The buyout lies are disgusting

Advertisement
For those in the know, when the BOT meets is their primary subject the football team? This forum acts like the BOT are all rabid football fans

For those in the know, when the BOT meets is their primary subject the football team? This forum acts like the BOT are all rabid football fans

It’s not, at all. Agendas for those meetings are planned out well in advance usually and not really reactive to these types of issues. We’d have to wait months if that was the case to make these types of moves. They will get the executive committee of the board together quickly if for example they needed to approve a buyout.

10,000 season ticket holders who cancel their seats at an avg of $500 a ticket is $5 million per year. Factor in parking and you will more than cover his buyout if no changes are made. If we dont get back to ACC championship game next year and have at least 10 regular season wins with our schedule, it will cost UM more to keep him than fire him. I believe next season we will have at least 5000 fewer season ticket holders if not more, unless they bring in a coveted OC. add in another similar season and if he is retained, season ticket sales will drop by far more than 10,000.

It’s not, at all. Agendas for those meetings are planned out well in advance usually and not really reactive to these types of issues. We’d have to wait months if that was the case to make these types of moves. They will get the executive committee of the board together quickly if for example they needed to approve a buyout.
Thank you

Advertisement
Fair. I guess I give the benefit of the doubt when someone understands what basis points means, but then again I've got a moron claiming to have an MBA from an Ivy school that thinks we can just build a stadium...

That would be me. And of course we CAN build a stadium.

And I graduated Yale with honors, fyi.

I’m enjoying this thread. You’re getting totally schooled by @dycane and @canespimp433 and it’s hilarious.

I don’t doubt that you’ve done budgeting, but chosing to eat a buyout or chosing to finance a stadium are strategic decisions that go beyond your paper-pusher logic. Like Canespimp correctly pointed out, accounting profits are not real profits. Decision makers would likely weigh their choice based on projected ROIC and projected growth impact of their decision.

Just because you don’t see which bucket they could draw the money from doesn’t mean the board’s hands are tied.

I’m not familiar with nonprofit accounting, title 9 rules, or anything to do with university operations.

But UM is a business, and any good business will operate in a way that maximizes its own value. I’m sure Miami has excellent accountants and compliance staff who help the board see their vision through.

No business is going to wait around “until the next meeting” to handle a pressing issue, especially one with PR implications. Nor would they strictly stick to a preplanned agenda. If it’s a pressing issue, they’ll get to work immediately. If something is in the works, it’s probably already in the works.

James Franklin was making 4.6 mill at ped state his buyout was almost 22 million
Not sure how that relates to Richts deal

I’m enjoying this thread. You’re getting totally schooled by @dycane and @canespimp433 and it’s hilarious.

I don’t doubt that you’ve done budgeting, but chosing to eat a buyout or chosing to finance a stadium are strategic decisions that go beyond your paper-pusher logic. Like Canespimp correctly pointed out, accounting profits are not real profits. Decision makers would likely weigh their choice based on projected ROIC and projected growth impact of their decision.

Just because you don’t see which bucket they could draw the money from doesn’t mean the board’s hands are tied.

I’m not familiar with nonprofit accounting, title 9 rules, or anything to do with university operations.

But UM is a business, and any good business will operate in a way that maximizes its own value. I’m sure Miami has excellent accountants and compliance staff who help the board see their vision through.

I'd give Yale their money back. Also... who the **** gets an MBA from Yale? They're the worst MBA program of the Ivy's. Unless you go into non-profit, and you clearly didn't, because you admittedly know absolutely nothing about non-profits.

I have yet to be "schooled" by anyone. All I hear, just like you, is disagreement without facts to back anything up.

"I'm not familiar with non-profit accounting".... "accounting profits are not real profits" Do you realize how stupid you sound?

Yeah... you totally know what you're talking about bud. Why don't you put on some white pants and a sweater with a big "Y" and go play croquet, eat cucumber sandwiches and chat with your rowing buddies about who's going to wed Mitzy?

Also, I hate to break it to you Mr. MBA, but non-profits are NOT businesses, by definition.

