The Calm After The Storm

View as article
OK, my friends. Breaking News:

We lost.

Jersey Shore What GIF

Advertisement

We lost.

Who would’ve known that a team who barely went 7-5 last yr, w/ a QB who really had only one real target that’s no longer here, would lose a game on the road in a hostile environment to a SEC team? I get the anger; there’s plenty of blame to go around this game:

-From The Coaching Staff: clock mgmt was atrocious, and play calls in the green zone (commonly referred to as red zone) was head scratching

-From The Players: The Special Teams unit was god awful, & it literally cost us the game. Poor tackling on a couple of drives led to A&M close to putting a final nail in the coffin. Those pesky drops that was reported in camp? Yeah, they came out at night, like The Freaks; and while the OL did well throughout the game, costly penalties took steam out the boat on several occasions.

Those are the facts; but, there appears to be another fact some refuse to accept. It’s a fact I stated on @LeedsCane podcast, it’s a fact that I created a thread on. The fact is, this team is good, but it’s not great. This team, this culture that has been riddled with bad evals, fit pieces, and an overall lack of winning is still here. Yet, some convinced themselves that just b/c a new staff w/ some hot names came on board, that would change this culture in one year; how?

I tried to tell u guys numerous of times stop comparing us to SC, why? B/c SC is the only game in town; they are So Cal’s team. SC have won a Nat’l title in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. SC have won their conference several times in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. SC have won multiple NY6 bowls in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. Friends, let me be clear, & I need u all to truly understand this: The chit that’s talked about other schools, they’ve all faired better than us in the last 18 yrs.

Here’s the silver lining; a change have been seen:

-The OL is playing way better than we’ve seen in some time.

-Our RB room, while not 2001 worthy, has 3 guys who can get theirs w/ 2 of those RBs who are small in stature, but big in heart & effort

-Our defense, while filled w/ some holes, have been holding us down while the offense have been trying to find its sea legs.

We were in this game until the clock struck zero. There are no moral victories; the fact is, we did lose to a bad 8&4 team, and we can blame ourselves on several things, but that’s the point. As long as I can remember, this Miami Hurricanes team have shot themselves in the foot, & it’s from little things that snowball in to bigger issues. That’s culture, folks. That’s what u can’t account for on paper. Mario has been transparent this entire time, yet the reason you feel this vitriol is b/c despite what u saw from The Spring Game, despite what Mario continue to say, u saw us beat up on BCU & come out & smoke So. Miss in the 2nd Half. That stubborn 15-0 mentality crept in & now u’re disappointed faced w/ reality. That’s shame on u, not on them.

Listen, I’m not always right, but my post history shows I’m more right than wrong. I don’t get emotionally caught as most fanatics, I try to base things on facts (hence, y I provide current & historical stats/records, etc.) The fact is, TVD is missing his #1 target, Rambo. Our WR room is filled w/ 3rd down, chain movers, not play/difference makers that can stretch the field or game plan around. The defense has “some guys”, but that too is lacking play makers throughout.

We’ll win next week, against another poor G5 team, and I promise, we’ll see the 14-1 crowd rear it’s head, but when I said I see this team as an 8 win regular season team, I didn’t look at names on the roster, I looked at a change in culture. I looked at an offense that want to be ran v. personnel to run it.

If u’re calling for Gattis’ or Mario’s head after one defeat, that’s b/c u drank the Kool Aid as opposed to being reasonable in realizing that 80% of a roster that scraped by to go 7-5 is still here, while a big part of that production on O is gone. R-E-L-A-X; this is not a 1yr turn around; it’s a 2-3 yr joint. Our portal hits were not difference makers; it was depth guys. Also, remember this roster is still fairly young, where our best players are Sophomores, which means they too are still learning.

There’s a lot to look forward to, but at the same time, realize that calling every team on our schedule weak hasn’t meant chit in 18 yrs. Sit back, enjoy the process, criticize certain things, but don’t blow it up after one game. Lol. Stop sipping Kool-Aid; it’s bad for ur teeth & mental health.
And both teams wore adidas 🤣

Advertisement
A lot of good points here. I respect all of it!

My concern truly remains the offense, the offensively philosophy, the offensive pace, and the attractiveness of the offense to elite recruits, and the offense’s ability to win the ACC.

Exactly. What we saw last night in regard to our O's pace, pass routes, play calls, QB play, and drops is concerning, imo. If the reason we're trying to square peg this roster is to implement a system for future seasons when the talent level will be stronger, then cool. Have at it. But I thought the objective was to win now due to the conference and division we play in?

We lost which sucks but I'm actually encouraged by what i saw. The defense and offensive line have vastly improved and the team is mentally tougher. Last year this is the typical 35-3 beatdown we see in these type of games. We have tape now to improve upon, Gattis and the WR's need to have a come to Jesus moment and make adjustments that adapt to the lack of deep threat talent at wideout.

