The attendance issues in two articles

Advertisement
Read here http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1814887-where-did-all-the-college-football-fans-go

and here http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304795804579097223907738780

Its what people have been saying, at least those who pay attention. HD tv options, unable to connect socially, and the current students at all institutions not really into spending Saturdays inside the stadium.

to be fair students have attended well this year according to chris freet.

Advertisement
If College students don't go to college football games because they can't text, Instagram, or tweet, we have bigger issues than attendance and that's a whole generation of ******* pussies.

Shut the **** up with this attendance whining bull****.

If you want to go to the game, go. If you don't, don't ******* go.

If College students don't go to college football games because they can't text, Instagram, or tweet, we have bigger issues than attendance and that's a whole generation of ****ing pussies.

At least 70% of all college students are *** and hate football. I read that somewhere. Seriously.

Advertisement
If College students don't go to college football games because they can't text, Instagram, or tweet, we have bigger issues than attendance and that's a whole generation of ****ing pussies.

At least 70% of all college students are *** and hate football. I read that somewhere. Seriously.

Have you seen all the hipster fruitcakes in high school and college?
Scary.

I thought the attendance yesterday was fine. Quite loud, and certainly a larger crowd than we would typically expect for that level of opponent.

The mistake was too much optimism based on the promotion, which led to decisions like removing the tarps. Lots of people were sitting where there normally wouldn't be any seating at all. And the situational variable of a noon game is going to impact attendance.

I thought the attendance yesterday was fine. Quite loud, and certainly a larger crowd than we would typically expect for that level of opponent.

The mistake was too much optimism based on the promotion, which led to decisions like removing the tarps. Lots of people were sitting where there normally wouldn't be any seating at all. And the situational variable of a noon game is going to impact attendance.

I was at the game (been to all the home games and the USF game, I have season tix) and I agree with this. It was a nice turn out and got VERY loud at the critical points of the game.

I was at the game (been to all the home games and the USF game, I have season tix) and I agree with this. It was a nice turn out and got VERY loud at the critical points of the game.

I'll say what's been said a thousand times if Miami had an appropriately sized stadium for their size institution about 55k attendance would never be talked about.

Advertisement
IF this is hitting the SEC, than a city/program like Miami have no chance...

K9, did you see the pic of the USC game right before kickoff? Horrifying if I was the AD. And the TCU pic in the article... this is happening at more and more places. Cincinnati was playing the other day and the camera angle caught the "crowd", I did a double take, it was maybe 1/4 full. AD's behind the scenes are in full panic mode. The baby boomers that currently hold the seats will need to be bought by Gen X and then Gen Y very quickly, and those two show little interest in doing so. I cant wait to see UF's attendance for the Georgia Southern game after they lose to Georgia and USCe, it will be worse than that game last year when the stadium was 1/3 full.

It really just boils down to economics. People don't want to drop $1000 for parking/tickets/travel to go watch a game live. They could fill the stadiums if they want to (in most cases) and eventually will be forced to lower ticket prices, concessions,parking dramatically. Our attendance has always sucked, so this isn't really a new problem.

14.jpg:large

Last edited:
If this is legit, UGA has some pretty lame *** students; at least ours can complain about having to take a 45 minute bus ride. From the comments...

1.png
Michael Smith posted 10 days agoContributor I

I just graduated from UGA recently and I will tell you exactly why student attendence has taken a nose dive. It isn't the price because home football tickets for students are only $8 a game. There are several other factors that have turned students away.

1) First of all, they changed their student ticket policy about 4-5 years ago and took away paper tickets. Instead, the give you an "e-ticket", where you must swipe your student ID card in order to use the ticket. This ****ed off a lot of people because we could no longer sell our tickets if we couldn't make the game.

2) Since you cannot sell your ticket, if you cannot attend the game, you have to donate (you don't get your money back) the ticket back to the University so they can re-sell it to someone else for another $8.

3) A few years ago they came up with the stupid "strike" rule to bully students into using their tickets. If you had a ticket and did not donate or use it, you got a "strike". If you get three strikes, you can no longer receieve athletic tickets for the rest of your college career.

