The Calm After The Storm

Advertisement
Truth be told, Mario inherited as much talent from Diaz, as Butch inherited from DE. Thing is, Butch had to deal with 30 schollie loss...no TV or Bowl for a yr. Terrible public perception, highlighted by Marlin Barnes murder on Campus, the SI Cover...which made things that much harder from A to Z. Mario has a few HUGE advantages that Butch never had. Support from the Entire Administration. And a Financial Backer in Ruiz. Another advantage is Pay between the two. Huge disparity in that....Anotherwords, no more excuses going forward....Butch had legitimate excuses in 95-97....To not atleast Win 9 games this yr would be inexcusable. Too much talent to not win 9. I don't think that's asking too much.
The advantage butch had though over Mario is THE PLAYERS THAT WERE IN THE SYSTEM although numbers weren't where we needed,they were atleast coached up right. Mario has inherited alot of bad habits that have been exasperated throughout the years and he's gotta break them quickly. Besides what you mentioned Mario's other advantage is the acc is currently a joke. It's on the rise because several good staffs we're brought in but just like us it takes a lil time. We atleast have some athletes

Yah, people are a trip. They love to hate and place blame.

I had a discussion or rather argument with one CIS member who insisted our ST coach is incompetent and should be replaced because of the special teams mishaps in the game. Those things are just a part of the game just like life. There will be fumbles, interceptions, and penalties. It called adversity and fans should remember that.
One thing I'd say and it's not trashing anyone. Simple apples to oranges. I want as a returner for punts and kick offs no one but either key or Malik Curtis. On kick offs I don't mind rooster in some situations. But I don't think tyrique needs to be back there. Just don't see the upside in that for him or us.

Advertisement
Truth be told, Mario inherited as much talent from Diaz, as Butch inherited from DE. Thing is, Butch had to deal with 30 schollie loss...no TV or Bowl for a yr. Terrible public perception, highlighted by Marlin Barnes murder on Campus, the SI Cover...which made things that much harder from A to Z. Mario has a few HUGE advantages that Butch never had. Support from the Entire Administration. And a Financial Backer in Ruiz. Another advantage is Pay between the two. Huge disparity in that....Anotherwords, no more excuses going forward....Butch had legitimate excuses in 95-97....To not atleast Win 9 games this yr would be inexcusable. Too much talent to not win 9. I don't think that's asking too much.

Respect; but I think it’s safe to say Butch dealt w/ a bad hand, but he still had talent left over from The D.E era. He had Ray, Kenny, Yatil, Kenard, Carlos, Jammi.

I’m not referring to what he dealt w/, per se, but the cultural problem that infiltrated within the program.

Respect; but I think it’s safe to say Butch dealt w/ a bad hand, but he still had talent left over from The D.E era. He had Ray, Kenny, Yatil, Kenard, Carlos, Jammi.

I’m not referring to what he dealt w/, per se, but the cultural problem that infiltrated within the program.
Oh absolutely...but outta the guys you mentioned Ray and Lang, were gone in a yr..
Carlos immediately got in Butchs doghouse...and Jammi, after a good frosh yr was all but done. Yatil and Jammi to a lesser extent were also minimized by injuries. But I know what you're referring to Rell...

One thing I'd say and it's not trashing anyone. Simple apples to oranges. I want as a returner for punts and kick offs no one but either key or Malik Curtis. On kick offs I don't mind rooster in some situations. But I don't think tyrique needs to be back there. Just don't see the upside in that for him or us.
if nothing more based on his importance on defense, i've never wanted him back there. I felt the same about restrepo back there. as a team there's a lot more to lose, than to gain from him being back there

so what was their excuse for looking like **** against SHSU. stop this. for three games, they looked bad. every one of them. not just against app state
I just made the point.
I agree. I don't want any starter catching punts.
To much risk for injury.

I just don't think fans should throw him under the bus for making a mistake. Fumbles happen all the time. They had one, but were lucky to recover it. Guys getting paid in the NFL fumble punts.

My bigger concern is the field goal kicking unit. They are awful. I didn't realize it until I watched the CoachHayesShow on YouTube where he broke down the game. On our 1st field goal he pointed out how just about every offensive lineman was standing up on the snap. They were all getting driven back having no leverage. This continued in every field goal attempt. I'm shocked there weren't more field goals blocked.

What disturbs me is that this got by the Special Teams coach and Mario. This is very disturbing. How is this happening 3 games into the season and the Special Teams coach doesn't see it? He doesn't see it during the game? No adjustment. Nobody's watching the blocking?

