"The beginnings of Greatness"

Advertisement
What killed be about that game is that on the opening drive Collins had Yatil Green wide open deep, I think twice, and overshot him.
Was it the hitch and go? I was more than half in the bag but I know the hutch and go was missed…. More than once

Advertisement
I was at the UCLA game in the Rose Bowl to start the season. Game sucked. Just seeing the Canes live was always cool for me however. I never would have guessed it was the start of the best team ever being built. Arizona State in the OB. F me. Then a few years later….

Keep forgetting LCE is a pup.

Grew up in Miami. Moved to San Diego after Hurricane Andrew. My brother wound up at Arizona State in 1995 and was an equipment manager there for the next four seasons. Had a great run in 1996 with the Plummer, Tillman, Rodgers, Poole, Battle, etc. Rose Bowl team.

He got me on the sideline for the 1997 game against Arizona State—as I'd befriended Ryan Kealy, J'Juan Cherry, J.R. Redmond, Ricky Boyer and a few of those other cats, through my brother (when I'd hang out in Tempe).

I had to wear a ASU polo to look like I was part of their staff. Sun Devils had a lead, Miami scored and I tried to be subtle in my celebration before some of the dudes I knew were on the sideline slapping me on the back telling me they had this, were gonna get one back, etc.— as they thought I was made that the Canes finally found the end zone.

Arizona State 23, Miami 12—on the heels of stomping Baylor, 45-14 in the opener in Waco.

Lost at Pitt the ensuing Thursday night (21-17), bowled over by West Virginia two weeks later (when the "Chumps to Champs" banner flew) and rolled at Florida State the following week (47-0); drove over from Gainesville to Trailerhassee for that one. Got obliterated at Potbellies that night to numb the pain.

Double overtime win at Boston College, beat Temple, rolled Arkansas State—before a 27-25 loss at Virginia Tech, an annual smackdown of Rutgers and a home loss to Syracuse.

5-6; Miami's losing season since 1979. Just brutal .... and made even worse as I was doing two years at UF to get my degree. Had to live through their 1996 national title and the Canes' horrendous 1997 campaign. (Made my return visit in 2002 to take in every second of 41-16).

Grew up in Miami. Moved to San Diego after Hurricane Andrew. My brother wound up at Arizona State in 1995 and was an equipment manager there for the next four seasons. Had a great run in 1996 with the Plummer, Tillman, Rodgers, Poole, Battle, etc. Rose Bowl team.

He got me on the sideline for the 1997 game against Arizona State—as I'd befriended Ryan Kealy, J'Juan Cherry, J.R. Redmond, Ricky Boyer and a few of those other cats, through my brother (when I'd hang out in Tempe).

I had to wear a ASU polo to look like I was part of their staff. Sun Devils had a lead, Miami scored and I tried to be subtle in my celebration before some of the dudes I knew were on the sideline slapping me on the back telling me they had this, were gonna get one back, etc.— as they thought I was made that the Canes finally found the end zone.

Arizona State 23, Miami 12—on the heels of stomping Baylor, 45-14 in the opener in Waco.

Lost at Pitt the ensuing Thursday night (21-17), bowled over by West Virginia two weeks later (when the "Chumps to Champs" banner flew) and rolled at Florida State the following week (47-0); drove over from Gainesville to Trailerhassee for that one. Got obliterated at Potbellies that night to numb the pain.

Double overtime win at Boston College, beat Temple, rolled Arkansas State—before a 27-25 loss at Virginia Tech, an annual smackdown of Rutgers and a home loss to Syracuse.

5-6; Miami's losing season since 1979. Just brutal .... and made even worse as I was doing two years at UF to get my degree. Had to live through their 1996 national title and the Canes' horrendous 1997 campaign. (Made my return visit in 2002 to take in every second of 41-16).
We had absolutely no depth in 95-96....We took a loss of 11 schollies right off the bat in 95....Butch wanted to get it over as soon as possible. He knew it was going to be a tough battle....BUT...He never wavered in his belief that eventually things would be A-Okay.

Ahh him being on the 95 roster kinda gives it away. Or atleast I think. Think most of us were under the impression he was on the 2001 team.

Advertisement
@AUcane ....just outside of their office in 98
FB_IMG_1661719876537.jpg

Advertisement
I walked those halls many times In the early-mid 90s. Even saw their big recruiting board with name rankings in one of the rooms. Lol

Still remember one of the top names on that board - terry doctor.
@AUcane ....believe it or not, the person I miss the most (and I miss alot of them) is Butch's Administrative Asst Myrna Schneider.....I miss and Loved her so very much. I think she retired in 2013...was an Asst. to Saban...then Admin. Asst. from Howard to Golden. She'll never get the credit she so very much deserves. @Brooklyndee knows how much she meant to the program.

We had absolutely no depth in 95-96....We took a loss of 11 schollies right off the bat in 95....Butch wanted to get it over as soon as possible. He knew it was going to be a tough battle....BUT...He never wavered in his belief that eventually things would be A-Okay.
While inventing the grayshirt and flipping track schollies. Nothing to stop the bleeding. I don't think the youngsters truly appreciate how he worked around sanctions.

When Miami gave FSU everything they could handle and more at Doak, I specifically remembering Bowden in shock during the post game. He thought it was going to be another 5 years before we were going to really challenge them.

While inventing the grayshirt and flipping track schollies. Nothing to stop the bleeding. I don't think the youngsters truly appreciate how he worked around sanctions.

When Miami gave FSU everything they could handle and more at Doak, I specifically remembering Bowden in shock during the post game. He thought it was going to be another 5 years before we were going to really challenge them.
@Pentagon Cane .....Funny and true story....in 1998 I went to a Food Convention in Tallahassee (I was an Executive Sous Chef at the Sandestin Bch Hilton) and 3 of us went to this Convention. I stopped at a CircleK off of Appalachee, and there's Bowden emptying a small bag of peanuts into an RC Cola. This was soon after they beat us...but it was much closer than people realize. We spoke for a good 10mins after I introduced myself, and explained I had a relative on UMs staff. He preceded to tell me (I'll never, ever forget it) that UM is in Good hands....and it was highly obvious during the game.

Advertisement
@AUcane ....believe it or not, the person I miss the most (and I miss alot of them) is Butch's Administrative Asst Myrna Schneider.....I miss and Loved her so very much. I think she retired in 2013...was an Asst. to Saban...then Admin. Asst. from Howard to Golden. She'll never get the credit she so very much deserves. @Brooklyndee knows how much she meant to the program.
Without moms ALOT of us would've been lost. She was one of the only people we could talk to about anything other than football. I love & miss her to this day.

What killed be about that game is that on the opening drive Collins had Yatil Green wide open deep, I think twice, and overshot him.
Man…Yatil Green! As talented as any WR we‘ve had. Often had hamstring problems, IIRC. And then his 1st-round pick Dolphins career was over in the blink of any eye with a severe knee injury in his first day at training camp. Torn quad, ACL, and meniscus. Repeat same injury the following pre-season.

Career Stats: 18-234-0 touchdowns

I was at this game, as a resident of LA, to see my Canes in the Rose Bowl was surreal

When Earl Little muffed that punt, that basically was the game. You could see our whole sideline and team deflate. Ray Lewis kept playing, though

Fast forward to the 2002 Rose Bowl and to see UM play and win the national title in my home city/region was incredible

Advertisement
Back