Please, I'm literally begging you, say one intelligent thing. Or at least stop proving you have no idea what you're talking about.

Advertisement
I don’t know anything about all these allocations and expenditures and ****le 9.
But I do know that it’s very difficult to convince people that don’t know or care about anything else except research money that a program that made 27mil needs to spend 10 mil to buy out a coach.
However, where is the money for operating and maintaining the ipf coming from? And how much is that puppy going to cost per year?
What is the lease agreement with hard rock and how does it relate to season tickets and football revenue?
How does the potential loss in merchandise and tv revenue come into play? What about potential coaches leaving and the cost in getting ones?
What if adidas wants to restructure cause they want another school to be their flagship cause cmr keeps run run pass punt?
If you out it in a disaster scenario you can make a case that those 27 mil are soon to become a negative cash flow account.
But then someone in accounting might say that’s a really good thing.
It all boils down to if they really give 💩 about winning.

I'd give Yale their money back. Also... who the **** gets an MBA from Yale? They're the worst MBA program of the Ivy's. Unless you go into non-profit, and you clearly didn't, because you admittedly know absolutely nothing about non-profits.

I have yet to be "schooled" by anyone. All I hear, just like you, is disagreement without facts to back anything up.

"I'm not familiar with non-profit accounting".... "accounting profits are not real profits" Do you realize how stupid you sound?

Yeah... you totally know what you're talking about bud. Why don't you put on some white pants and a sweater with a big "Y" and go play croquet, eat cucumber sandwiches and chat with your rowing buddies about who's going to wed Mitzy?

Also, I hate to break it to you Mr. MBA, but non-profits are NOT businesses, by definition.

Please, I'm literally begging you, say one intelligent thing. Or at least stop proving you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah....Yale totally sucks. You got me there. Just such a ****** school, with garbage academics.

Accounting profits are not real profits. You don’t need to have gone to Yale to learn that nugget of a basic fact. It’s accounting 101.

Obviously it’s true - in a general sense, expenses and revenues are accrued, you have depreciation and amortizations, etc. In the example given, you’re expensing scholarships at full tuition rate. Obviously that’s not a true cost that will impact the organization’s cash flows. It’s just an accounting number and decision-makers will disaggregate and back out such costs for their own analysis.

My bigger point was that you’re trying to apply mid-manager logic to board level decisions. The board are going to make decisions based on the big picture, as it relates to earnings growth and projected cash flow several years out, and as it relates to the projected return on invested capital. If they feel like Richt is a bad investment, they’ll find a way to minimize their losses while planning for the future.

Yeah....Yale totally sucks. You got me there. Just such a ****** school, with garbage academics.

Accounting profits are not real profits. You don’t need to have gone to Yale to learn that nugget of a basic fact. It’s accounting 101.

Obviously it’s true - in a general sense, expenses and revenues are accrued, you have depreciation and amortizations, etc. In the example given, you’re expensing scholarships at full tuition rate. Obviously that’s not a true cost that will impact the organization’s cash flows. It’s just an accounting number and decision-makers will disaggregate and back out such costs for their own analysis.

My bigger point was that you’re trying to apply mid-manager logic to board level decisions. The board are going to make decisions based on the big picture, as it relates to earnings growth and projected cash flow several years out, and as it relates to the projected return on invested capital. If they feel like Richt is a bad investment, they’ll find a way to minimize their losses while planning for the future.

Yale is consistently ranked as the worst MBA program of the Ivy's. I'd rather go to Cornell, which is hardly an Ivy. Okay, in fairness, better than Brown. Which doesn't have an MBA program, right? The only thing they truly specialize in is non-profit, which they are very good at. But apparently you chose to get an MBA from Yale in something other than non-profit. And now you want to talk all about non-profit asset management while admitting you're ignorant to it, despite going to the school that is probably the best in the world at it?

What I'm getting at is you're telling me is you spent something like $180K to get a degree from a not-very-good school for the money, and you chose not to enroll in the one program they're very good at. You sound really, really smart, and clearly understand investment and capital management concepts.

