can never lose sight of this kid as a run threat if you are a defensive coordinator. You just can’t.

The “Most Upside Award” Johnson Jr. You can teach footwork. You can improve in your understanding of coverages in the film room. You just cannot teach Johnson Jr.’s athleticism at the position. He has all the tools necessary to blossom into a star at the next level. He just needs the time.

Final Rankings

• Spencer Rattler 5.0
  • Graham Mertz 4.4
  • Michael Johnson Jr. 4.2
  • Sam Howell 3.9
  • Zamar Wise 3.3

Last edited:
Advertisement
It seems like CMR has changed the type of QB that he targets. You would think from his Ga. experience he would be all over Metz but the priority is obviously in this cycle Johnson. This seems to be your choice also. How would you compare Johnson's measurable to the qb's we now have on the roster?

What would you rank Pho noodle soup?

He doesn't officially tout the offer so that is why I did not include him in the breakdown. However, I have Taisun currently at 4.25. That would have ranked him lower than Mertz and slightly ahead of MJJ at the moment.

As far as individual awards, I would have had him in the strongest arm category as well. He throws an impressive intermediate ball.

It seems like CMR has changed the type of QB that he targets. You would think from his Ga. experience he would be all over Metz but the priority is obviously in this cycle Johnson. This seems to be your choice also. How would you compare Johnson's measurable to the qb's we now have on the roster?

That is exactly the point. I am glad you notice it. In terms of the quarterbacks already in the room and on campus, MJJ is the one that contains IMO the most uniquely gifted skill set. He is a homerun threat runner. He is a good QB too.

Rattler is Rattler. But ultimately he is headed elsewhere at the moment.
Mertz is definitely offer worthy and has talent.
Taisun (not offered) is a good prospect but I do not really see any separation or uniqueness over Jarren or N'kosi.

MJJ is the one with the most upside of the offers and really brings something different that we don't currently have.

Advertisement
He doesn't officially tout the offer so that is why I did not include him in the breakdown. However, I have Taisun currently at 4.25. That would have ranked him lower than Mertz and slightly ahead of MJJ at the moment.

As far as individual awards, I would have had him in the strongest arm category as well. He throws an impressive intermediate ball.
Certain individuals roman are begging for you to be critical of tai. I unddrstand ur assesment when youre looking at potential & what youre hoping a player becomes. However youre taking a big leap in how far along you assume they develop as passers. If you asses them as passers now & what is clear & put it in context of what you need out of the posistion for the best possible results for your team to excel I'd question your breakdown. But thats just preference as im sure one or two people will point out. Ill take a pure passer too thats why mertz & the offense they run at his high school i have no debate out of. Athleticism at the qb posistion only takes you so far if not properly developed.just ask braxton,terrell,torrance gibson etc. They only take you so far as qbs before they eventually smarten up and become wrs as pros...

Certain individuals roman are begging for you to be critical of tai. I unddrstand ur assesment when youre looking at potential & what youre hoping a player becomes. However youre taking a big leap in how far along you assume they develop as passers. If you asses them as passers now & what is clear & put it in context of what you need out of the posistion for the best possible results for your team to excel I'd question your breakdown. But thats just preference as im sure one or two people will point out. Ill take a pure passer too thats why mertz & the offense they run at his high school i have no debate out of. Athleticism at the qb posistion only takes you so far if not properly developed.just ask braxton,terrell,torrance gibson etc. They only take you so far as qbs before they eventually smarten up and become wrs as pros...

One of these QB's went out and won Rivals Camp QB MVP 8 days ago. I heard Taisun had fun on Clemsons slide last week FWIW.

1) Certain individuals roman are begging for you to be critical of tai.

I unddrstand ur assesment when youre looking at potential & what youre hoping a player becomes. However youre taking a big leap in how far along you assume they develop as passers. If you asses them as passers now & what is clear & put it in context of what you need out of the posistion for the best possible results for your team to excel I'd question your breakdown. But thats just preference as im sure one or two people will point out.

2)Ill take a pure passer too
thats why mertz & the offense they run at his high school i have no debate out of. \

3) Athleticism at the qb posistion only takes you so far

if not properly developed.just ask braxton,terrell,torrance gibson etc. They only take you so far as qbs before they eventually smarten up and become wrs as pros...

1) yep. the angry young men all want you to say the kid isn't good because he's in a league filled with wealthy white kids. F*ck that. If the kid can play, he can play. Every person who has ever been involved with the sport knows how to discount for competition, (e.g., understanding how to account for certain inflated stats, lopsided victories or losses, etc.) But if some HS player runs like cam newton, throws like dan marino, and thinks like ken dorsey, it doesn't matter if the guy he's throwing to is named Tripp Pumpernickel, IV

2) agreed. at the end of the day, this isn't rugby. the guy taking snaps first and most importantly, is in that position to be the leader of the passing game. if he can't throw, then who cares if he runs like gale sayers. he's no good in that spot.

