The 4th and 9 play as an example of Route Issues

View as article
Not saying thank you Golden, just saying FSU is way deeper and more talented. They got Cook, Rudolph, and Lane. We did not. They got Joyner, Davonte Freeman, Benjamin, etc. we did not. Winston is a 5 star Heisman winner, but you didn't mention him. Kaaya is great, but he is a true freshman statue. How about OL? Other than Flowers and McDermot, what big name upper classmen do we have? Deon Bush is great, but Ramsey is a monster.

Okay Here is FSU's line up vs ours based on rivals:

Us

QB: 4* Kaaya: TRUE FRESHMAN who is playing way better than he should be. +1 to the coaches
RB: 5* Duke Johnson: Has met and exceeded expectations his whole career. Good job coaches getting and developing this kid into a workhorse.
FB: 2* Walter Tucker: Has played great this season. Good job finding an athlete and putting him at FB coaches.
WR: 3* Phillip Dorsett: Great for a 3* WR. Fastest WR in the country. Good job coaches making him a complete player.
WR: 4* Stacey Coley: Has regressed this year
WR: 3* Herb Waters: Is solid, but can't quite break out.
TE: 3* Clive Walford: Came in as a poor player, but has become very good. Good job coaches developing this kid.
LT: 4* Erick Flowers: Has been very good, but not great.
LG: 3* Nick Linder: This is telling, we have to start a true freshman 3* LG!!! He's been good though!
C: 3* Shane McDermott: Solid Center. Has consistently gotten better, good job coaches.
RG: 3* Jonathan Feliciano: Solid lineman. Has gotten much better this year. Good job coaches.
RT: 4* Trevor Darling: We have to start another true freshman because of lack of depth and injuries. He is okay right now, but will probably get much better.
DE: 4* Anthony Chickilo: Is solid, but not great. Too slow for DE. Probably should be inside, but is better this year than last.
DE: 4* Tyriq McCord: Is also solid, but not great. Isn't much better than last year IMO, but this may be due to having no DT's.
DT: 3* Calvin Heurtelou: Is an okay gap filling DT.
DT: 3* Olsen Pierre: Is okay, but not athletic enough to be better. Coaches have made both DT's serviceable.
LB: 3* Denzel Perryman: Is a beast. Coaches have made him continually bigger and better.
LB: 4* Raphael Kirby: Is a solid LB. He wasn't good last year, but seems to be improving. Good job coaches.
LB: 0* Thurston Armbrister: Is a feel good story. We were his only offer, but the coaches have made him a good college LB with a chance to make an NFL roster.
S: 4* Deon Bush: Really good player. Seems to be getting better as of late, so coaches are developing him to.
S: 0* Nantumbu Fentress: Our Rudy. Lots of heart, but not much height or talent. Coaches have made him serviceable.
CB: 4* Artie Burns: Good player. Would like to see coaches develop him more though.
CB: 3* Ladarius Gunter: Good player, seems to have plateaued though.

A few things to note about us:

-Now we have 5* Chad Thomas who hasn't been much of a factor b/c he is a true freshman baby, 5* Tracy Howard who is a rotational player, and, and solid 3* corner Anthony Crawford. 4* Jamal Crawford is athletic, but is not a good football player yet. We are also missing 3* Rayshawn Jenkins. 2* Ufomba Kamalu is a solid contributor on the DL as well. 4* Jermaine Grace has gained weight and is on a roll too. Kudos to coaching for this one too. On offense, 4* Joseph Yearby has been solid, but nothing extraordinary yet.
-I didn't account for the kickers. If we switched kickers with FSU, we win easily.
-Player development seems very good minus DL and DB's with the outlier being Stacy Coley.

So in total we have:

5*=3
4*=12
3*=11
2*=2
0*=2

Keep in mind that IMO stars don't mean anything because Golden has our lesser rated players playing as well as FSU's higher rated players. We outgained them and would have won if it were not for the kicking game, a few bad bounces, bad calls, dropped int/td, and Dobard's fumble.

Now for FSU:

QB: 5* Heisman Winner
RB: 5* Karlos Williams
RB: 5* Dalvin Cook
WR: 5* Travis Rudolph
WR: 3* Jesus Wilson
WR: 4* Rashad Greene
WR: 5* Ermon Lane
TE: 4* Nick O' Leary
LT: 4* True Freshman Roderick Johnson
LG: 4* Josue Matias
C: 3* Cameron Irving
RG: 3* Tre Jackson
RT: 4* Bobby Hart
DE: 3* Lorenzo Featherston
DE: 5* Mario Edwards
DT: 4* Derrick Mitchell
DT: 5* Eddie Goldman
LB: 4* Chris Casher
LB: 3* Terrance Smith
LB: 4* Reggie Northrup
CB: 4* Ronald Darby (Sucks)
CB: 4* P.J. Williams
S: 3* Tyler Hunter
S: 5* Jalen Ramsey

So, without even counting FSU's "role" players like I did for us, FSU has:

5*=8 (vs our 3)
4*=10
3*=6

Note, I think we are about equal to FSU in terms of how our players are actually playing. We were just as good the other night, but made too many mistakes to beat a team that is so talented and USED TO WINNING WITH THE HEISMAN WINNER AT QB!!! Note the talent difference at DT and remember FSU's best DT, 4* Niles Lawerence-Stample is out for the year.

