Boxing The CIS Boxing Thread

Tank can beat Shakur if he turns into a Brawl where they’re trading shots in the middle of the ring.

But otherwise, Shakur will stay outside utilize his Jab & keep Tank at distance while changing the stroke zone on him by constantly evading & working from the side angles. As long as he doesn’t just stand flat footed in front of Tank he can beat him. Garcia got scared of Tank’s power after he knocked him down in the 2nd & became too overly cautious.

If you wanna beat Tank you have to fluster him with Combos & stay outside because Tank will take shots just to get close so he can throw that KO punch, but if he keep him at distance while still scoring, you can beat him.
Facts u have to boringly beat tank. Jab to death. Haney got a style but no power at all. I think Shakur can beat tank but imo not lacking power is trouble. U can't have a guy just walk at u. Mayweather had under rated power he kept canelo *** at bay with it and numerous others. Shakur iq is next level man, him in the phone booth is like he standing ten feet away from you. He's nice asf with it.

Advertisement
my latest column, on a all-action, TV friendly lightweight contender...

my thoughts on Canelo's upcoming fight...

my thoughts on Canelo's upcoming fight...

No buzz with this fight. Sad times!

Advertisement
Canelo has been fighting grown men since 15, you can see all the miles he has on him now. Ryder is tuff but this was supposed to be a show in his hometown where he gets a ko.

Gonna be interesting to see what he does next

Canelo has declined.
I fell asleep as expected so I didn’t see the fight. I’ll watch some highlights this morning. Surprised he couldn’t KO this guy. Bivol might beat him even worse this next time around. What does Canelo do if he takes another bad L to Bivol?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I fell asleep as expected so I didn’t see the fight. I’ll watch some highlights this morning. Surprised he couldn’t KO this guy. Bivol might beat him even worse this next time around. What does Canelo do if he takes another bad L to Bivol?

Canelo seems to have fallen in total love with head hunting now. He was breaking down Ryder to the body but went away from it. I'll give Ryder credit, besides showing heart, he was picking Canelo off with counter punchers in the back half of the fight. The scorecards were ridiculous, I gave Ryder 3 rounds and you can make a case for 2 other rounds too.

Benavidez and his pressure style would/will be a HUGE issue for Canelo and I don't care if it's at 168 or 175....Bivol will beat him again.

I understand the supposed arguments for Canelo wanting the fight at 175 and Bivol wanting it at 168, but I'm only really buying Bivol's. Bivol wins at either weight and Canelo wants to hold onto those 168 straps, and the additional leverage they bring him, as long as he can. If he loses, again, at 175, enough people will just chalk it up to "He just wasn't built for 175" and he'd remain undisputed at 168. If he loses at 168, to a guy coming down, "The Canelo era is over" and he loses all but the WBC title.

He'd still ride a couple of years of big fights, maybe even a third with Bivol (depending on which excuses he can sell for the loss and maybe because the WBC later changes its mind and puts that belt in play), but he won't be "the Man" anymore. And it's just a matter of time until we see the next great/tremendously marketable Mexican fighter.

This is also really interesting because Bivol doesn't need Canelo, that fight, or to cater to Canelo's usual dictates. Been a loooong time since Canelo has been in that position.

Advertisement

It’s gotta be Julio César Chávez

But strong arguments could be made for Salvador Sanchez & Ricardo “Finito” López

I don't think it's "gotta be", but he is an all time great, and I don't throw those terms around.

Sanchez is the most intriguing as he had such a dominant run, and then died before his prime. I think he was the most talented of the top tier Mexican fighters, we just never got to see what he could be.

FYI, interesting overview:
Also interested to get thoughts on what the definition is of "Mexican" fighter. Do you mean place of birth, place of residence, or ancestry? As an example, Oscar marketed himself as Mexican-American for his whole career, but was born in the U.S.. And there are a number of fighters, born in other countries, who move to America for different reasons. If a fighter is born in Kazakhstan, but his family moved to the U.S when he's 5, is he a Kaz fighter? If a fighter comes from Cuba, when he's 20, is he a Cuban fighter? What about fighters who pursue different citizenship for Olympic purposes? Just thinking out loud. This is interesting. Thanks for your patience.

I don't think it's "gotta be", but he is an all time great, and I don't throw those terms around.

Sanchez is the most intriguing as he had such a dominant run, and then died before his prime. I think he was the most talented of the top tier Mexican fighters, we just never got to see what he could be.

FYI, interesting overview:
Also interested to get thoughts on what the definition is of "Mexican" fighter. Do you mean place of birth, place of residence, or ancestry? As an example, Oscar marketed himself as Mexican-American for his whole career, but was born in the U.S.. And there are a number of fighters, born in other countries, who move to America for different reasons. If a fighter is born in Kazakhstan, but his family moved to the U.S when he's 5, is he a Kaz fighter? If a fighter comes from Cuba, when he's 20, is he a Cuban fighter? What about fighters who pursue different citizenship for Olympic purposes? Just thinking out loud. This is interesting. Thanks for your patience.
You said you think Salvador Sanchez was the most talented of the top tier Mexican fighters...

So whatever you defined as a "Mexican" fighter is exactly what I meant.

Advertisement
some thoughts on this weeks cards on ESPN and Showtime..

some thoughts on this past weekend in boxing, and especially the stoppage call from referee, Tony Weeks.....

Advertisement
Back