The biggest thing holding this team back...

Advertisement
If defense could play first half as well as we have the second half we would be a much better team.

is the OL.

If Miami had a top 20 type OL, we would be beating teams a lot worse, and would be a legit top 6-7 type team.

Justice has improved the OL for sure, but we are still a major work in progress. I think the OL will be better next year, and moving forward with young talent along with the recruits Justice is bringing in.

I see and hear Cane fans complaining about Cam Harris, WR's, Blake Baker, Bradley Jennings, CB's, Safeties, Manny Diaz blah blah.

The OL is the biggest weakness by far on this team.

The defense responding 2 games in a row giving up 10 points and 10 points in the 2nd half.

VT rushed for 74 yards on 23 rushes in the 2nd half. That is elite against an elite rushing offense.

The defense had 6 TFL, 1 stuff, 4 sacks, and forced an INT in the 2nd half. Hooker was 11-20/94 yards passing/1 INT in the 2nd half. Again that is pretty elite stuff.

The OL is going to be improved next year, and it needs to make a jump.

My starting five would be:

LT-Nelson/Walker
LG-Campbell/Clark
C-Gaynor/Reed
RG-Donaldson/Seymore
RT-Scaife/Rivers

I know everyone is down on Scaife at G, and he is playing poorly there. He is a RT. He has started double digit games at RT, and played well. In fact you could make an argument he was our best OL last year when he was at RT. He isn't playing RT now as Jarrid Williams is an actual NFL prospect at RT. I think he moves back over next season, and will play much better.
I don’t want to see Clark starting again at OG. That’s a pretty good line up.

Advertisement
The biggest thing holding this team back would be the ten additional scholarship kids with experience. This impacts every position on the team especially OL and DL.

Even with the potential of losing 10 kids, we likely play with 85 in 2021. The best news is that 2022 will have some massive numbers issues for most teams leaving Miami with 25 spots and a bunch of kids leaving yet again. Our chance of a good run is 20-24! Miami has been behind in numbers since ‘12 and finally will catch up.

Note that as of today it appears the NCAA is going to let every team play with 85 plus the number of ‘20 seniors returning for ‘21. This means we will likely be able to sign 25, return 10 and play above 85. The crazy thing is that elite programs that pay players to return could play at 100-110.

I recall ND had a great OLine when the came to Hard Rock a few years ago. Oh yeah, we kicked their A$$...

This is a team sport and some games the offense carries the team, the defense has their turn, and every once and awhile all phases click and we dominate.

I will continue to enjoy every win, because they are hard to come by these days.

Go Canes 🙌🏼

Advertisement
The interior O-Line is weak. They can hold their blocks, but getting a push out of them is almost impossible. There are two guys in there that move people out of the way and they are the tackles. So play strength on the interior is a MAJOR problem.

This O-Line is also not very mobile. You cant run power or counter (or HB screens) with linemen that arent mobile. You can see that when they get off the ball. Its not really quick or explosive and they dont hammer into people.

When Zion caught that throwback screen, Traore was the blocker and he had to block someone half his size. Wisconsin is able to pancake everyone and Traore cant even pancake a S.

You wont see better results from the O-Line, especially when it comes to run blocking. Play strength is just not good enough on the interior.

And the OL will continue to be average or below average til you get some blue chip OL guys that are good.

is the OL.

If Miami had a top 20 type OL, we would be beating teams a lot worse, and would be a legit top 6-7 type team.

Justice has improved the OL for sure, but we are still a major work in progress. I think the OL will be better next year, and moving forward with young talent along with the recruits Justice is bringing in.

I see and hear Cane fans complaining about Cam Harris, WR's, Blake Baker, Bradley Jennings, CB's, Safeties, Manny Diaz blah blah.

The OL is the biggest weakness by far on this team.

The defense responding 2 games in a row giving up 10 points and 10 points in the 2nd half.

VT rushed for 74 yards on 23 rushes in the 2nd half. That is elite against an elite rushing offense.

The defense had 6 TFL, 1 stuff, 4 sacks, and forced an INT in the 2nd half. Hooker was 11-20/94 yards passing/1 INT in the 2nd half. Again that is pretty elite stuff.

The OL is going to be improved next year, and it needs to make a jump.

My starting five would be:

LT-Nelson/Walker
LG-Campbell/Clark
C-Gaynor/Reed
RG-Donaldson/Seymore
RT-Scaife/Rivers

I know everyone is down on Scaife at G, and he is playing poorly there. He is a RT. He has started double digit games at RT, and played well. In fact you could make an argument he was our best OL last year when he was at RT. He isn't playing RT now as Jarrid Williams is an actual NFL prospect at RT. I think he moves back over next season, and will play much better.
A lot of complainers no nothing about Football or haunted by the hurricanes past when they were dominating. That's all know and want to see. I for one believe the O-line is a huge problem, but Camron Harris doesn't help either. He tends to be slow developing. As far as the defense, Miami needs to stop with the stunts and just play ball. I feel like we are very reactive than proactive AND play WAY TOOO SAFE!

And the OL will continue to be average or below average til you get some blue chip OL guys that are good.
Look at the best O-line unit in the country, outside of UGA, none of them have "blue chips." VaTech, Wisconsin, etc have 2 and 3 stars on their line, but those jokers have size and that attitude

Advertisement
I agree with what's been said, but I think Covid-19 has been a Game Changer in 2020. That has to be taken into consideration as far as the overall preparedness of the team. More specifically, the offensive line.

My “greatest thing holding this team back”:

.....King being 5-9

3-4 more inches on him and his NCST performance would have been a weekly stat.

Advertisement
Back