The CIS Portal WR Begging… Is it finally over yet?

Advertisement
There’s two hyper-reactionary answers...

Homer Answer: “Because they’re all just a bunch of JAGS & we got a roster full of Bilentinkoff candidates already, we don’t need any WR’s, bro!”

Moper Answer: “Because our Offense is gonna suck & we’re gonna be running the ball over 60% of time..”

The truth is somewhere in the middle lol
What about the OGH answer: We have good enough talent on offense to blow out corstal teams, but we will probably run it 60% of the time anyway.

Advertisement
We have 1 WR on our roster with more than 30 catches...

Every single team with a better offense than us is still actively & aggressively adding more talent at WR, Miami isn’t a special case where we can value judge Portal WR’s as if we’re playing with house money.

Canes fans mostly view things from a Homer perspective, so of course everybody is overrated as soon as we don’t get’em, but if the staff is & has been looking for a WR for months now it pretty much indicates they want another piece as well.

But, sometimes learning the hard way is the best way, so for yalls sake I hope Homerism wins out this time.
Let me make one more “Homer” argument. I loved Rambo last year but according to the NFL, he really wasn‘t special at all. So is it possible that the NFL is right about Rambo and TVD made him look a lot better than he really was? TVD certainly made Harley look pretty **** good.

‘My point being that like some others on here have commented, maybe the QB is making the WRs instead of the other way around. And if the QB made Rambo and Harley into record breaking receivers, maybe he will make the current crop look better than they really are. If that is correct, then that allows UM to de-value the WR position for next year from An NIL perspective and focus funds elsewhere.

Like you I was disappointed with how the WR’s looked in the spring game. Smith and Ladson dropping passes, George reaching up with only one hand. And Mario was clearly disappointed. And we know he wants to being in more talent at WR for next year. So my answer for why we did not do so thus far thru the transfer portal is that I don’t think our staff saw the value in who was available AND I beleive the staff thinks that with TVD, the TEs and RB’s, we will be OK for this season.

in the end, I am not trying to be a homer as much as I am trying to find a rational answer for UM not bringing in a portal WR.

He did. That's why I don't take most of what he says serious.

F3DE56CC-E5E4-420C-AA7B-76C7D96DED33.jpeg

Problem is none of our WRs are proven, were just projecting one or two will be impact WRs. It's very possible that none of them will become that and we have nothing but a bunch of WR3s who struggle to consistently get open. The only WR I have seen From last year that gets solid consistent separation is X

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’m surprised we’re having a hard time getting a WR or 2. I understand that they don’t want to pay Addison, and he also may just not want to come here, but I don’t understand not being able to land a guy a level or 2 down with TVD here.

I understand that there is negative recruiting as well about us being a ground and pound offense but some of that is coming from teams who aren’t exactly air raid. I’m afraid to ask but - What do you think it is?

I would point out that we DID get a Portal WR, though we didn't get 2. People tend to forget about Ladson because he enrolled in January.

I've been watching UM WRs step up for 35 years. Guys who were riding the pine one year are winning games the next year. I don't think everyone on our current roster has bad hands, I think some of these guys need to spend 10,000 hours with the JUGS machine this summer.

If people think we have to replace Rambo and Harley with 2 transfers, that is a fair opinion. I just think that if we have Ladson, solid play from the TEs and RBs, and improvement from our current WRs, we should be fine.

I'd like to have a second Portal WR, just not sure that we'll get one. We needed-needed-needed defensive linemen, though, and we got some.

No arguments, just observations.

Let me make one more “Homer” argument. I loved Rambo last year but according to the NFL, he really wasn‘t special at all. So is it possible that the NFL is right about Rambo and TVD made him look a lot better than he really was? TVD certainly made Harley look pretty **** good.

‘My point being that like some others on here have commented, maybe the QB is making the WRs instead of the other way around. And if the QB made Rambo and Harley into record breaking receivers, maybe he will make the current crop look better than they really are. If that is correct, then that allows UM to de-value the WR position for next year from An NIL perspective and focus funds elsewhere.