I worked with (meaning sat next to) a girl who went to Yale at my big corporate (super conservative) investment bank job (that I didn't need an MBA to get, mind you). She would wear panda ears and sneakers in the office and sing to herself about joy and beans and love. She only got the job because her parents were clients.

Getting a degree from a place does not automatically qualify you as intelligent.

But I've been reading your comments. The insights you have, the language you use, and in particular, your last paragraph on this post. Which sounds like you went to someone who understands finance and asked "hey, can you help me sound smart?"

I'm not buying for one second you have a Yale MBA. And if you do? Man... sad.

Yale is consistently ranked as the worst MBA program of the Ivy's. I'd rather go to Cornell, which is hardly an Ivy. Okay, in fairness, better than Brown. Which doesn't have an MBA program, right? The only thing they truly specialize in is non-profit, which they are very good at. But apparently you chose to get an MBA from Yale in something other than non-profit. And now you want to talk all about non-profit asset management while admitting you're ignorant to it, despite going to the school that is probably the best in the world at it?

What I'm getting at is you're telling me is you spent something like $180K to get a degree from a not-very-good school for the money, and you chose not to enroll in the one program they're very good at. You sound really, really smart, and clearly understand investment and capital management concepts.

I worked with (meaning sat next to) a girl who went to Yale at my big corporate (super conservative) investment bank job (that I didn't need an MBA to get, mind you). She would wear panda ears and sneakers in the office and sing to herself about joy and beans and love. She only got the job because her parents were clients.

Getting a degree from a place does not automatically qualify you as intelligent.

But I've been reading your comments. The insights you have, the language you use, and in particular, your last paragraph on this post. Which sounds like you went to someone who understands finance and asked "hey, can you help me sound smart?"

I'm not buying for one second you have a Yale MBA. And if you do? Man... sad.

People can make up their own minds whether Yale is a good school.

You sound butthurt that you yourself didn’t get in to a good school, and you sound butthurt that you’re being **** on by multiple smart people in this thread.

Next time, don’t go around calling people morons or insulting them - totally unprovoked, by the way.

I never punch first, but I always punch back. This is the second thread where, for no reason at all, you’ve decided to get angry and make it personal. If you want to talk shop like gentlemen, I’m all for it. If not, you can take your $40 starter jacket from 1994 and get the **** off my nuts, you ******* lightweight.

Advertisement

This is correct, and remember the board is making decisions for a 3B business of which the football program is a relatively small, yet highly visible component. Basic math they are doing is what’s the cost of the buyout relative to the cost of keeping him (lost revenue due to reduced ticket sales, philanthropy, sponsorships, etc)

People can make up their own minds whether Yale is a good school.

You sound butthurt that you yourself didn’t get in to a good school, and you sound butthurt that you’re being **** on by multiple smart people in this thread.

Next time, don’t go around calling people morons or insulting them - totally unprovoked, by the way.

I never punch first, but I always punch back. This is the second thread where, for no reason at all, you’ve decided to get angry and make it personal. If you want to talk shop like gentlemen, I’m all for it. If not, you can take your $40 starter jacket from 1994 and get the **** off my nuts, you ******* lightweight.

He claims to have worked IB but doesn’t know the basic differences between capital budgeting/operating budgets and accounting profits versus Cash Flow LMFAO. Super believable. How the **** are you valuing a company in IB if you can’t even understand the difference between a firms NI and CF generation? Holy cow. CashMoneyCanes, Fraud alert.

As far as the MBA discussion, Yale is one of the top feeders for Consulting. It’s not a finance powerhouse but they still put people on the Street.

Also what does that mean, her parents were clients of an investment bank. What kind of ******* boutique shop are you working at where you’re doing deals for a family business lmao? IBs represent massive companies and family businesses!

Advertisement
Guys, someone tell me we don’t have a federal investigation on the horizon for violating Title IX, or worse a potential IRS investigation, because we somehow “found” new money to pay for a Temple buyout and new head coach. How is that possible?

You just ousted yourself. No Yale grad is going to say they got their MBA with honors.

Advertisement
Back