4) Last year they started giving Freshman priority over upper classmen. This moronic decision doesn't need an explanation.

5) Going back to the paperless tickets problem. You aren't assigned a seat anymore and it is first-come-first-serve. This forces you to show up when the gates open and sit for and hour and a half to two hours before the game starts. Now, I don't really know who wants to sit outside in the middle of August or Septemeber when it is 90-95 degrees with the humidity of the South is smothering you.

6) Performacne is an issue. UGA usually falls on its face 1-2 times per year and couple that with 12 or 12:30 kickoffs and it's harder to show up with enthusiasm. Ask any studnet and he/she will tell you that they are more likely to show up for a night game than a mid-morning/afternoon game. Right or wrong, it's just how it is.

7) On hot days people usually try to stay hydrated. But in Athens and most college games, you better drink all you can before and after the game. They don't let you bring your own water or even have a water fountain in the stadium like some places do (Turner Field) and they charge you an arm and a leg for concessions.

These are only a few reasons but it's enougth for a lot of students to refuse giving their money to the athletic department.

Number 5 did crack me up.

Advertisement
If this is legit, UGA has some pretty lame *** students; at least ours can complain about having to take a 45 minute bus ride. From the comments...

1.png
Michael Smith posted 10 days agoContributor I

I just graduated from UGA recently and I will tell you exactly why student attendence has taken a nose dive. It isn't the price because home football tickets for students are only $8 a game. There are several other factors that have turned students away.

1) First of all, they changed their student ticket policy about 4-5 years ago and took away paper tickets. Instead, the give you an "e-ticket", where you must swipe your student ID card in order to use the ticket. This ****ed off a lot of people because we could no longer sell our tickets if we couldn't make the game.

2) Since you cannot sell your ticket, if you cannot attend the game, you have to donate (you don't get your money back) the ticket back to the University so they can re-sell it to someone else for another $8.

3) A few years ago they came up with the stupid "strike" rule to bully students into using their tickets. If you had a ticket and did not donate or use it, you got a "strike". If you get three strikes, you can no longer receieve athletic tickets for the rest of your college career.

4) Last year they started giving Freshman priority over upper classmen. This moronic decision doesn't need an explanation.

5) Going back to the paperless tickets problem. You aren't assigned a seat anymore and it is first-come-first-serve. This forces you to show up when the gates open and sit for and hour and a half to two hours before the game starts. Now, I don't really know who wants to sit outside in the middle of August or Septemeber when it is 90-95 degrees with the humidity of the South is smothering you.

6) Performacne is an issue. UGA usually falls on its face 1-2 times per year and couple that with 12 or 12:30 kickoffs and it's harder to show up with enthusiasm. Ask any studnet and he/she will tell you that they are more likely to show up for a night game than a mid-morning/afternoon game. Right or wrong, it's just how it is.

7) On hot days people usually try to stay hydrated. But in Athens and most college games, you better drink all you can before and after the game. They don't let you bring your own water or even have a water fountain in the stadium like some places do (Turner Field) and they charge you an arm and a leg for concessions.

These are only a few reasons but it's enougth for a lot of students to refuse giving their money to the athletic department.

Number 5 did crack me up.

The word "******" comes to mind.

May be a ****** but if his opinion is shared by many the business better be listening to their customer.

IMO the 70-80,000 seat stadium is a dinosaur for pro sports and might be for college as well. There are so many issues trying to properly attend to this many people, plus the comfort of seating will just never be there unless a monstrosity like Jerry World becomes the standard. Comfort, which is a realistic expectation when dishing out 100s of dollars, is an impossible task.

Going forward, as soft as it may sound, there will be a need/demand for more box seating, suites and club-level type amenities. Save the upper deck for traditional seating as well as standing-room only. The Seattle bid for the Kings was an interesting concept, and eventhough it's an arena vs stadium the basis remains the same. Less is more especially as we're seeing the supply exceeds the demand.

"I can't imagine watching football without twitter" really brought home how out of touch I am.

Advertisement
Back