I suspect that this offense will put up much better numbers up to the Clemson game simply because the defenses we'll be facing are a step down. We need to keep that in perspective and not get too high on this team prior to Clemson. This is where our staff needs to earn their salary and keep this team poised throughout the season.

I look at this season as a great opportunity to build this team up and rack up Ws. With this staff we should be able to go into the Clemson game at 9-1/8-2. In the Clemson game we have a great opportunity to showcase improvement and possibly take them down. We need to get back to work and keep improving throughout the season.

@Rellyrell great post! The sky is not falling.
I'm still drinking cool aid because I like it and I'm still on track for 10-2. Nothing has changed from three weeks ago and the team will get better as the year goes on. For those who like to say Mario will lose a game he shouldn't... that was it. Another scrimmage that Gattis can use to try to get TVD dialed in and then it's on to ACC play. Win the corstal and play in the ACC championship game. It's all still there for the taking.

Advertisement
The OL improving and the running game improving is great, except Cristobal’s Oregon teams always had OLs that graded out really well and a running game that always ranked high in the analytics.

Yet his offenses always still graded out low.

We lost.

Who would’ve known that a team who barely went 7-5 last yr, w/ a QB who really had only one real target that’s no longer here, would lose a game on the road in a hostile environment to a SEC team? I get the anger; there’s plenty of blame to go around this game:

-From The Coaching Staff: clock mgmt was atrocious, and play calls in the green zone (commonly referred to as red zone) was head scratching

-From The Players: The Special Teams unit was god awful, & it literally cost us the game. Poor tackling on a couple of drives led to A&M close to putting a final nail in the coffin. Those pesky drops that was reported in camp? Yeah, they came out at night, like The Freaks; and while the OL did well throughout the game, costly penalties took steam out the boat on several occasions.

Those are the facts; but, there appears to be another fact some refuse to accept. It’s a fact I stated on @LeedsCane podcast, it’s a fact that I created a thread on. The fact is, this team is good, but it’s not great. This team, this culture that has been riddled with bad evals, fit pieces, and an overall lack of winning is still here. Yet, some convinced themselves that just b/c a new staff w/ some hot names came on board, that would change this culture in one year; how?

I tried to tell u guys numerous of times stop comparing us to SC, why? B/c SC is the only game in town; they are So Cal’s team. SC have won a Nat’l title in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. SC have won their conference several times in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. SC have won multiple NY6 bowls in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. Friends, let me be clear, & I need u all to truly understand this: The chit that’s talked about other schools, they’ve all faired better than us in the last 18 yrs.

Here’s the silver lining; a change have been seen:

-The OL is playing way better than we’ve seen in some time.

-Our RB room, while not 2001 worthy, has 3 guys who can get theirs w/ 2 of those RBs who are small in stature, but big in heart & effort

-Our defense, while filled w/ some holes, have been holding us down while the offense have been trying to find its sea legs.

We were in this game until the clock struck zero. There are no moral victories; the fact is, we did lose to a bad 8&4 team, and we can blame ourselves on several things, but that’s the point. As long as I can remember, this Miami Hurricanes team have shot themselves in the foot, & it’s from little things that snowball in to bigger issues. That’s culture, folks. That’s what u can’t account for on paper. Mario has been transparent this entire time, yet the reason you feel this vitriol is b/c despite what u saw from The Spring Game, despite what Mario continue to say, u saw us beat up on BCU & come out & smoke So. Miss in the 2nd Half. That stubborn 15-0 mentality crept in & now u’re disappointed faced w/ reality. That’s shame on u, not on them.

Listen, I’m not always right, but my post history shows I’m more right than wrong. I don’t get emotionally caught as most fanatics, I try to base things on facts (hence, y I provide current & historical stats/records, etc.) The fact is, TVD is missing his #1 target, Rambo. Our WR room is filled w/ 3rd down, chain movers, not play/difference makers that can stretch the field or game plan around. The defense has “some guys”, but that too is lacking play makers throughout.

We’ll win next week, against another poor G5 team, and I promise, we’ll see the 14-1 crowd rear it’s head, but when I said I see this team as an 8 win regular season team, I didn’t look at names on the roster, I looked at a change in culture. I looked at an offense that want to be ran v. personnel to run it.

If u’re calling for Gattis’ or Mario’s head after one defeat, that’s b/c u drank the Kool Aid as opposed to being reasonable in realizing that 80% of a roster that scraped by to go 7-5 is still here, while a big part of that production on O is gone. R-E-L-A-X; this is not a 1yr turn around; it’s a 2-3 yr joint. Our portal hits were not difference makers; it was depth guys. Also, remember this roster is still fairly young, where our best players are Sophomores, which means they too are still learning.

