The Bottom Line for 2024

FL Cane

Senior
With the recruiting class we landed in December, and with recent additions in the portal, expectations have risen for this 2024 team. I've said since the end of last year that Year 3 is pivotal for Mario. There's plenty of coaches with recent success (e.g., Sark, Franklin, Norvell, etc.) that made huge jumps in Year 3 at the helm. This year is make or break for him. It's apparent that Mario knows this too, since he's gone all in across the board.

We have an elite starting QB.

We have an elite starting RB.

We have an experienced and solid OL.

We have three starting WRs that could start at any P5 school in the country; best WR room in the ACC by a mile.

We have major talent at TE.

We have a talented and experienced LB room. We have good pieces on our defense and need more depth in some areas (DB and DL).

Anything less than a 10-2 regular season record would be failure. 9-3 would be fine, we haven't won nine games in a season since 2017, but with the talent and weapons we have it would still be a disappointment. We have the talent and experience to win now, and we need to.

Advertisement
With the recruiting class we landed in December, and with recent additions in the portal, expectations have risen for this 2024 team. I've said since the end of last year that Year 3 is pivotal for Mario. There's plenty of coaches with recent success (e.g., Sark, Franklin, Norvell, etc.) that made huge jumps in Year 3 at the helm. This year is make or break for him. It's apparent that Mario knows this too, since he's gone all in across the board.

We have three starting WRs that could start at any P5 school in the country; best WR room in the ACC by a mile.

We have a talented and experienced LB room. We have good pieces on our defense and need more depth in some areas (DB and DL).

Anything less than a 10-2 regular season record would be failure. 9-3 would be fine, we haven't won nine games in a season since 2017, but with the talent and weapons we have it would still be a disappointment. We have the talent and experience to win now, and we need to.
The biggest part of the puzzle of winning is PLAYERS. Mario excels at getting players and I am confident we soon see the results on the field.

We haven't started winning yet and look what he is doing bringing in talent. Win 10 games and we start locking in consistent top 5 classes moving forward.

3 losses means you probably lost to FSU and the gator. Or you beat one/both of them and then lost some head scratchers.

Wouldn’t be ‘OK’ for me. Considering we were a knee away from 8-4 last year, that would mean going all in yielded 1 additional W.

As you said, 10-2 (or better) or bust.

Advertisement
As favorable as the schedule looks right now I’d have to say 10 wins should be doable if we can maintain some semblance of a healthy squad

Anything less than 11-1 would be a failure IMO. FSU made it's 12-0 regular season run in year 4. This is year 3 for Cristobal, but this isn't 1973. The way the portal works now means teams can become contenders almost instantly. If a coach can't build a playoff contender in 3 years, either
1. he mismanaged the portal
2., didn''t have resources
3. isn't a very good coach
(or some combo of the 3).

We know resources aren't the problem so if we aren't playoff caliber this season, it's either #1 or #3. It shouldnt take Cristobal 4-5 years to turn the program around.

I think Cristobal is up to the task and we are in for a great season. If we are undefeated going to December, I'll try to convince my wife to name our son Mario.

3 losses means you probably lost to FSU and the gator. Or you beat one/both of them and then lost some head scratchers.

Wouldn’t be ‘OK’ for me. Considering we were a knee away from 8-4 last year, that would mean going all in yielded 1 additional W.

This.

9 wins is a failure and will not be “fine.”

We must win double-digits.

Advertisement

If we can't win at least 10 with this roster then Mario is by far the worst offender of doing less with more.

9-3 with losses to Duke, GT, and Cal and no major injuries to the starters would probably be the most on-brand Miami thing to do.

I agree. 9-3 is fine in the sense that it’s better than we’ve done in awhile, but not with the roster we have right now

I wouuld agree with a minimun 0f 10-2 but go a step further. As long as key positions stay healthy I think undefeated is acheiveable. Mario has done a creditable jon with the portal and recruiting. Now all he has to do is get out of the way of day game coaching and we make the playoffs.

Advertisement

Actually with talent we just acquired 9-3 would be unacceptable. 10+ wins or GTFOOH

Advertisement
I've got your Bottomline right here....
FB_IMG_1713478508770.jpg

9 wins.

We should have an elite offense but they haven't addressed any of the problems on defense and objectivlely we should be worse on that side of the ball next year. We lost our two starting DTs, our two starting safeties, and our CB's, which were already bad last year, we only picked up a guy from Marshall.

Totally on board with drinking the kool aid on what we did on offense. But you gotta play defense too, and we don't have the talent at DT and DB to win 10 games.

Advertisement
Back