The close

Advertisement
We need to recruit OL at TROB LEVEL.

OL is incredibly hard to evaluate. Yes you have an occasional slam dunk 5 star like Leatherwood, but how how many Miami fans expected 2 star Zion Nelson to turn into a 1st rounder? (and Bar Milo was a 4 star!) For every other position other than OL, I think stars are a decent snapshot of ability and potential. For OL, I think you just need to wait and see if the OL coach knows how to spot and develop talent and not pay too much attention to the star rating. This isn't giving Justice a pass, I just think we need to see if he has an eye for quality.

We are loaded at LB.
Robot Reaction GIF

Here is who we have for 2022:

Brooks
Flagg
Tyler Johnson
Huff
Cave
Keontra Smith
Troutman
Medlock

Plus Steed and Jennings still have eligibility to return. That's already 8-10 kids for 2 spots. We dont technically need any more.

But look at the potentially dangerous situations at DT and DE and DB.

We could realistically return only 5 DTs for 2 starting spots (Ford is a senior and Nesta will have graduated).
We could realistically return only 5 DEs for 2 starting spots (McCloud and Johnson are seniors).
We could realistically return only 4 safeties for 2 starting spots (Hall and Bolden will have graduated).
We could realistically return only 2 strikers for 1 starting spot (Carter is a senior and Frierson will have graduated)
We could realistically return only 3 CBs for 2 starting spots (Ivey and Blades will have graduated, Stevenson is likely going pro with a good season and Curtis is a WR candidate).

LB isnt a need, this forum is obsessed with this position for some reason. We have far bigger needs at much more important positions in our defense than LB, it's the most loaded unit on the team.
You are confusing Quantity with Quality.

OL is incredibly hard to evaluate. Yes you have an occasional slam dunk 5 star like Leatherwood, but how how many Miami fans expected 2 star Zion Nelson to turn into a 1st rounder? (and Bar Milo was a 4 star!) For every other position other than OL, I think stars are a decent snapshot of ability and potential. For OL, I think you just need to wait and see if the OL coach knows how to spot and develop talent and not pay too much attention to the star rating. This isn't giving Justice a pass, I just think we need to see if he has an eye for quality.
The answer to the Zion question is zero. This board was shredding that kid and the coaching staff when he signed (myself included).

But you’re absolutely right about OL being hard to project. IMO it’s because it generally takes longer than 17-18 years to develop the type of body it takes to play OL, especially tackle, at a high level. Some kids, like Zion, are only 225 when they are seniors in high school. And the ones that have size at an early age and are twitchy generally end up on the DL

Advertisement
Here is who we have for 2022:

Brooks
Flagg
Tyler Johnson
Huff
Cave
Keontra Smith
Troutman
Medlock

Plus Steed and Jennings still have eligibility to return. That's already 8-10 kids for 2 spots. We dont technically need any more.

But look at the potentially dangerous situations at DT and DE and DB.

We could realistically return only 5 DTs for 2 starting spots (Ford is a senior and Nesta will have graduated).
We could realistically return only 5 DEs for 2 starting spots (McCloud and Johnson are seniors).
We could realistically return only 4 safeties for 2 starting spots (Hall and Bolden will have graduated).
We could realistically return only 2 strikers for 1 starting spot (Carter is a senior and Frierson will have graduated)
We could realistically return only 3 CBs for 2 starting spots (Ivey and Blades will have graduated, Stevenson is likely going pro with a good season and Curtis is a WR candidate).

LB isnt a need, this forum is obsessed with this position for some reason. We have far bigger needs at much more important positions in our defense than LB, it's the most loaded unit on the team.
Don’t confuse loaded with bodies with effectiveness. It is admittingly the least effective of the defensive position groups.

This is it for me, I think 1-2 OL is interchangeable for one for 1-2 DL depending on how it all shakes out.

