The biggest difference between Clemson & LSU last night

Mico Jones

Positivity!
Banned
to me was footspeed on the perimeter.

LSUs WRs and Dbs just had more quickness and speed.

Higgins and Ross are big Wrs but not blazers. I think Clemson needed an element of quickness and speed at the wideout position. No Renfrow or Scott from years past to add that element. On the flip side the LSU Dbs were all faster. Grant Delpit might have been the fastest person on the field.

Clemson's CBs are tall and pretty good but they just didn't have the quicks and makeup speed to handle Chase or Jefferson on the outside.. Clemson's safeties don't have elite range. On the flip side Chase has elite quickness and Jefferson was a track star.

It brings me back to our recruiting.

We continue to have preference for size over speed at CB. I understand that you need to be able to compete for 50/50 balls but #1 your CBs need to have footspeed, quickness, change of direction, smooth hips, above all. Especially in this age of spread offenses. Your safeties need range. I think with Bolden & Hall we are finally back to championship level range. But none of our Cbs really fit the bill.

We need a burner or two on the squad at Wrs as well. You saw what a Jeff Thomas can do to a defense. Who is that elite explosive deep threat? I just don't see one.

Advertisement
Hard to tell the advantage with Xs and Os but LSU was getting guys somewhat open.. Then add in perfect throws, and sure hands. Even great dBs would have struggled.. but I did note after the OSU game that Clemsons DBs did not look that great. Im sure they added a few 5-stars to replace the two coaches sons out there.

Clemson’s OC called a bad game for the most part too.

Etienne was gashing LSU off the tackles.
When Lawrence struggled, Clemson just kept trying to pass giving LSU more plays. Recipe for LSU to score more points.

I thought Clemson got a lot less aggressive defensively when schlotzky got thrown out.

LSU was just better top to bottom. Especially at CB

But they weren’t 17 points better.

LSU would’ve won by about a TD anyways,

but IMHO the Pac12 officials ruined a great game missing the LSU going out of bounds w hand in first half and calling PI on Higgins on the Q4 TD. Also thought they could’ve used some discretion on not thrown the Clemson LB out.

Advertisement
The biggest difference between LSU and Clemson is none other than Joe Burrow. Take Joe Burrow off LSU, and Clemson wins going away. Burrow is like the college version of Joe Montana. Great pocket awareness, doesn't get rattled, accurate throws all over the field, and gives his team big plays when it really needs them. Dude was money this year. Blitzing players have him hemmed in and dead to rights, but he somehow finds a lane to squirm away and get 5-10 yards. He does nothing but demoralizes defenses.

Stingley locked up Ross but Higgins was open quite a bit and plenty fast enough to beat those LSU DBs.

The problem with Clemson is they never give Etienne enough touches. He's had greater than 15 carries just 4 times all year. He averaged 5.2 yards a carry against LSU but only got 5 total while Lawrence took 10 himself. They needed to establish the run game and keep that potent LSU offense off the field. Clemson put too much on Lawrence and he didn't come through.

Lawrence threw the ball 30+ times in 6 games this year. Of those 6 games, he only topped 300 yards once. 2 of those 6 were the playoff games against OSU and LSU. In those he threw 54.5% for 259 against OSU and 48.6% for 234 against LSU.

The biggest difference between LSU and Clemson is none other than Joe Burrow. Take Joe Burrow off LSU, and Clemson wins going away. Burrow is like the college version of Joe Montana. Great pocket awareness, doesn't get rattled, accurate throws all over the field, and gives his team big plays when it really needs them. Dude was money this year. Blitzing players have him hemmed in and dead to rights, but he somehow finds a lane to squirm away and get 5-10 yards. He does nothing but demoralizes defenses.

He’s really good. Like the joe Montana comparison.

Advertisement

When Lawrence struggled, Clemson just kept trying to pass giving LSU more plays. Recipe for LSU to score more points.

I thought Clemson got a lot less aggressive defensively when schlotzky got thrown out.

but IMHO the Pac12 officials ruined a great game missing the LSU going out of bounds w hand in first half and calling PI on Higgins on the Q4 TD. Also thought they could’ve used some discretion on not thrown the Clemson LB out.

They blew the hand OOB for sure.

They don’t get discretion on that play. He obviously used the crown of his helmet and may have even launched a bit. He screwed up. You don’t get leeway on that. It’s was pretty egregious what he did.

Higgins didn’t even complain on that play. He knew it as soon as the flag came out. They called PI against LSU on the INT so they have to call that one also. Higgins is a big dude who moved the DB too much.

The biggest difference was #8 on Clemson's defense. #1 from LSU owned his *** all night and #22 trucked and juked him on separate occasions.

They blew the hand OOB for sure.

They don’t get discretion on that play. He obviously used the crown of his helmet and may have even launched a bit. He screwed up. You don’t get leeway on that. It’s was pretty egregious what he did.

Higgins didn’t even complain on that play. He knew it as soon as the flag came out. They called PI against LSU on the INT so they have to call that one also. Higgins is a big dude who moved the DB too much.

LMAO at calling Higgins pass interference when the LSU DB is dragging his jersey while falling down bc he overran the route

21a7e720-368a-11ea-9fb5-19778826cd42

That was literally the worst call since the fiesta bowl. Actually the worst call since LSU RB planted his hand out of bounds and then scored a TD

Above link didn’t work

Higgins arms are actually down as lsu bc falls down dragging Higgins Jersey. It isn’t even a close call. You call nothing at all or pi on CB there.

I thought LSU secondary was just more physical. Laying wood all night on those Clemson receivers. Clemson wideouts wanted no part of that as the game wore on.

Advertisement
The biggest difference was the #1 pick in next years draft had more overthrows than any other QB in any game all season.

Give LSU credit. They deserved the win. But that was the worst I’ve seen Lawrence throw the ball in his whole career. By far. It wouldn’t shock me if it came out at some point that he had some sort of his issue with his hand or elbow. He was wildly inaccurate and threw more ducks in this game than he probably had all season. Bad time for your worst game ever.

Clemson OC called a horrible game and Venables knew he didnt have the talent to keep up with LSU offense. That's why he ran that wacky *** 3-1-7 Big 12 defense.

Advertisement

Was Terry Porter reffing?!

Burrow was the difference maker. Venables really came with some heat the first quarter but Burrow/Brady hit back in a variety of ways and Clemson had no answer.

Chase is an absolute BEAST. Not enough is said about this kid. He is legit. Makes everyone on the offense look better. Man.

Advertisement
Back