The Case for Graham Harrell

RBhurricane87

Senior
I think he would be a better hire than Applewhite (and maybe even Fedora).

He's coached under Gundy, Leach, and Holgorsen.

Played under Mike Leach.

He's currently the OC at North Texas under HC Seth Littrell, who was the OC at UNC under Fedora.

Graham Harrell joined the Mean Green as the offensive coordinator for North Texas prior to the 2016 season. His offense saw the 11th-best turnaround in the nation, scoring 9.6 points per game more than it did in 2015. North Texas threw for 771 more yards than it did in 2015, and the total offense gained 603 yards more than it did in 2015 under Harrell's guidance.

Harrell, who was a record-setting Texas high school football quarterback at Ennis and in college at Texas Tech, spent two seasons at Washington State. He was promoted to outside receivers coach in 2015 and helped lead the Cougars to an 8-4 season and a berth in the Sun Bowl.
Harrell coached wide receiver Gabe Marks, who was a Pac-12 first-team all-conference selection in 2015. Marks led the conference in receptions, touchdown receptions and was second in receiving yards per game. He set a Washington State single season record with 14 receiving touchdowns. In addition to Marks, wide receiver Dom Williams received honorable mention honors after hauling in 73 catches for 997 yards and 11 touchdowns. Washington State led the nation in passing offense in 2015, throwing for 397 yards per game.

North Texas Total Offense (per ESPN):

2015- 121st
2016 - 109th
2017 - 13th
2018 - 18th

Yes, I know...mental *********ion, yada yada yada

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think he would be a better hire than Applewhite.

Played under Mike Leach.

He's currently the OC at North Texas under HC Seth Littrell, who was the OC at UNC under Fedora.

Graham Harrell joined the Mean Green as the offensive coordinator for North Texas prior to the 2016 season. His offense saw the 11th-best turnaround in the nation, scoring 9.6 points per game more than it did in 2015. North Texas threw for 771 more yards than it did in 2015, and the total offense gained 603 yards more than it did in 2015 under Harrell's guidance.

Harrell, who was a record-setting Texas high school football quarterback at Ennis and in college at Texas Tech, spent two seasons at Washington State. He was promoted to outside receivers coach in 2015 and helped lead the Cougars to an 8-4 season and a berth in the Sun Bowl.
Harrell coached wide receiver Gabe Marks, who was a Pac-12 first-team all-conference selection in 2015. Marks led the conference in receptions, touchdown receptions and was second in receiving yards per game. He set a Washington State single season record with 14 receiving touchdowns. In addition to Marks, wide receiver Dom Williams received honorable mention honors after hauling in 73 catches for 997 yards and 11 touchdowns. Washington State led the nation in passing offense in 2015, throwing for 397 yards per game.

I'd be 100% onboard with this hire.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sonny Cumbie of TCU is another guy with similar pedigree. They were pretty bad in 2018 but from 2012-2017 his offenses have been among the nation's elite.

Advertisement
I think he would be a better hire than Applewhite (and maybe even Fedora).

Played under Mike Leach.

North Texas Total Offense (per ESPN):

2015- 121st
2016 - 109th
2017 - 13th
2018 - 18th

The Captain's prized pupil...want

Advertisement
Kid had ice in his veins when he played. A volcano could be erupting and he was calm in the pocket.

He's on the CBS 60 minutes when they talked to Leach. Took him three minutes to explain everything he had to look at in under 3 seconds.

Also that pass to Crabtree to beat #1 Texas was great. They talk about the moment before the play in the interview. If they can be loose enough to play that way under pressure, I'm sure he will do find as a coach.

How much of that is Harrell and how much is Seth Litrell, the HC?

Fedora's offenses at UNC went downhill once Litrell left. Harrell has a good coaching tree, but you'd be taking a huge risk

Advertisement
Back