The Agent of 10-Win Coach has contacted UM !

Cane2

Band
Banned
"I’ve already heard from the agent for one coach who has won 10 games in a season and had considerable success; he conveyed to me his client’s interest. (Sorry, I was asked not to use his name).flasportsbuzz

Would UM make a move in-season, without the ability to speak to currently-employed coaches until at least late November and no clear interim coach on staff? Would immediate change bring more momentum to UM’s final five games, save a top-10 recruiting class and get fans fired up about next year?

If Golden is let go, here are a few candidates that would make sense for UM to consider (in alphabetical order):

chudzinski.jpg
Chudzinski
Rob Chudzinski, associate head coach, Indianapolis Colts: If Indy fires Chuck Pagano (another former Cane; he coached defensive backs from 1995-2000), the 2014 UM Sports Hall of Famer could come home. The 47-year-old’s head coaching resume is not long – he was fired by the Cleveland Browns after one season, 2013 – but has plenty of experience at UM (player 1986-90, graduate assistant 1994-95, tight ends 1996-2000, offensive coordinator 2001-03). He remains very popular among his contemporaries and could potentially bring in a who’s-who of assistants from several eras. (Pagano is an interesting name to consider as well.)

cristobal-mug.jpg
Cristobal
Mario Cristobal, offensive line coach, Alabama: A favorite of UM alum and Fox Sports writer Bruce Feldman, who says he’s the “most viable option,” The 45-year-old won two titles as an offensive lineman at Miami (1989-92). Developed a reputation as a strong South Florida recruiter when he took FIU (0-12 the year before he took over) to its first winning season (7-6 in 2010) and Sun Belt Conference championship. Was fired in 2012 after going 3-9 – a move some saw as an overreaction by AD Pete Garcia. It left him with a 27-47 mark. He was hired by Golden in Jan. 2013 as tight ends coach and associate head coach, but left for Alabama six weeks later. (Feldman, by the way, admits Jimmy Johnson is his pipe-dream candidate).

davis-mug.jpg
Davis
Butch Davis, longtime college coach and current ESPN analyst: Few, if any, potential candidates would have the resume of Davis, who was UM’s defensive line coach under Jimmy Johnson (1984-88), followed him to the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys and returned to resurrect the Hurricanes from the nadir of NCAA trouble. He was 51-20 at UM from 1995-2000. Larry Coker guided the 2001 Hurricanes — the team Davis constructed — to one of the greatest seasons in college football history. Potential negatives are his age (63) and the way his four-year tenure ended at North Carolina (fired in 2011 amid NCAA scandal; Davis was never mentioned or implicated). Seems to have the most fan support, and those close to Davis say he would be interested in returning.

fuentes-mug.jpgs
Fuente
Justin Fuente or Tom Herman, Herman.jpgHot Young Coaches Du Jour: Fuente, 39, who makes $1.4 million annually at Memphis, is due a major raise after going 17-3 in his last 20 games. Herman, 40, who has Houston (7-0) rolling in his first season, earns $1.35 million this season. Both will be considered by any major school looking for a coach. As of Saturday, that list includes four major programs (USC, Illinois, South Carolina and Maryland). By the end of the season, Miami could be joined by Virginia, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Rutgers or others. Another hot young name: after the Golden era, would UM go for another MAC success story like Toledo’s Matt Campbell (35, and making $495,000)?

schiano-mug.jpg
Schiano
Greg Schiano, former college and NFL coach: Hasn’t coached since he was fired by the Tampa Bay Buccanaeers in 2013. Spent two seasons (1999-2000) under Davis as Miami’s defensive coordinator, during which UM was ranked 12th and fifth in points per game. Spent the next 11 seasons at Rutgers. The 49-year-old has expressed interest in returning to Miami, according to sources close to him. Has a gruff, no-nonsense manner that doesn’t always play well. Has admitted he could improve his personality, which would help him fundraise and such things a coach at a small, private school must do.

stoops-mug.jpg
Stoops
Mark Stoops, Kentucky coach: A promising 4-2 in Lexington (entering Saturday) after going 7-17 in his first two seasons. Stoops left a job as Florida State’s defensive coordinator, where he had been since 2009, to coach UK. Would the 48-year-old return to Coral Gables, where he was defensive backs coach under Larry Coker from 2001-03? A person close to Stoops said he still has property in the area and would likely consider the job if offered. One of the better South Florida recruiters on this list. Would UM, which pays Golden $2.54 million per year, pay him at least the $3.25 million he makes at Kentucky?

For those who want to vote for Butch Davis or any other other, please do so below:
Miami Hurricanes football: 7 coaches who could replace Al Golden | Canes Watch

EXTERNAL REACTION FROM TWITTER

### Former UM great Joaquin Gonzalez ranted on Twitter all day, imploring James to fire Golden: "I'm so embarrassed! [MENTION=89]canes[/MENTION]AllAccess (James). I would take his headset at halftime!! Do not wait until end of season, make a statement dammit!!!!!... I'm done holding my tongue! This guy needs to leave South Florida....I will buy his plane ticket!!! Economy!!!"

### Warren Sapp: “Thank you ABC. #Fire Him.”

### Bryant McKinnie: “Time to head in a new direction as a program, enough is enough & I sat back & have been patient & quiet long enough. Bunch of former players feel the same, so I’m not speaking just for myself… School needs to start with lifting that stupid ban, of not allowing former players on the sideline.”