QB (1):
  • Jacurri Brown 4* ✅
RB (0)

WR (2-3):
  • Isaiah Horton 4* ✅
  • Landon Ibieta 3* ✅
TE: (1):
  • Jaleel Skinner 4*
OL (3-4):
  • Malik Agbo 4*
  • Jacob Hood 3*
  • Falentha Carswell 3* ✅
  • Bradley Mann 3*
DE (2-3):
  • Shemar Stewart 5*
  • Nyjalik Kelly 4*
DT (1-2):
  • Anthony Lucas 4*
LB (2):
  • Wesley Bissianthe 4*
  • Justin Medlock 3* ✅
Striker
  • ??
CB (3-4):
  • Jaheim Singletary 5*
  • Khamauri Rogers 4* ✅
  • Trequan Fegans 4* ✅
  • Chris Graves 4* ✅
S (2):
  • Kamari Wilson 5*
  • Markeith Williams 4* ✅
Love this list, like @grover I would swap 1 OL for a DT because we took Justice as one of the OL for this class.

Yes, but who on that list is proven? Keontra is the only one I have strong confidence in. Even he's a projection. After that, I think Cave will get there. But Huff hasn't done anything, Brooks is always injured, Flagg's performance last year was among the worst in all P5 football (yes, he may take a big step as a Sophomore but it's an unknown and he's physically limited), Jennings even worse than Flagg's. As much as I absolutely love Steed and his father who is an active poster here, Steed needs to prove he's both back from injury and good enough to be All ACC level.

After that you have the two true freshmen. Tyler Johnson has been hyped up a lot on here. But he's only played DE/Rush LB, not a true LB, so who knows how he develops. Our record with those types is 0-for-10,000. Troutman I like but not sure he's got the wheels either.

Athletically, the only guys I know are Miami caliber LBs are Keontra and Cave. All the rest are reaches or never played the position. Even Huff didn't really play LB at STA, IIRC. The position group is a hot mess.
Agreed although if iirc Huff played mostly LB at MAC before transferring to STA for his senior year where he played S/LB and even DE.

Advertisement
The most important and under appreciated thing Manny has done is finally bring prestige back to a university of Miami football scholarship offer.

No more steppingstone, no more bigger better dealing, no more commit roulette.

We probably have less than 10 spots left. I don’t care if they’re a four-star, five star or project, whoever is thinking about playing here knows they can’t play games.

We’ll finish strong imo.
He has learned and adapted as a HC especially in the recruiting game. Seems like he starting to understand what us mopes noticed. I'm glad he reads the boards. Gg Manny

Where is the quote from? I dont consider Gibson or Bissainthe must haves at all. We are loaded at WR and LB. Even Skinner isnt a must have, we are returning 4 TEs and we can always get one from the portal.

I'm all about roster balance. This is what we truly need to close on:

QB - done
RB - done (we might need a rotational backup guy so if a high floor guys pops up late in the cycle i would be ok, or we could just get one from the portal)
WR - done
TE - done (see above)
OT - Agbo
OG - Snoop

DT - Lucas, Hastings
DE - Kelly, Stewart
LB - done
CB - Singletary, Henderson
Safety/Striker - Henderson, Cull

And a punter of course.
This gotta be troll or sarcasm

There is a difference between linebacker position being loaded or full. Use the right words cause loaded means high level 1st potential guys at the position

This gotta be troll or sarcasm

Not trolling or sarcasm. Our depth at DE, DT and safety is alarming unless we unexpectedly luck out with kids like Hall and Silvera actually wanting to come back. Roster balance is important. We've got enough depth at LB right now, experienced depth, and we still havent seen what Smith, Troutman, Johnson and Medlock can do in 2022. LB will go 8-10 deep for two spots in 2022, how many more bodies are we gonna throw at this unit?

Meanwhile, those other units cant even field a 3 deep for 2022. Our priorities are NOT at LB.

Advertisement
This is it for me, I think 1-2 OL are interchangeable for one for 1-2 DL depending on how it all shakes out.

