The bigger issues are Blake, the BOT and the University

James had the interim tag removed in 2013 after Eichorst left because the BOT were too lazy to run a national search. I'll give him credit for the Richt hire (it was a good hire at the time) but you can't say you're running a national search and then hire the outgoing DC 6 hours later. Lazy, shortsighted and completely on-brand for this athletic department and university.

You can trash Shalala all you want, but the Frenk hire was utter **** and the university has pummeled every year in the rankings since he's been at the helm. The trickle-down effect is felt in the athletic department. Our revenue-generating sports are middle of the road, at best. Facilities? Our 'world-class' football stadium is all Stephen Ross' money. The indoor was the product of Mark Richt pounding on the table for one when he got hired and putting up some of his own money to get it done. Basketball? Larranaga was a gift hire by Eichorst and was practically begging for the job. Now watch James promote Caputo when Coach L retires. Oh, and aside from the scoreboard, Watsco has had next to ZERO improvements since it opened almost 20 years ago. And don't get me started on baseball and the fact that we promoted Paul DiMare's son. But again, nepotism is synonymous with this university.

The answer - I'm not sure there is one. Blake seems to be under ZERO scrutiny whatsoever and it's complacency like this that has put us in our current state . Whether Manny is the right guy for the job remains to be seen. What I will say is that he probably has the shortest leash with this fanbase of any of his predecessors and the natives are already restless and ready to jump ship.

Advertisement
A0D8EEA8-09FC-4980-8337-3D0B3D33EA4A.png

The University is a giant patronage operation for Miami "connected" people in the 305, like a modern day version of what Tammany Hall was for the Irish. Unfortunately, the Athletic Department is captured by it too.
The sad thing is that the university is a microcosm of the city it's located in. In the 80s and 90s it was a beacon of progress and scrappiness. Now, it's a second rate symbol of nepotism and ineptitude.

i think a majority of fans have ling felt BOT is not invested in a winning team and will only react when they are embarrassed such as
Clemson game. President contract is up soon maybe we do need wholesale changes from the top down.
B.James performance has been and will continue to be a job more focused on keeping his job rather than really improving
athletic dept.

Advertisement
The University is a giant patronage operation for Miami "connected" people in the 305, like a modern day version of what Tammany Hall was for the Irish. Unfortunately, the Athletic Department is captured by it too.
I did not know Notre Dame was connected to Tammany hall! Interesting.

James had the interim tag removed in 2013 after Eichorst left because the BOT were too lazy to run a national search. I'll give him credit for the Richt hire (it was a good hire at the time) but you can't say you're running a national search and then hire the outgoing DC 6 hours later. Lazy, shortsighted and completely on-brand for this athletic department and university.

You can trash Shalala all you want, but the Frenk hire was utter **** and the university has pummeled every year in the rankings since he's been at the helm. The trickle-down effect is felt in the athletic department. Our revenue-generating sports are middle of the road, at best. Facilities? Our 'world-class' football stadium is all Stephen Ross' money. The indoor was the product of Mark Richt pounding on the table for one when he got hired and putting up some of his own money to get it done. Basketball? Larranaga was a gift hire by Eichorst and was practically begging for the job. Now watch James promote Caputo when Coach L retires. Oh, and aside from the scoreboard, Watsco has had next to ZERO improvements since it opened almost 20 years ago. And don't get me started on baseball and the fact that we promoted Paul DiMare's son. But again, nepotism is synonymous with this university.

The answer - I'm not sure there is one. Blake seems to be under ZERO scrutiny whatsoever and it's complacency like this that has put us in our current state . Whether Manny is the right guy for the job remains to be seen. What I will say is that he probably has the shortest leash with this fanbase of any of his predecessors and the natives are already restless and ready to jump ship.
WTF
No the bigger issues here are the fans that think they know their ****.

The coaches coach football, and that's it

Manny needs to do his job and get his Staff right.

You ****** idiots think we can change coaches every time we have two losses and then all of a sudden we'll be winning and be national champions. Sorry, sweetheart, it doesn't work that way.

But hey, as soon as you get ahold of the wheel and show us how it's done, I'll be willing to eat crow.

Last edited:
The sad thing is that the university is a microcosm of the city it's located in. In the 80s and 90s it was a beacon of progress and scrappiness. Now, it's a second rate symbol of nepotism and ineptitude.
I thought in the '80's the city was the beacon of drug money, drug gang violence, political corruption, etc.

That's just my impression from afar. I haven't lived in the city since 1963, rarely visited, have almost no meaningful connections or family.

Sorry if you don't like my saying so, but that's my honest impression. Of course, things like shopping center shootouts, Miami Vice TV show, etc., all feed this image, whether accurate or not.

WTF
No the bigger issues here are the fans that think they know their ****.

The coaches coach football, and that's it

Manny needs to do his job and get his Staff right.

You ****** idiots think we can change coaches every time we have two losses and then all of a sudden we'll be winning and be national champions. Sorry, sweetheart, it doesn't work that way.

But hey, as soon as you get ahold of the wheel and show us how it's done, I'll be willing to eat crow.
100% agree we cannot be changing coaches ,it creates instability and is bad for potential new hires and recruits.
need some $$$ for staff that can develop as well as recruit. looks like a lot of OJT training at the moment

Advertisement
The only was the athletic department gets fixed is a major befactor pays for it. Someone like Phil Knight at Oregon, or the late T. Boone Pickens at Oklahoma State.

Oh, I'm gonna. Don't you worry about that.

Advertisement
Back