Brooks
Flagg
Tyler Johnson
Huff
Cave
Keontra Smith
Troutman
Medlock

Plus Steed and Jennings still have eligibility to return. That's already 8-10 kids for 2 spots. We dont technically need any more.

But look at the potentially dangerous situations at DT and DE and DB.

We could realistically return only 5 DTs for 2 starting spots (Ford is a senior and Nesta will have graduated).
We could realistically return only 5 DEs for 2 starting spots (McCloud and Johnson are seniors).
We could realistically return only 4 safeties for 2 starting spots (Hall and Bolden will have graduated).
We could realistically return only 2 strikers for 1 starting spot (Carter is a senior and Frierson will have graduated)
We could realistically return only 3 CBs for 2 starting spots (Ivey and Blades will have graduated, Stevenson is likely going pro with a good season and Curtis is a WR candidate).

LB isnt a need, this forum is obsessed with this position for some reason. We have far bigger needs at much more important positions in our defense than LB, it's the most loaded unit on the team.

Yes, but who on that list is proven? Keontra is the only one I have strong confidence in. Even he's a projection. After that, I think Cave will get there. But Huff hasn't done anything, Brooks is always injured, Flagg's performance last year was among the worst in all P5 football (yes, he may take a big step as a Sophomore but it's an unknown and he's physically limited), Jennings even worse than Flagg's. As much as I absolutely love Steed and his father who is an active poster here, Steed needs to prove he's both back from injury and good enough to be All ACC level.

After that you have the two true freshmen. Tyler Johnson has been hyped up a lot on here. But he's only played DE/Rush LB, not a true LB, so who knows how he develops. Our record with those types is 0-for-10,000. Troutman I like but not sure he's got the wheels either.

Athletically, the only guys I know are Miami caliber LBs are Keontra and Cave. All the rest are reaches or never played the position. Even Huff didn't really play LB at STA, IIRC. The position group is a hot mess.

Advertisement
Yes, but who on that list is proven? Keontra is the only one I have strong confidence in. Even he's a projection. After that, I think Cave will get there. But Huff hasn't done anything, Brooks is always injured, Flagg's performance last year was among the worst in all P5 football (yes, he may take a big step as a Sophomore but it's an unknown and he's physically limited), Jennings even worse than Flagg's. As much as I absolutely love Steed and his father who is an active poster here, Steed needs to prove he's both back from injury and good enough to be All ACC level.

After that you have the two true freshmen. Tyler Johnson has been hyped up a lot on here. But he's only played DE/Rush LB, not a true LB, so who knows how he develops. Our record with those types is 0-for-10,000. Troutman I like but not sure he's got the wheels either.

Athletically, the only guys I know are Miami caliber LBs are Keontra and Cave. All the rest are reaches or never played the position. Even Huff didn't really play LB at STA, IIRC. The position group is a hot mess.
100% agreed. Just because you have bodies doesn't mean you're in good shape. This position group is a mix of undersized, injury prone, converted position players. We don't have one LB on the roster who would make any all ACC teams. Recruiting at this position has lagged behind the rest of the team.

I'm excited to see Keontra at LB, I understand the size concerns but he's at his best around the line of scrimmage

What Grover said... Would rather have a couple blue chips and have some attrition, may the best man win!

Advertisement

Thank you, cause I was about to GO IN.

LB isnt a need, this forum is obsessed with this position for some reason. We have far bigger needs at much more important positions in our defense than LB, it's the most loaded unit on the team.
Confused Little Girl GIF

The reason we're "obsessed" is because there's this thing called "tackling" that the defense is called upon to do and LBs need to do a lot of it.

"Most loaded position"? None of the guys on our roster have shown an ability to read / react and take down the ball carrier - especially on running plays.

When safeties are leading the team in tackles, there's a problem.

Advertisement
Here is who we have for 2022:

Brooks
Flagg
Tyler Johnson
Huff
Cave
Keontra Smith
Troutman
Medlock

Plus Steed and Jennings still have eligibility to return. That's already 8-10 kids for 2 spots. We dont technically need any more.

We could realistically return only 5 DTs for 2 starting spots (Ford is a senior and Nesta will have graduated).
We could realistically return only 5 DEs for 2 starting spots (McCloud and Johnson are seniors).
We could realistically return only 4 safeties for 2 starting spots (Hall and Bolden will have graduated).
We could realistically return only 2 strikers for 1 starting spot (Carter is a senior and Frierson will have graduated)
We could realistically return only 3 CBs for 2 starting spots (Ivey and Blades will have graduated, Stevenson is likely going pro with a good season and Curtis is a WR candidate).

All you keep doing is counting bodies and saying all is good. Wesley changes the LB room. We need talent like that here

Advertisement
Where is the quote from? I dont consider Gibson or Bissainthe must haves at all. We are loaded at WR and LB. Even Skinner isnt a must have, we are returning 4 TEs and we can always get one from the portal.

I'm all about roster balance. This is what we truly need to close on:

QB - done
RB - done (we might need a rotational backup guy so if a high floor guys pops up late in the cycle i would be ok, or we could just get one from the portal)
WR - done
TE - done (see above)
OT - Agbo
OG - Snoop

DT - Lucas, Hastings
DE - Kelly, Stewart
LB - done
CB - Singletary, Henderson
Safety/Striker - Henderson, Cull

And a punter of course.
WHAT? YoU aRE TriPPiNg

@RJ Lee , you post a thread that has 80% good info then say something like done at LB that blows the whole thread up. Why do you do that, lol?

Was hoping @bradtejeda would weigh in on the board. But since he's gone AWOL, here's how I'd rank the most important recruits publicly still on the being pursued:

Lucas
Kelly
Stewart
Bissainthe or equivalent at LB
Agbo or equivalent at OL
Singletary
Skinner at TE
Wilson
Tarber (yeah, I know coaches have Hastings over Tarber, but I think that's a mistake, would take Hastings only if we strike out on Lucas)
1 more quality OL (TBD)

That's 10, and the way NY and Cribby are talking, that's probably more than we're taking. So if we get the above, I don't see a spot for the Hendersons, Cull, Allen, Jackson or other DTs. I definitely don't see a spot for an HBack or RB, or a HS punter.
You did the same by asking Brad’s opinion….

Advertisement
Here is who we have for 2022:

Brooks
Flagg
Tyler Johnson
Huff
Cave
Keontra Smith
Troutman
Medlock

You've got 65 porsts and I'd bet 3/4 of them mention LBs. And it's the forum that is obsessed? Interesting.

Did I, lol? Apologies if so. What beef is there with Brad? I must have missed it. Thought his board was too optimistic, but at least seemed informed.
Just busting both your chops. Brad is good stuff. I was referencing some thread he had with a graph or spreadsheet people pick on him for. All in good fun man!

Just busting both your chops. Brad is good stuff. I was referencing some thread he had with a graph or spreadsheet people pick on him for. All in good fun man!

All good, Ibis. Brad has had his chops busted a lot lately. But that spreadsheet wasn't as far off as people think. Go back and take a look. I think he was in the ballpark.

Advertisement
Back