QB (1):
  • Jacurri Brown 4* ✅
RB (0)

WR (2-3):
  • Isaiah Horton 4* ✅
  • Landon Ibieta 3* ✅
TE: (1):
  • Jaleel Skinner 4*
OL (3-4):
  • Malik Agbo 4*
  • Jacob Hood 3*
  • Falentha Carswell 3* ✅
  • Bradley Mann 3*
DE (2-3):
  • Shemar Stewart 5*
  • Nyjalik Kelly 4*
DT (1-2):
  • Anthony Lucas 4*
LB (2):
  • Wesley Bissianthe 4*
  • Justin Medlock 3* ✅
Striker
  • ??
CB (3-4):
  • Jaheim Singletary 5*
  • Khamauri Rogers 4* ✅
  • Trequan Fegans 4* ✅
  • Chris Graves 4* ✅
S (2):
  • Kamari Wilson 5*
  • Markeith Williams 4* ✅
This is almost exactly what my board looks like. Like you said I think 1-2 OL could be used for the DL. I have Lucas and Hastings at DT with Stewart, Kelly plus 1 more at DE since I believe Stewart could be a 3tech here. Ideally I would want 3 DE and 3 DT this class but the numbers wont support that so 4-5 this year concentrating on the highest quality possible then attack the DL in 23.

At LB Bissainthe is absolutely a must get. Number of bodies at the position means nothing if they cant play. Bissainthe changes that position immediately.

At CB and Safety we are recruiting as well as anyone in the nation so it goes without saying that we go all out for 5* CB Jaheim Singletary and 5* Safety Kamari Wilson. Both are attainable but they will require us to go all out until the very end. If we do not get either the Henderson twins would make the most sense.

As much as Iove Nick Cull as a prospect Im not sure we can afford to use a scholarship on a Striker with Frierson, Chase Smith and quite possibly Jalen Harrell joining that group we can wait until 23.

I personally believe that we are fine at WR with Horton and Ibieta as we have built a very good amount of depth at the position. Now if Gibson wants in and we have the numbers then take the kid. WR with his size and skill don't come around everyday.

At TE its very simple to me. Skinner or nothing. Getting Skinner would be a luxury we cant pass up but TE isn't a necessity in this class and we can certainly wait for the 23 class or portal.

Almost forgot to mention the OL. Ideally I would like 2 more to go with Carswell. Agbo and 1 more. We may however end up adding only 1 more to Carswell for a total of 2. If you want to count the Las Vegas portal OL to this class then it would 3. It just all depends on how the numbers shake out.

Stewart Kelly skinner Wesley Hastings are must gets. And attainable. Lucas will be a hard pull. I think he likes us but we are in now way top dog in that recruitment.
I don’t view Skinner as a must get. Would be a great get but why is he a must get? We got two great ends in 21 class

You've got 65 porsts and I'd bet 3/4 of them mention LBs. And it's the forum that is obsessed? Interesting.
😆

All good, Ibis. Brad has had his chops busted a lot lately. But that spreadsheet wasn't as far off as people think. Go back and take a look. I think he was in the ballpark.
facts. will be interesting to go back to it in December

Advertisement
We have had terrible results with high rated OL recently. Herbert and Campbell have not shown up so far. For us to get to the next level since we started fixing the DB position, the next thing needed to be fixed is the OL recruiting and performance and then the LB position imo. Those areas are the two where we have big questions going forward. Wesley, Armella etc are players i want here more than any other. Devon Jackson as well, I like his physical stature.

portal
We have had terrible results with high rated OL recently. Herbert and Campbell have not shown up so far. For us to get to the next level since we started fixing the DB position, the next thing needed to be fixed is the OL recruiting and performance and then the LB position imo. Those areas are the two where we have big questions going forward. Wesley, Armella etc are players i want here more than any other. Devon Jackson as well, I like his physical stature.
portal

Signing 2 OL with one of them being a basketball player who has barely played any football would be an absolute failure.

Where is the quote from? I dont consider Gibson or Bissainthe must haves at all. We are loaded at WR and LB. Even Skinner isnt a must have, we are returning 4 TEs and we can always get one from the portal.

I'm all about roster balance. This is what we truly need to close on:

QB - done
RB - done (we might need a rotational backup guy so if a high floor guys pops up late in the cycle i would be ok, or we could just get one from the portal)
WR - done
TE - done (see above)
OT - Agbo
OG - Snoop

DT - Lucas, Hastings
DE - Kelly, Stewart
LB - done
CB - Singletary, Henderson
Safety/Striker - Henderson, Cull

And a punter of course.
Loaded at LBer and Done recruiting LBers ????check that sheet your looking at cause you have some other teams roster on it..

Advertisement
Back