The BEST RB on the team...

Just stopped in hoping this was a new thread about Choc Gray.

1695227164463.gif

Advertisement
Just stop it, first of all we have a great group of backs. But Parrish is the guy with Chaney and Allen 2 and 3, the freshman are promising but not as good as those top 3.

So many different rankings of who people think our best RB is & what the depth chart should be. And everyone has legitimate points.

While this is a good problem on paper - you throw Citizen in the mix in a couple weeks and it's going to be a nightmare for coaches to find a 2-3 man rotation in a backfield with 6 dudes that have a legitimate case for playing time.

Advertisement
So many different rankings of who people think our best RB is & what the depth chart should be. And everyone has legitimate points.

While this is a good problem on paper - you throw Citizen in the mix in a couple weeks and it's going to be a nightmare for coaches to find a 2-3 man rotation in a backfield with 6 dudes that have a legitimate case for playing time.
The key is keeping all of them involved though.
That is part of the reason I was so happy to see the two TB sets against TA&M. RBs that do not carry the ball can still block or eventually go out in pass routes that may be difficult for LBs to defend.
We can have so many mix -and -match packages with multiple guys out there. Maybe even three RBs out there with one spread out wide confusing the defenses even more.

We will know who the best RB on the team is and the backup after Clempson. That’s 6 games and solid game film who’s delivering and who isn’t. To me, it’s Parrish today as #1. Not sure who the backup is.

We will know who the best RB on the team is and the backup after Clempson. That’s 6 games and solid game film who’s delivering and who isn’t. To me, it’s Parrish today as #1. Not sure who the backup is.
So. Wait, you think you suddenly after the Clemson game we will no longer go running back by committee? Why?

Advertisement
The key is keeping all of them involved though.
That is part of the reason I was so happy to see the two TB sets against TA&M. RBs that do not carry the ball can still block or eventually go out in pass routes that may be difficult for LBs to defend.
We can have so many mix -and -match packages with multiple guys out there. Maybe even three RBs out there with one spread out wide confusing the defenses even more.

The 2 back sets were definitely interesting against Texas A&M. And I'm sure there's more stuff we haven't shown yet.

But the RB's only got 22 carries vs TAMU. Even with Feltcher getting hurt Chaney only got 3 carries, and Allen who's been our #2 RB didn't get a carry until the 3rd Quarter. In non-blowout games there's less carries and rotations get tighter. Coaches have to make some tough decisions.

Our RB's have 3 catches so far, and they're all from Parrish. Parrish is the only RB with a target so far this season. Will be interesting to see if that continues.

Now all this is perfectly fine when we're winning - it's just going to launch a bunch of "why didn't/aren't we using the RB's like this" type posts when we lose. And I don't think the answer will be the coaches don't know what they're doing as it'll be it's really hard to scheme for that many different RB's skill sets in different ways, especially when some games are inevitably going to go off script.

Weird stuff & rotations are bound to happen in some games this season. I'm not saying any of this is bad, it's just going to look a little weird at points. But if we keep winning, that's all that matters.

The 2 back sets were definitely interesting against Texas A&M. And I'm sure there's more stuff we haven't shown yet.

But the RB's only got 22 carries vs TAMU. Even with Feltcher getting hurt Chaney only got 3 carries, and Allen who's been our #2 RB didn't get a carry until the 3rd Quarter. In non-blowout games there's less carries and rotations get tighter. Coaches have to make some tough decisions.

Our RB's have 3 catches so far, and they're all from Parrish. Parrish is the only RB with a target so far this season. Will be interesting to see if that continues.

Now all this is perfectly fine when we're winning - it's just going to launch a bunch of "why didn't/aren't we using the RB's like this" type posts when we lose. And I don't think the answer will be the coaches don't know what they're doing as it'll be it's really hard to scheme for that many different RB's skill sets in different ways, especially when some games are inevitably going to go off script.

Weird stuff & rotations are bound to happen in some games this season. I'm not saying any of this is bad, it's just going to look a little weird at points. But if we keep winning, that's all that matters.
Even to a layman like me, there were many times when I saw a Gatass, or even Penos, play call and said “WTF was that!” I have yet to have a WTF moment with Dawson.

Advertisement
Even to a layman like me, there were many times when I saw a Gatass, or even Penos, play call and said “WTF was that!” I have yet to have a WTF moment with Dawson.
It'll happen. It's unavoidable.

Just go back to this same point 2020 and check out the lovefest for Rhett Lashlee when we started 3-0 with a 52-10 win over FSU.

I'm a big fan of Dawson. I was always a big fan of Lashlee. But they can't be perfect - and at some point Dawson is gonna eat sh*t from the fans.

All I'm saying is 6 good RB's on paper looks great. But the actuality of trying to find them each playing time and how/when to use them is really hard.

Advertisement

I'm a fan of pony personnel if you have the talent. The falcons are doing a great job with it in the NFL. It's a nice change of pace and gives you different options. Don, or another back along Chris Johnson could pose a nightmare for defenses. Sell out for the run and CJ is out on the flat and off to the races. We might see more of it in the future.

It'll happen. It's unavoidable.

Just go back to this same point 2020 and check out the lovefest for Rhett Lashlee when we started 3-0 with a 52-10 win over FSU.

I'm a big fan of Dawson. I was always a big fan of Lashlee. But they can't be perfect - and at some point Dawson is gonna eat sh*t from the fans.

All I'm saying is 6 good RB's on paper looks great. But the actuality of trying to find them each playing time and how/when to use them is really hard.
Dawson would be the first to admit he’s never called a perfect game. No one has. He’s probably never been faced with the using all the talent he has at his disposal like he has now. The true rest is upcoming as we enter into ACC play.

Advertisement
Back