One of the best posts i have seen

Advertisement
Nice post but the analyst was wrong. Great play call by Jame Coley but terrible execution by Brad Kayaa. The Dorsett route took 3 defenders with him. Kayaa made the wrong read. All he had to do was allow his underneath routes to open up.

The play designed cleared the entire middle of the field. This is where Brad must improve. Stacey does not get many catches because Brad never allows the play to develop. If Brad simply allowed Stacey to clear the defense he would have big plays.

Also a terrible route ran by Waters. The DB lined up wrong and all he had to do was sale the deep route and stick his cut across the filed and he would have been wide open.

What in the heck are you talking about? Stacy to clear what? DB didn't line up wrong on Waters. How do you "sell" the deep route when you're running a designed quick in? Walford was smothered.

That was your standard read route. The DB lined up on Waters wrong and he should have made him pay for it. If Brad would have waited he has waters streaking wide open and that was the reason Waters was so upset after the play. Kayaa went the wrong way.

It was a great play call because either the safety and LB jumps the underneath routes leaving Dorsett man to man on the post or the jump the post leaving the entire middle of the field open. FSU jumped the Dorsett route and if brad had waited he had Waters wide open.

Stacy is having a bad year because his QB simply does not throw it to him. Brad does not like to stand in the pocket at the point in his career. Stacy is open a lot but brad likes the underneath routes

Both corners lined up exactly the same way on the inside shoulder with inside leverage. Unless you know the actual playcall, I'm skeptical of your guess. I don't know the playcall, but I'm telling you exactly what was seen on the video. If you want to actually jump in with some detail, perhaps it'd further the discussion. You're not even mentioning the route Waters ran or the fact he was facing inside leverage AND a Safety over the top literally standing at the sticks. Whether or not it was a read route, it's odd that it would be a primary read for Kaaya on that play because he literally never even peeked over. He was completely fixated on the Walford/Dorsett combo in the middle.

As for the Stacy stuff, that's neither here nor there on this play. I don't necessarily disagree about Brad's preferences. He's going to throw the ball in rhythm right now until he gets more comfortable and willing to improvise. I've mentioned how his next evolution is to climb and slide in the pocket to extend plays.

Last edited:
Nice post but the analyst was wrong. Great play call by Jame Coley but terrible execution by Brad Kayaa. The Dorsett route took 3 defenders with him. Kayaa made the wrong read. All he had to do was allow his underneath routes to open up.

The play designed cleared the entire middle of the field. This is where Brad must improve. Stacey does not get many catches because Brad never allows the play to develop. If Brad simply allowed Stacey to clear the defense he would have big plays.

Also a terrible route ran by Waters. The DB lined up wrong and all he had to do was sale the deep route and stick his cut across the filed and he would have been wide open.

What in the heck are you talking about? Stacy to clear what? DB didn't line up wrong on Waters. How do you "sell" the deep route when you're running a designed quick in? Walford was smothered.

That was your standard read route. The DB lined up on Waters wrong and he should have made him pay for it. If Brad would have waited he has waters streaking wide open and that was the reason Waters was so upset after the play. Kayaa went the wrong way.

It was a great play call because either the safety and LB jumps the underneath routes leaving Dorsett man to man on the post or the jump the post leaving the entire middle of the field open. FSU jumped the Dorsett route and if brad had waited he had Waters wide open.

Stacy is having a bad year because his QB simply does not throw it to him. Brad does not like to stand in the pocket at the point in his career. Stacy is open a lot but brad likes the underneath routes

Both corners lined up exactly the same way on the inside shoulder with inside leverage. Unless you know the actual playcall, I'm skeptical of your guess. I don't know the playcall, but I'm telling you exactly what was seen on the video. If you want to actually jump in with some detail, perhaps it'd further the discussion. You're not even mentioning the route Waters ran or the fact he was facing inside leverage AND a Safety over the top literally standing at the sticks. Whether or not it was a read route, it's odd that it would be a primary read for Kaaya on that play because he literally never even peeked over. He was completely fixated on the Walford/Dorsett combo in the middle.

As for the Stacy stuff, that's neither here nor there on this play. I don't necessarily disagree about Brad's preferences. He's going to throw the ball in rhythm right now until he gets more comfortable and willing to improvise. I've mentioned how his next evolution is to climb and slide in the pocket to extend plays.

FSU1_zps75dd94bf.jpg

Kayaa made the wrong read and Waters ran a poor route. The FSU DB is lined up wrong. If Waters sales the route and cuts to the middle of the field there would be no way that that DB could recovered. He would have had to turn completely around because he is facing the wrong way.