3) spot on. see no. 2 above. if athleticism was the determining factor, kordell stewart and akili smith would be in the hall of fame. .......... news flash: they're not

Advertisement

I'm trying to follow the whole context of what you are saying but I will try to address this in parts.

Tai is a very good prospect in my eyes. He has some really big pop on his arm, (especially in the intermediate game, Think it is a technique thing in terms of long distance) good athleticism, I honestly think Miami should offer him and would be happy if they wanted him to be the guy. I will not slander Tai, He is a really good player.

MJJ is not as good of a passer as Tai right now in my eyes but the mechanical side of things that MJJ does are correctable. Footwork mainly. I have seen Malik in spring really improve from one year to the next. (Is Malik perfect at it? no. But after spring 2 years ago till now he went from no chance to serviceable in that area) I no doubt have watched MJJ more over than other because I know he is garnishing the most interest. So there is more dissection here than some.

Pure passers we established both Mertz and Rattler as the benchmark. I wanted to be pretty clear on that in the overall breakdown. I think those two are better than both MJJ and Tai.

But here is where I landed after much consideration and tell me your opinion. I like Tai. I really do. But in terms of what Miami has on the roster, I really like Jarren in terms or mechanics and reading defenses and the work he put in from jr year to senior year was intense. That kid showed HUGE improvement and I like him above Tai in those areas.

In terms of arm I still give the nod to N'kosi over Tai so I wouldn't say Tai would be the strongest arm on the team. All 3 IMO are very similar in terms of mobility index. All guys running in the late 4 range (on paper) Some better than other sure, but close.

So that is where I say I understand the MJJ offer. No assumptions. I said the kid needs "time." That is clear. I rate others ahead of him. That is also clear. But what MJJ does that no one in this group can, or in our current qb room, is essentially hijack a game with his running ability. And when you look at the quarterback room as a whole, I think MJJ isn't going to be counted on to start day 1, and could potentially blossom into a really dynamic player.

One of these QB's went out and won Rivals Camp QB MVP 8 days ago. I heard Taisun had fun on Clemsons slide last week FWIW.
People like you whove never played football that mattered past the time you were 10 years old and 75 lbs are the only ones impressed by a kid winning a regional rivals camp in shirts & shorts... thats called flag football without a pass rush & its played by old fat fvcks & women... carry on. By the way while hes having fun on slides hes also about to commit to them or fspew but i guess you say there qb evals are worse than ours. Clearly dont know what theyre talking about compared to lil richt. You are the same person who talks about tais comp level like its worse than the other spots. Meanwhile ask jobe who got torched on 3 seperate occasions by tai last year. Naturally youll say thats irrelevant cause its not a OFFICIAL GAME. Meanwhile you keep bringing up flag football results. Ok. Goodbye now.

People like you whove never played football that mattered past the time you were 10 years old and 75 lbs are the only ones impressed by a kid winning a regional rivals camp in shirts & shorts... thats called flag football without a pass rush & its played by old fat fvcks & women... carry on. By the way while hes having fun on slides hes also about to commit to them or fspew but i guess you say there qb evals are worse than ours. Clearly dont know what theyre talking about compared to lil richt. You are the same person who talks about tais comp level like its worse than the other spots. Meanwhile ask jobe who got torched on 3 seperate occasions by tai last year. Naturally youll say thats irrelevant cause its not a OFFICIAL GAME. Meanwhile you keep bringing up flag football results. Ok. Goodbye now.

If you want to make excuses for him dodging competition all spring while nearly every other top 20 QB is out competing against the best and improving themselves then go right ahead. You talk **** about 7 on 7 football and pass rushes but Tai is out there facing 175lb "dlineman" who couldn't break through hymen much less pressure a QB. He's still playing pop warner as the token athletic kid who by all measurements isn't even a great athlete at the next level.

I played HS ball on a ****** team in a smallish town with 2-3 D1 kids who's claim to fame was playing the #4 team in the nation and only getting beaten by 4 scores lol. . Of course they stood out and had every uncle in the stands fawning over them. But when they made it to college they were just another above average athlete in a sea of talent. I know MJJR is out working his *** off. I have yet to hear that Tai will compete for anything but "i completed 3 passes on Jobe trophies". You know , the 20 year CB who can't read a Dr. Seuss much less QB's 25% younger than him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm trying to follow the whole context of what you are saying but I will try to address this in parts.

Tai is a very good prospect in my eyes. He has some really big pop on his arm, (especially in the intermediate game, Think it is a technique thing in terms of long distance) good athleticism, I honestly think Miami should offer him and would be happy if they wanted him to be the guy. I will not slander Tai, He is a really good player.

MJJ is not as good of a passer as Tai right now in my eyes but the mechanical side of things that MJJ does are correctable. Footwork mainly. I have seen Malik in spring really improve from one year to the next. (Is Malik perfect at it? no. But after spring 2 years ago till now he went from no chance to serviceable in that area) I no doubt have watched MJJ more over than other because I know he is garnishing the most interest. So there is more dissection here than some.

