- Joined
- Jun 15, 2020
- Messages
- 1,048
Janbek vs lara dec 6th!!!!
snac.com
snac.com
Yo Steve @k9cane , I gave a listen to some of your recent podcasts and the consensus seems to be that the Ali act had no teeth thus TKO amending it is being overplayed. If fighters still want to go the traditional promotional route, they can. But, I heard this conversation with Paulie and Algieri, its seems that TKO is doing the exact opposite of what's needed to protect the fighters. The Ali act gave boxers like these guys the recourse needed to be able to sue promoters when they've been screwed. Dana is mitigating that recourse with the amendment of the Ali act.
Seeing how he recently had to pay $375M in a settlement for ******* UFC fighters, he wants to avoid it in Boxing.
I would love to know your thoughts on it.
snac.com
Turki's involvement is definitely getting us the fights we all want to see. I guess I see the Ali act differently because my son is a fighter and TKO's intentions for the sport can be a concern for the athletes. The UFC model gives their fighters something close to a 10% revenue share while all the other major sports give their athletes close to 50%. That's a crime and Dana has been transparent about his motivation to use the UFC model for Boxing. So yes, we'll definitely get more fights we want to see and the fighters will get ****ed in the future more than ever and not be able to sue when they do.I don't care either way. I just watch the fight. Boxers can make the decision not join TKO, or go with another promoter and have the traditional Ali Act
My concern is the fights that take place. Im not here to be an activist
Nicely done, Steve.![]()
Where Have You Gone, Alex Wallau?
Last week I touched on the passing of Alex Wallau, who embarked on a long and successful run as an ABC executive (eventually becoming their president in 2000). But to anyone growing in the 1980's as a boxing fan, he was the boxing analyst for the network. Believe it or not, there was a time when...snac.com
This and the haney card is a pretty good 4th quarter
snac.com
Nicely done, Steve.
Do you see the quality of matchups consistently improving (eventually) with TKO’s involvement? To something closer to what we saw in the 80s and 90s (and even early aughts) when HBO and Showtime were really humming?
Or have we crossed the rubicon? It felt like boxing really took a hit from Covid. So many top fighters were at the end of their runs, and the younger guys just weren’t active enough.
I love the sport and remain hopeful it can sustain and come back. I think it’s great that Netflix has such a big audience and they are doing “numbers”…but boxing needs marketing! HBO was great at this, especially considering it was premium cable (and didn’t have the biggest “reach”). They always maintained different types of content to help market and develop fan bases for fighters. 24/7, Face Off, Legendary Nights, etc.
Would love to see Netflix/TKO start to lean into that type of programming more as they build out their stable.