Check out these times to see the field goal blocking.
17:51
25:15
42:29
59:23

Watch the entire breakdown of the game for great insight from Coach Hayes. There were 4-5 plays that could have been touchdowns. Coach shows you where 1 guy makes the play that prevents a TD. We could have scored 30 on them if during a play one of our guys does his job correctly or an AtM player doesn't save the day with a shoestring tackle. When you see freeze frame video, it's OMG moments.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I just made the point.

To much risk for injury.

I just don't think fans should throw him under the bus for making a mistake. Fumbles happen all the time. They had one, but were lucky to recover it. Guys getting paid in the NFL fumble punts.

My bigger concern is the field goal kicking unit. They are awful. I didn't realize it until I watched the CoachHayesShow on YouTube where he broke down the game. On our 1st field goal he pointed out how just about every offensive lineman was standing up on the snap. They were all getting driving back having no leverage. This continued in every field goal attempt. I'm shocked there weren't more field goals blocked.

What disturbs me that is this got by the Special Teams coach and Mario. This is very disturbing.

my only issue w the fumble is that its the second week in a row he fielded a risky punt too. he shouldn't be out there like you said.

my only issue w the fumble is that its the second week in a row he fielded a risky punt too. he shouldn't be out there like you said.
That should be coached out of him. As discussed, we should have someone else fielding punts simply as to not have starters do it.

I'm not too high on the ST coach after watching Coach Hayes. Everyone should check it out.

I think moving forward, I'm going to hold my comments until after watching film breakdown because the film don't lie. We were very close to putting 30 on them when you see it on film.

I just made the point.

To much risk for injury.

My bigger concern is the field goal kicking unit. They are awful. I didn't realize it until I watched the CoachHayesShow on YouTube where he broke down the game. On our 1st field goal he pointed out how just about every offensive lineman was standing up on the snap. They were all getting driven back having no leverage. This continued in every field goal attempt. I'm shocked there weren't more field goals blocked.

What disturbs me is that this got by the Special Teams coach and Mario. This is very disturbing. How is this happening 3 games into the season and the Special Teams coach doesn't see it? He doesn't see it during the game? No adjustment. Nobody's watching the blocking?

Watch the entire breakdown of the game for great insight from Coach Hayes. There were 4-5 plays that could have been touchdowns. Coach shows you where 1 guy makes the play that prevents a TD. We could have scored 30 on them if during a play one of our guys does his job correctly or an AtM player doesn't save the day with a shoestring tackle. When you see freeze frame video, it's OMG moments.

I'd disagree that FOR THAT PARTICULAR PLAY he doesn't deserve to get thrown under the bus. The issue isn't that he fumbled. The issue is he had zero business even touching that ball unless it was simply as a fair catch. To attempt to make a play on the ball is simply horrible judgement and needs to be accountable for it. The a&m kid simply miffed the punt but he was doing what he was supposed to atleast.

I'd disagree that FOR THAT PARTICULAR PLAY he doesn't deserve to get thrown under the bus. The issue isn't that he fumbled. The issue is he had zero business even touching that ball unless it was simply as a fair catch. To attempt to make a play on the ball is simply horrible judgement and needs to be accountable for it. The a&m kid simply miffed the punt but he was doing what he was supposed to atleast.
the correct play at that point was to let it bounce. even if you lost 10 or more on the bounce its not a turnover and a free short field for a terrible offense

Advertisement
I agree. What I mean is that was one play. There were many plays that affected the outcome of the game. He wasn't the sole reason why we lost. He had a part in it though.

I agree. What I mean is that was one play. There were many plays that affected the outcome of the game. He wasn't the sole reason why we lost. He had a part in it though.
Definitely not the sole reason. And you can only take results as they are. You can't say well take into account the game would've been played out differently if not for that point especially when you consider that happened in the first quarter. You don't change ur approach in the first half of a 4 quarter game because of 7 points in the first 15 minutes. Results being what they are,he had a huge part in it.

This dude was the truth. Injuries cut his career way too short.

Advertisement
the correct play at that point was to let it bounce. even if you lost 10 or more on the bounce its not a turnover and a free short field for a terrible offense
Horrible play by Stevenson. If he can’t be smart with it he shouldn’t be there because he’s the farthest thing from dangerous with the ball in his hands. Biggest play of the game. Cause tamu only drove the field for a touchdown once that game. Let’s say we go three and out. I doubt they drive the field after a hedley punt

This. If TS is the one lobbying to stay at PR he needs to be sat down and explained that he's currently losing draft stock money by staying there. Go be a shutdown corner and get paid and stop putting bonehead special teams plays on film for scouts.

Advertisement
Back