Pure passers we established both Mertz and Rattler as the benchmark. I wanted to be pretty clear on that in the overall breakdown. I think those two are better than both MJJ and Tai.

But here is where I landed after much consideration and tell me your opinion. I like Tai. I really do. But in terms of what Miami has on the roster, I really like Jarren in terms or mechanics and reading defenses and the work he put in from jr year to senior year was intense. That kid showed HUGE improvement and I like him above Tai in those areas.

In terms of arm I still give the nod to N'kosi over Tai so I wouldn't say Tai would be the strongest arm on the team. All 3 IMO are very similar in terms of mobility index. All guys running in the late 4 range (on paper) Some better than other sure, but close.

So that is where I say I understand the MJJ offer. No assumptions. I said the kid needs "time." That is clear. I rate others ahead of him. That is also clear. But what MJJ does that no one in this group can, or in our current qb room, is essentially hijack a game with his running ability. And when you look at the quarterback room as a whole, I think MJJ isn't going to be counted on to start day 1, and could potentially blossom into a really dynamic player.
No debate essentially in any of that. Kosi & tai arms are basically the same. Both kosi & tai are running late 4.6s while jarren is mid 4.8 where tai seperates for me is he has jarrens work ethic & will to succeed but is ten times more physical than anything we have. I think you're really selling him short on his athleticism & running ability. Personally i know every kid were discussing between jarren,kosi,malik & tai. Hes got jarrens precision too to go along with the fact hes still growing. Thats great that mike is so athletic. Thats why 100% hes a take. But hes a kid who in my eyes we should be telling youll get your shot at qb. If it doesnt work out youre switching to wr where youre gonna be a all american. I have no doubt bout his football playing abilities. That doesnt necessarily equate to that qb position though. When do you see mjj playing qb? Do you really think hed happily sit the bench until he develops as a QB &
If you want to make excuses for him dodging competition all spring while nearly every other top 20 QB is out competing against the best and improving themselves then go right ahead. Congrats on torching a 20 year old flunkie CB who couldn't write a book report on Dr. Seuss and has minimal skills reading QB's 25% younger than him. You talk **** about 7 on 7 football and pass rushes but Tai is out there facing 175lb "dlineman" who couldn't break through hymen much less pressure a QB. He's still playing pop warner as the token athletic kid who by all measurements isn't even a great athlete at the next level.
As usual a not too well thought out comment out of you. For you to comprehend,tai did all that last season & won three of those same camp mvps then. Hed tell you himself how irrelevant it is though so no need to bring up. While these kids are going to camps throughout the offseason hes working with pros to develop hia game. Cam is training him & no one else right this moment. But i guess thats not relevant either. I understand this is your highlight of the day but its become played out to me. Its no longer about you having issue with me. Now you try & take issue personally with a child you know jack **** about. Whos a great kid. Personally i find that lame so im done with going back & forth with you. Enjoy the personal attacks & the rest for whatever it does for you. Good luck in life & god bless. Bye now.

No debate essentially in any of that. Kosi & tai arms are basically the same. Both kosi & tai are running late 4.6s while jarren is mid 4.8 where tai seperates for me is he has jarrens work ethic & will to succeed but is ten times more physical than anything we have. I think you're really selling him short on his athleticism & running ability. Personally i know every kid were discussing between jarren,kosi,malik & tai. Hes got jarrens precision too to go along with the fact hes still growing. Thats great that mike is so athletic. Thats why 100% hes a take. But hes a kid who in my eyes we should be telling youll get your shot at qb. If it doesnt work out youre switching to wr where youre gonna be a all american. I have no doubt bout his football playing abilities. That doesnt necessarily equate to that qb position though. When do you see mjj playing qb? Do you really think hed happily sit the bench until he develops as a QB &

As usual a not too well thought out comment out of you. For you to comprehend,tai did all that last season & won three of those same camp mvps then. Hed tell you himself how irrelevant it is though so no need to bring up. While these kids are going to camps throughout the offseason hes working with pros to develop hia game. Cam is training him & no one else right this moment. But i guess thats not relevant either. I understand this is your highlight of the day but its become played out to me. Its no longer about you having issue with me. Now you try & take issue personally with a child you know jack **** about. Whos a great kid. Personally i find that lame so im done with going back & forth with you. Enjoy the personal attacks & the rest for whatever it does for you. Good luck in life & god bless. Bye now.

Google results turn up nothing for Tai MVP in any camp much less 3.

I'm assuming you're referencing Cam Newton, which all results point to Tai saying he watches cam newton videos. No mention of training.

Let's see some links to back up these claims. I don't want this to turn into another failed Taron Vincent, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy, Jon Richt Jr thread for you.

You've also said Tai had offers from IMG and several other private schools to play, again, It just seems like he's avoiding competition. He's traveling all over visiting schools , he has the means.

Advertisement
Back