There’s a lot to look forward to, but at the same time, realize that calling every team on our schedule weak hasn’t meant chit in 18 yrs. Sit back, enjoy the process, criticize certain things, but don’t blow it up after one game. Lol. Stop sipping Kool-Aid; it’s bad for ur teeth & mental health.
The Sage from South Gate speaks.

Not saying you’re off base here but in regards to recruiting Lashlee wasn’t landing these elite WRs either

And if I’m an OL or an elite RB I gotta like what I see here and lord knows we’ve let a lot of those escape us…or maybe I’m just looking for a silver lining

Sorta damned if you do damned if you don’t if you’re not winning games I guess
Winning of course helps. It’s very important. So is having a product to sell. Mario is a great recruiter. He will have no problem recruiting the OL. But he will continue to struggle to recruit premier WRs if the offense continues to flounder. WRs are already being told Mario’s teams don’t produce NFL guys . I’m sure Andy Jean isnt the only guy that’s being negatively recruited.

Mario needs to find the happy medium when it comes to his offensive philosophy

The OL improving and the running game improving is great, except Cristobal’s Oregon teams always had OLs that graded out really well and a running game that always ranked high in the analytics.

get your analytics out of here. all we care about is the eyeball test

Advertisement
Spot on! As tough as it is just sit back and let this seasons rollercoaster play out. 8-9 wins gets us another class with potential difference makers. Hit the portal and next shoot for 9-10 wins…and a third class with real 4 stars, 2+ years of development, culture , etc.

I will say that the DT Jackson has a chance to be big time. He is a monster. He takes on double teams and let’s some other guys eat our LBs can run a bit more free. Will be interested to see his progress this year.

Blast Mtsu and then let’s take another positive step and handle UNc…past seasons we walk in licking our wounds and lose a game we should win.
I often agree with you dawg, but culture is not why we lost. We lost because we were outcoached. How many times did we throw a pass into the end zone? How many deep balls did we throw? How aggressive was the play calling last night? Players made mistakes. The best ones of all time did as well. All teams have penalties. Mario’s scheme does not fit down here as you said. Another coach coming down here being stubborn and not doing what will actually work here. TVD has regressed but let’s be real, he was not making many reads last year either. He was throwing to Rambo only where he could catch them or they go out of bounds. We have guys who can do that, it’s not dynamic at all, hence why buddy ain’t get drafted smh. We just don’t run an open offense. It’s like we don’t have guys that can run. You don’t need separation to be affective. Shoot you can throw it up and they hand fight and we get a PI call each time nowadays. Brinson made a sports center top 10 one hand grab on a fade last year, now he not good enough to be thrown one? I call BS!!

That's what I'm trying to tell the people to enjoy the process of us improving and getting better by a week to week basis

Advertisement
The biggest thing I want to see us accomplish this year is owning both line of scrimmages becoming a very physical team, find the soldiers on our team that we can rely on, develop the young blue chip talent. Hopefully we find our way to a 9 plus win season and that will lock us in to a top 6 to 8 recruiting class where we can fix more and more of these holes especially receiver

I rewatched the game and ****, we really were the better team. Miami really controlled the game but just missed too many opportunities. I can clearly see that the defense has a much better grasp of the scheme than the offense; need more time.

We could be dangerous at the tail end of the season. I predicted 9-3 but I can really see 10-2 possible 11-1 with some luck.
I'd happily bet you alot of $$$$ in ref to 10-2

Our o-line can be even better even elite next cycle with the guys we have bringing in

Nobody thought this team had the talent to win a NC, and honestly, we don’t have the talent right now to really challenge Clemson.

But that’s not the issue today. Explain the play-calling inside the 20. It’s a little beyond head-scratching. 1st and goal and we run three times inside the tackles, once with a qb not known for his running? There’s playing it safe and there’s showing no confidence in your offense. Another question is why are we always running routes 3-4 yards short of the 1st down relying on YAC with receivers who can’t create separation? They are tackled as soon as they catch the ball and no conversion.

Beyond the improvement in o-line and running game, the overall scheme of the offense is unimpressive. Smart teams will do what jimbo did; make us go on sustained long drives and count on is making a mistake or a penalty that will take us out of it.

I clearly said the play calls w/in the green zone were ?able; not sure y u felt the need to rehash everything I just said.

Listen, some of you mofos r hard headed af. Some of u were saying we don’t need game breaking speed like that. The Spring Game TOLD ALL OF US the talent or lack thereof in the WR room. Again, we have a bunch of 3rd down chain movers. U cannot beat any credible team playing a boxed scheme. We have a boxed scheme b/c none of these guys can garnish separation, & when they did, balls r hitting them in their hands, face mask, shoulder pads & drops.

This roster has holes, but the Kool-aid sipping mofos love to ignore glaring facts, & then when fans highlight said facts, they’re called out for being mopes.

Advertisement
Back