### Denzel Perryman: “Embarrassing. This is the emptiest I’ve ever seen that parking lot.”

### Leon Searcy: “Al Golden can’t go on [the] bus. Tell that MF to get a Uber.”

### Seantrel Henderson: “Make football fun again for these kids. Smh. We went to Death Valley and dominated Clemson. Now this...come on man.”

### Bennie Blades: "WORST LOSS IN SCHOOL HISTORY" = #UNACCEPTABLE !!! I'm very disappointed for #TheU , our [MENTION=5266]CanesFootball[/MENTION] program and the long suffering fans!"

### Allen Bailey tweeted a picture of Golden in a dumpster.

### Former Dolphins star: Patrick Surtain: ”I’m at the UM game & this dude playing 2 high safeties down 21-0. SMH. Defense is all about competition..make them compete!!! Blitz somebody.”

### ABC's Kirk Herbstreit, a big Golden advocate, acknowledged that Golden is “in trouble.”

### Carlos Curbelo, who represents District 26 in the U.S. House: “A new low for Canes football --- an absolute embarrassment for what was once a great program. Anybody at the University of Miami care to try to save it?”

### Incidentally, Rivals.com insists these schools recruited comparable talent in recent years --- though it obviously didn’t look that like. From 2012-2014, Rivals.com rated UM’s classes 9th, 20th, and 12th, and Clemson’s classes 14th, 14th and 13th.

Advertisement
Fuente is a ten win coach. That sounds good. But he's the third coach on the list. Butch or Herman, then Fuente. The rest of that list can be thrown in the trash where it belongs.

probably Schiano, tho he won 11 games one season. Just about anybody's better than AG, but Schiano's not what we need imo

### Former Dolphins star: Patrick Surtain: ”I’m at the UM game & this dude playing 2 high safeties down 21-0. SMH. Defense is all about competition..make them compete!!! Blitz somebody.”

yessir this man sees it too

Last edited:
Advertisement
key words there "HAD CONSIDERABLE SUCCESS"

soo that person is not coaching at this moment.

Mack Brown

Advertisement

First, Butch Davis is ON the list !

That is a BIG THING; it blows all the idiots with agenda that Butch Davis is untouchable.

Second, with a list like that, which has some quality on it, you still can't tell me that anyone of these other guys could even hold Butch jock strap.

Rod ain't coming as he's staying in the League. The two new hot young pubs don't have the experience of running a Power 5 program, and their experience with success at the lower conference doesn't guarantee that they can equally win at this level nor would they have the knowledge to fill their staffs with the best coaches; coaches capable to become Head Coaches. (One reason it's hard to fire Golden&D'Onobrio mid season is, really, who is left to really be capable to step up to the mike with Football knowledge and communicative skills to deal with the Press .... ....... ........ ....... ..... ...... ...... ....... exactly, nobody! ) Bottom line UM at this point of have secured no success for the past 15 can't afford non-guaranteed coaches.

Schianno...dude never won big in the big easy, and choked when all the marble were on the line.... and he turned his back on UM when we needed him. Lots of people won't forgive him for forcing UM to go to second choicee...and we know how that turned out.

Mario Cristobal.... risky undertaking ! no sure thing,

While Mark Stoops is a liveliest one there from a known entity of a Power 5 conference team, to get him away from Kentucky may not be easy, and may must generate a bidding war; one UM would not be keen to win.

Finally, Butch Davis is the only one that has 1.) Head Coaching experience in both the League and in the NCAA while competing/winning National Championships and Super Bowl in both the NCAA and the NFL, respectively, and 2.) absolutely the ONLY one that has put together the best collegiate staff with a most productive tree. With him truly on the list, there is no conceivable reason why anyone who cares about winning would not grant him the position of Head Coach.

For those who want to vote for Butch Davis or any other other, please do so below:
Miami Hurricanes football: 7 coaches who could replace Al Golden | Canes Watch

Advertisement
If we hire Chud, Mario, or Schiano we might as well shut down the program. Miami needs to hit a homerun on this search or I'm afraid we're done.

Advertisement
This may be delusional, but at least as an excercise I start with Meyer, Saban, Peterson....until I get to my coach. Don't start with the conventional candidates or you may miss someone. Herman and Fuentes appear to be good, but really do a search.

This may be delusional, but at least as an excercise I start with Meyer, Saban, Peterson....until I get to my coach. Don't start with the conventional candidates or you may miss someone. Herman and Fuentes appear to be good, but really do a search.

While I agree with your premise, what over the past few years makes you feel like anyone in the athletics department or on the BOT actually knows how to really do a search? Do you recall the candidates the last time we went through this? Marc Trestman was actually on the list of candidates who apparently was interviewed....that should tell you a lot about what we're in line for once AG is gone in a few weeks. It may not be very pretty.

If I recall correctly UM said they were hiring the Chuck Neinas coaches search firm last time around (or were about to do so) when good old Kirby happened to meet Golden & his 300 page binder at some coaches gathering in NYC. Shalala then latched onto his clean image in the wake of the Shapiro mess, Kirby bolted for the door & the rest is history.

While I agree with your premise, what over the past few years makes you feel like anyone in the athletics department or on the BOT actually knows how to really do a search? Do you recall the candidates the last time we went through this? Marc Trestman was actually on the list of candidates who apparently was interviewed....that should tell you a lot about what we're in line for once AG is gone in a few weeks. It may not be very pretty.

Advertisement
Back