But it would not have mattered because Kayaa never looked. Also if he would have waited Walford flashed opened. This was an easy pattern read that we did not execute

FSU1_zps75dd94bf.jpg

Kayaa made the wrong read and Waters ran a poor route. The FSU DB is lined up wrong. If Waters sales the route and cuts to the middle of the field there would be no way that that DB could recovered. He would have had to turn completely around because he is facing the wrong way.

But it would not have mattered because Kayaa never looked. Also if he would have waited Walford flashed opened. This was an easy pattern read that we did not execute

You're repeating your conclusions without supporting them. You have now repeated the same thing 3x, so I imagine you're not interested in a discussion. Waters ran a quick in! What "sale" are you talking about? The DB was facing the sideline forcing him outside because he had a Safety over the top.

You're right, Kaaya never even looked to his left (where Waters ran a quick in directly at a DB positioned to defend a quick in), which is why I'm skeptical of your previous post. Walford NEVER flashed open. The only time his man came off of him was when Kaaya released the ball. Walford was smothered in his out pattern.

If you're serious, which I can't tell, we can go back and forth if you bring something new. If you're trolling, please exit the thread. It's not helpful to what is already a cluster* of a board.

Advertisement

FSU1_zps75dd94bf.jpg

You're repeating your conclusions without supporting them. You have now repeated the same thing 3x, so I imagine you're not interested in a discussion. Waters ran a quick in! What "sale" are you talking about? The DB was facing the sideline forcing him outside because he had a Safety over the top.

You're right, Kaaya never even looked to his left (where Waters ran a quick in directly at a DB positioned to defend a quick in), which is why I'm skeptical of your previous post. Walford NEVER flashed open. The only time his man came off of him was when Kaaya released the ball. Walford was smothered in his out pattern.

If you're serious, which I can't tell, we can go back and forth if you bring something new. If you're trolling, please exit the thread. It's not helpful to what is already a cluster* of a board.

Water should have sold the route. With the DB turned the way that he was it should have alerted Waters that the DB was squatting. Waters should have sold the deep out our fly patter and as soon as the DB turned his hips, Waters should have cut hard towards the middle of the field.

That should have been an easy pitch and catch. The play call by James Coley was designed properly and UM actually got the match up that they wanted.

FSU1_zps75dd94bf.jpg

Water should have sold the route. With the DB turned the way that he was it should have alerted Waters that the DB was squatting. Waters should have sold the deep out our fly patter and as soon as the DB turned his hips, Waters should have cut hard towards the middle of the field.

That should have been an easy pitch and catch. The play call by James Coley was designed properly and UM actually got the match up that they wanted.

Ok, I'll keep goin'. For fun.

You're saying Waters should have sold the route, but he ran a quick in. By design, apparently. What should he have sold? He got a free release, went upfield and planted for his quick in. Are you saying he should have run a different route? If UM got the matchup it wanted, why did Kaaya never even look in that direction? Like, drop back and never even peek at the matchup it designed, but supposedly didn't execute?

Look forward to bumping this thread through the likelihood of being trolled.

I always laugh when people that don't know football feel the need to challenge Lu.

The man knows his stuff, respect it.

I always laugh when people that don't know football feel the need to challenge Lu.

The man knows his stuff, respect it.

I prefer the discussion. I learn more and gain more insight here than I actually provide, but sometimes it's unclear if it's straight trolling.

Advertisement
Excellent breakdown Lu... as always, Shadow's board would love to have you ( and I don't mean the regular board) -- and there are less imbeciles.

My take is that a WR read coverage differntly than Kaaya which resulted in the bunching of WR's. Though I will say that Coley has a history of running route trees that are asking an awful lot of the QB. The real ***** of this drive was that Yearby, two plays before, was a shoestring tackle away from having UM at the 10.

BTW, and I know this board hates to give another team props, Jalen Ramsey was a monster on Saturday.

Last edited:

FSU1_zps75dd94bf.jpg

You're saying Waters should have sold the route, but he ran a quick in. By design, apparently. What should he have sold? He got a free release, went upfield and planted for his quick in. Are you saying he should have run a different route? If UM got the matchup it wanted, why did Kaaya never even look in that direction? Like, drop back and never even peek at the matchup it designed, but supposedly didn't execute?

As I commented ... That Waters' route, in particular, is tough to explain. LOL

But seriously ... S. Coley and Walford being in the same area makes next to no sense ...

Still suggests to me, one of them ran the wrong route. But who knows???

would have liked to see duke leak out after the chip right to the middle of the field.. if there were that many guys covering dorsett, there couldn't be anyone but an LB left to cover duke.

FSU1_zps75dd94bf.jpg

That was a pattern read meaning the WR adjust his route based on the defense. Rashard Green from FSU makes a living running the exact same play.

The WR has to get the DB out of the squat technique. Waters ran a shallow in/slant route in which he rounded off his route. That was the worst thing he could have done.

To get the DB out of that squat Waters needed to sale the deep route. With the DB facing the direction he was, it would have been impossible for the DB to turn his body completely if Waters sold the deep route then cut towards the open area of the field.

The play call got a one on one match up with the middle of the field completely open. That was the match up that UM wanted. FSU jumped on the Dorsett and Walford routes even tho Walford was able to flash open.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back