Like you I was disappointed with how the WR’s looked in the spring game. Smith and Ladson dropping passes, George reaching up with only one hand. And Mario was clearly disappointed. And we know he wants to being in more talent at WR for next year. So my answer for why we did not do so thus far thru the transfer portal is that I don’t think our staff saw the value in who was available AND I beleive the staff thinks that with TVD, the TEs and RB’s, we will be OK for this season.

in the end, I am not trying to be a homer as much as I am trying to find a rational answer for UM not bringing in a portal WR.
Th Rambo/Harley argument would be more valid if we were still running the same offense, but we’re not.

They offered 3 WR’s this Spring from the Portal, Antwane Wells, Jacob Cowing & Jaylon Robinson, as well as tested the waters behind the scenes with several other prospects making offers...

The rational answer is, they swung & miss. Why? There could be several factors, but simply they attempted to land another WR & weren’t able to.

Now, what fans will do is what Krazy & most are doing now, justifying & spinning so as to lessen what potential impact not bringing in a surefire playmaker would have on the offense, by buying high on the current unproven players on the roster. By all means, they very well could play well above their means & prove to be more than good enough for us not to need another WR & none of us know exactly how everything will play out, we’ll all find out at the same time how they perform.

But what’s certain is that the majority of good teams took the same approach to Portal WR’s this offseason; maybe Miami is a shining city on a hill & exceptional to most other teams, but we’ll see...

Th Rambo/Harley argument would be more valid if we were still running the same offense, but we’re not.

They offered 3 WR’s this Spring from the Portal, Antwane Wells, Jacob Cowing & Jaylon Robinson, as well as tested the waters behind the scenes with several other prospects making offers...

The rational answer is, they swung & miss. Why? There could be several factors, but simply they attempted to land another WR & weren’t able to.

Now, what fans will do is what Krazy & most are doing now, justifying & spinning so as to lessen what potential impact not bringing in a surefire playmaker would have on the offense, by buying high on the current unproven players on the roster. By all means, they very well could play well above their means & prove to be more than good enough for us not to need another WR & none of us know exactly how everything will play out, we’ll all find out at the same time how they perform.

But what’s certain is that the majority of good teams took the same approach to Portal WR’s this offseason; maybe Miami is a shining city on a hill & exceptional to most other teams, but we’ll see...
It’s probably as has been mentioned by a few- we’re getting negative recruited against on the QB and WR side and right now we don’t have an answer… not until they see the offense in games. That not going to help us in this portal.

Now on the flip side, we should be able to get some stud TE’s and trench players.

Advertisement
When Rambo transferred in last year, most were meh, he didn’t do much st OK. All he did was break some records. Harley stepped up as a senior and broke some records. Granted, it was in Lashlee’s offense with TVD slinging it but we really didn’t have a WR that could take the top off an opponents defense.

Fast forward to this year and obviously we’ll have a new offense with many of the same players as last year minus Rambo and Harley. It’s yet to be seen what Gattis’s offense will look like. He’s stated several times he’ll construct the offense based on the available personnel. I just can’t see him tying up TVD’s hands.

I think we can count on X to be very reliable. We’re loaded at TE and RB and quite frankly, it’s not like we got a bunch of JAGS at WR. Unproven yes. JAGS no. The talent is there, we’ve just got to be hopeful that a couple of them step up and Gattis doesn’t resort to a ground and pound type O.

I’m in wait and see mode.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We have 1 WR on our roster with more than 30 catches...

Every single team with a better offense than us is still actively & aggressively adding more talent at WR, Miami isn’t a special case where we can value judge Portal WR’s as if we’re playing with house money.

Canes fans mostly view things from a Homer perspective, so of course everybody is overrated as soon as we don’t get’em, but if the staff is & has been looking for a WR for months now it pretty much indicates they want another piece as well.

But, sometimes learning the hard way is the best way, so for yalls sake I hope Homerism wins out this time.
Here’s the thing dog, our corners are just that good. That’s why we couldn’t creat separation in the spring. And the drops, TVD is just so cold that occasionally you gotta drop an open one just so he doesn’t get the big head. Bottom line, our Wr’s are better than any portal receiver out there. Ivey, Dunson, and Couch have all figured it out and took colossal steps forward. They’re at minimum all conference selections but high key if you can get the bookie odds on them being all Americans.

People talking about red flags are crazy! 15-0

Sincerely, the delusional Canes fan lol

You don’t think mello can get it done?

Advertisement
Back