The Alumni Game

shoeless

Retired staff
Premium
The alumni game was today. Some interesting notes.

-Ruiz was DH today as he has a sore shoulder and may not play against Rutgers.
-Romy Gonzalez played 2nd base, which is something I hinted at in order to get his bat in the lineup.
-Veliz played 1st base as Barr is also dealing with an injury.
-Our outfield today was Burns, Chester, Tackett. Not sure if Davison played as I only was able to pay attention to beginning, maybe someone else can chime in.
-Michelangeli hit a bomb and was in the cleanup spot.

Advertisement
Jesse Lepore served as the University of Miami’s midweek starting pitcher last season.

Michael Mediavilla was the Saturday-night guy.

Both are preseason All-Americans, but each will begin the 2017 opening series against Rutgers pitching in a new spot.
Coach Jim Morris said Sunday that Mediavilla (11-2, 3.40 ERA in 2016), a left-handed junior from Hialeah, will now be the No. 3 pitcher for Sunday afternoon games.

Lepore (9-0, 2.20 in 2016), a right-handed junior from Beverly Hills, Florida, has earned the top spot to face the Scarlet Knights at 7 p.m. Friday.

The Saturday starter will be newcomer Jeb Bargfeldt, a junior-college transfer from Cisco College in Texas. The left-handed Bargfeldt, 6-0 and 175 pounds, was 11-1 with a 4.45 ERA in 18 appearances (91 innings) last season. He struck out 120 and led Cisco to the Junior College World Series.

“Jesse Lepore pitched better than anybody this fall and spring and he deserves to pitch Friday night,’’ Morris told the Miami Herald. “That’s the bottom line. Jeb pitched really well, too, our second-best guy in the rotation. They’re getting what they deserve.

“Mediavilla has been struggling a little bit with location, but he has good stuff and he’ll be fine.’’

The midweek starter this season will be right-handed freshman Gregory Veliz, who played at North Broward Prep and was rated the No. 19 player in Florida by Perfect Game.

With all-time UM saves leader (43) Bryan Garcia now with the Detroit Tigers organization, Morris said he will start the season using two talented pitchers to compete for the closer’s spot: 2016 Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American Frankie Bartow (6-0, 2.72) and fellow sophomore Andrew Cabezas (3-1, 5.07) – both righties.

“Cabezas pitches well enough to be a starter or reliever,’’ Morris said. “But we’re starting him in the pen with Bartow.’’

Read more here: UM Hurricanes coach Jim Morris shuffles starting rotation, reveals battle for closer | Miami Herald

I've been saying since jump that Cabezas is a reliever. His whole game is frisbee slider after frisbee slider.

Glad they are leaving him in a role he can be successful.

Saw Bargfeldt in person his freshman year and he has come a long way. Still surprised he's in a weekend rotation for Miami, but Morris always gets the most out of this type of pitcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping Bartow wins closer role because I think Cabezas could be a great innings eater. We need studstill to rise up, Cooper to get healthy, and someone like McKendry to be serviceable.

I'm hoping Bartow wins closer role because I think Cabezas could be a great innings eater. We need studstill to rise up, Cooper to get healthy, and someone like McKendry to be serviceable.

The one reason I wouldn't mind someone else winning the closer role is the fact that Bartow is really good and having someone like him available for situations besides just to close games out would be nice. Cooper Hammond is outstanding when he's healthy.

Bartow had a 3.72 FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching), while Cabezas was at 3.85. Bryan Garcia finished at 3.10, for reference.

This team will need to survive on pitching, defense, and speed.

Advertisement
Saw Bargfeldt in person his freshman year and he has come a long way. Still surprised he's in a weekend rotation for Miami, but Morris always gets the most out of this type of pitcher.

Translation: we have another soft tossing lefty who will confuse Duke and Wake Forest but will get obliterated if we back our way into Omaha again.

anyone other than me hate reading the baseball board because of this Jagr D-BAG. He spends more time trashing the canes that saying something good about them. So in response to his last 2 smart *** remarks to Hurricane Vision. Morris does get the most out of these type guys and if he cant get it done Cabezas will pick up a game in the pinch if need be. And pitching defense and speed is what we will lean on. I for one am fired up for Friday night. Haven't been this excited in a while

Advertisement
anyone other than me hate reading the baseball board because of this Jagr D-BAG. He spends more time trashing the canes that saying something good about them. So in response to his last 2 smart *** remarks to Hurricane Vision. Morris does get the most out of these type guys and if he cant get it done Cabezas will pick up a game in the pinch if need be. And pitching defense and speed is what we will lean on. I for one am fired up for Friday night. Haven't been this excited in a while

I haven't insulted anyone on this board. If you continue to violate board rules I will report you.

Put her on ignore and move along. If you can't, just don't quote her and the board is fine.

Yes it gets old. Especially when college baseball talk is so small as it is and then when you get some, it's ruined. Definitely ignore or you will hear something negative every time we give up a run, or even a basehit.

Lot of questions defensively in he infield. No idea what to expect from Gali, Romy, Veliz.

Advertisement
Yes it gets old. Especially when college baseball talk is so small as it is and then when you get some, it's ruined. Definitely ignore or you will hear something negative every time we give up a run, or even a basehit.

Don't exaggerate just to make a point. The complaining comes as a result of 15 years of futility. We won't get to play Boston College and Virginia Wesleyan in the Super Regionals every year.

Not sure of what Romy can do with the glove but in the few games he played early the kid had a cannon for sure.

In my opinion, the season hinges on the transfers (and our new catcher). If they are as good as advertised, then it could be a special year. Arteaga is one of the best in the business as far as am concerned. Really happy with the team's performance during the past two years and am hopeful for an even better showing this year. Hopefully, Romy's 'bat' improves. Chester, Michelangeli, Ruiz, Barr and Batista are a great nucleus.

I think the key to our pitching is Lepore's health. If he can pitch for the entire season, we will have a sterling pitching corps. People forget about Sosa, but he was a solid starter for us prior to his injury. It also sounds like Bargfeldt is an Ace.

[One favor. Please do not quote or show any posts from the Key West 'tranny'. ]

Advertisement

Not a problem for me, I have him on ignore.

Advertisement
Back