The case for Dan Enos

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
I live in Alabama (God help me) and when Enos' name first showed up as a candidate in another thread I kinda brushed it off as a pipe dream. This guy is one of the best football coaches in the country, hands-down. He is a major quarterback whisperer. Everywhere he's gone, the QBs put up ridiculous numbers. At Arkansas he groomed the two Allens (Brandon and Austin) to back-to-back 3000 yard seasons. We all saw what he did with Tua this year, and even had Hurts prepared to step in and win the SEC Championship game - Hurts looked more like a QB in that game than in any other during his career. This guy will get the absolute most out of the QB room.

Further, despite the internet mopery, he does NOT run a plodding offense. Is it "pro-style"? I guess, but a better term might be "power run/vertical pass." Here's a pretty good article on him at Arkansas: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...ielema-plus-enos-match-made-offensive-heaven/

As you can see, Bielema is a run-first coach and so that's what Enos ran there. BUT, you can also see from that article (and others, I'll do a breakdown at some point too) that Enos likes to run out of passing formations and vice-versa. Will he line up in 5-wide sets every down? Probably not, but don't think for a second that this is a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" scheme. QBs have put up gaudy numbers in his offenses - so have running backs - and make no mistake, if Manny wants our offense to run tempo, Enos will run tempo. He's a brilliant offensive mind.

Briefly also, Enos can recruit, has head coaching experience, has been part of a winning and championship-level culture, and was literally on his way to being OC at Alabama before Manny poached him. The Roll Tide-rs down here are in shock that he's leaving. I don't believe the whole "if Saban wanted him he'd still be there" crap. Saban wanted him. So did Kirby. So did a lot of coaches. But he's now the Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach at Miami. And yes, in my opinion, it's a home run.

Advertisement
I live in Alabama (God help me) and when Enos' name first showed up as a candidate in another thread I kinda brushed it off as a pipe dream. This guy is one of the best football coaches in the country, hands-down. He is a major quarterback whisperer. Everywhere he's gone, the QBs put up ridiculous numbers. At Arkansas he groomed the two Allens (Brandon and Austin) to back-to-back 3000 yard seasons. We all saw what he did with Tua this year, and even had Hurts prepared to step in and win the SEC Championship game - Hurts looked more like a QB in that game than in any other during his career. This guy will get the absolute most out of the QB room.

Further, despite the internet mopery, he does NOT run a plodding offense. Is it "pro-style"? I guess, but a better term might be "power run/vertical pass." Here's a pretty good article on him at Arkansas: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...ielema-plus-enos-match-made-offensive-heaven/

As you can see, Bielema is a run-first coach and so that's what Enos ran there. BUT, you can also see from that article (and others, I'll do a breakdown at some point too) that Enos likes to run out of passing formations and vice-versa. Will he line up in 5-wide sets every down? Probably not, but don't think for a second that this is a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" scheme. QBs have put up gaudy numbers in his offenses - so have running backs - and make no mistake, if Manny wants our offense to run tempo, Enos will run tempo. He's a brilliant offensive mind.

Briefly also, Enos can recruit, has head coaching experience, has been part of a winning and championship-level culture, and was literally on his way to being OC at Alabama before Manny poached him. The Roll Tide-rs down here are in shock that he's leaving. I don't believe the whole "if Saban wanted him he'd still be there" crap. Saban wanted him. So did Kirby. So did a lot of coaches. But he's now the Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach at Miami. And yes, in my opinion, it's a home run.
Solid post...

Advertisement

The OL hire will be critical (obviously), any ideas who he might go with? I know he's worked with Pittman, maybe he's got a protege?

Pin this to the top please. Case closed!

Advertisement
Something that cant be overstated, IMO - I've read now in several places that at Arkansas, Bielema told Enos what he wanted the offense to do/be and Enos went out and did it, to the tune of 3000 yard passers and 1300 yard rushers in back to back seasons with different personnel. That tells me that he's savvy enough to take what the HC wants to run and put the best version of it out on the field.

Advertisement
I don't care if we run pro style, spread, or a mix of both (my preference), just speed up this offense, get some motion going, be unpredictable, and MOVE THE **** CHAINS BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY so we can score some **** points. I'm not stuck on a particular style of offense at all, just the one that gets into the end zone, so I don't care what he runs.
Just score, baby!!!

and get the ball to Jr (Jordan).!!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back